PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms come at random?

DavidJ85
19-02-07, 10:12
A query for everyone really.

I get these symptoms every day to some extent:

Tingling/electric shock sensations in tips of fingers/hands
Slight headaches
Dizziness/Light headedness
Heart rate up and now/palpitations
Body feeling hot then cold

Are these all related to panic attack if I get say one at a time but dont feel an overall sense of panic?

Are these related to the anxiety disorder I feel I have as I just cant seem to justify these as a panic/anxiety symptoms?

Just wondered if anyone is in the same boat?

If Im active I wont notice the tingling fingers but heart does feel like it wants to come out of my chest and the dizziness comes and goes every day and gets worse and better?

Sorry just need closure on this really as Im sure Im ill

russ
19-02-07, 14:12
Hi David,

You certainly should see your GP over these symptoms, that is the first thing anyone will tell you.

If your GP has given you the all-clear, that will be a relief to you.

However, all the symptoms you describe can be found in people who suffer anxiety. We are all a complicated mixture of emotional and physical feelings. In the sense of anxiety, much of what you describe can be put down to emotions releasing chemicals into your body and giving you physical feelings.

A few months ago I was much like you. I have these signs of illness, yet had been given the all-clear by my doctor. I didn't *feel* anxious, so how could I have anxiety? However, if you think about it, if our anxiety had a rational release, i.e. if we felt it and could do something about it, we wouldn't get the physical symptoms?

The way I think about it is thus. We have certain emotional states, these can be subconcious, however, when we get them it throws our body into a reaction and this produces the physical feelings. I.E. we are not dealing with the emotional stress, so our body does if for us by a physical reaction.

I didn't think I was stressed or anxious, yet others did. Looking back rationally my father and nan were ill for 18 months with cancer, that produced stress. Both passed away, numerous other things went wrong. Yet after this I didn't feel anxious, but obviously I can see looking back I would have been superhuman not to be. It was probably because I didn't feel anxious, or didn't emotionally look after myself, that I have ended-up quite bad. I try to think of it like a sporting injury. If you run and run until your legs are sore, you have to rest. If you continue to run and run without stopping or changing what you do, you will continue to hurt yourself. The difficulty people have is accepting this also applys to emotions.

If this illness was as simple as saying "oh I have anxiety now" then many would have kicked it long ago. I'm afraid in my view when we develop this anxiety and symptoms, the body has kicked into a pattern and way of dealing with things which it takes time and a new way of doing things to beat.

I bet you don't feel anxious, yet you have had quite a bit of stress in your life in recent times? Yes everyone has this, but we all have different coping mechanisms. Mine was trying to ignore them, not deal with them, that only creates further problems.

I'm now at the stage of changing my diet, doing more exercise and trying to cope better with life, it is a long battle, but there is no short term answer or quick fix.

Hope that helps,

Filthy1
20-02-07, 12:07
hey there;
ive been feeling similar symptoms recently too, apparently when im not feeling anxious/panicky but thinking about it panic attacks always seemed to come out of the blue so why cant the anxiety symptoms. and i bet if i really looked at it, i was bringing them on myself by thinking "wow, im not feelin anxious"
and i dunno maybe they are like delayed symptoms liek depression, it coems out a while after something bad has happened to you.
who knows, but this seems to make sense to me, but if you are still worried seea doctor for sure.

DavidJ85
20-02-07, 12:19
Well I got made redundant but my symptoms were there before that so I actually dont think I'm stressed about anything as far as I think....

APART from the fact I think these symptoms are a bad illness and thats what brings on anxiety perhaps...I'm so confused.

Doc has put me forward for Neurological testing so perhaps he thinks it is something more than just anxiety?

ItWillPass
20-02-07, 16:01
I think that it is always a good idea to get tests done at the dr. just to rule anything serious out. But, it seems like 99.99999% of the time there is nothing serious wrong.

To answer your question, I have had all the same symptoms as you. I also got them totally at random. There have been times where I was really stressed, and I got no symptoms at all. Then, there were times when I really wasnt stressed, and the symptoms came full force. What Russ said is totally true. If anxiety were rational in when it chose to appear, it was never appear, because its really just never a rational expression of what is going on. Once one has had anxiety its kinda like fair game for it to appear whenever it wants to. Our job is to just recognize it for what it is, and not give it too much credit. Say to yourself, "okay, its just stupid panic symptoms, nothing else" Eventually it won't get the attention it craves and it will give up.

DavidJ85
20-02-07, 18:28
That does help matey

Usually I feel fully healthy so I think to myself, well if I had a serious problem it'd be getting a lot worse by now?

The dizziness is present everyday almost though but still a few people get this.

DavidJ85
22-02-07, 13:02
Another thing I wondered....

My tingling is always in different places on both arms/hands during a few days.

Like today for instance its in the corner of my left little finger and near my elbow and also my index finger is numb on my right hand.....this is odd.

Anyone else get this or am I just losing the plot? lol