PDA

View Full Version : Help - How am I going to collect my children from school?

lisa p
19-02-07, 10:25
Oh dear, the day I've been dreading, my children have gone back to school and I am dreading collecting them. Since I started taking meds over two weeks ago, other people very kindly collected them, but now they are all busy and I've got to do it today. Feel giddy and sick but know if I dont go I will keep finding excuses.

This is my third week on meds and dont really feel any better about going out.

What should I do, make a excuse and get somebody else to collect them or be brave??

Lisa p

latic
19-02-07, 11:32
Hi Lisa, I have the same problem. My sons playschool changed venue and felt like I was going to pass out this morning when dropping him off....... I didnt tho!!! I have to go and collect him in 45 minutes and not looking forward to it but I know ive got to. Please try and collect them, I know exactly how you feel, but the more we get out and carry on the easy it will eventually become. Take care hun and go for it xx

Piglet
19-02-07, 11:37
Well you could take the approach of 'I want to go today to practice my getting out and about skills'!!

Try and view school as a splendid way of practicing your skills of being out and about and that way they are sure to get better over time - just like footballers need to practice to get better, so do we!

Also try it in managable chunks - just do the odd day a week for now and combine this with other little walks - whatever feels comfortable to you.
The idea is to build your confidence so it does need to feel manageable (that's important)!!

If you try and think well the worst that can happen is that I have a panic attack - well yes this is embarassing and very unpleasent but it is not life threatening and with practice very slowly diminishes.

At the moment I am finding it most helpful to say to myself - that I don't want to be a prisoner at home when it's only my thinking and perceptions that are keeping me there!!

Love Piglet :)

belle
19-02-07, 13:36
Hi Lisa...

Just remember how brilliant you did a couple of weeks ago when you'd only been taking your meds for 8 days. You took the children out - that was amazing and you felt really good. The only difference between then and now is that in our minds we know we HAVE to do this, you didn't *need* to take the children out that day, but...we HAVE to collect our children and then its pressure to do something we don't always feel comfortable with and then we feel bad 'cause we can't do it - and there we have a nice vicious circle.

Lisa...you CAN do this. You always do, i have upmost faith in your ability to collect your children this afternoon :)

If its any consolation....you are definitely not alone! They still have my sons playground up meaning i have to walk further......but I CAN/WILL do it! (I can't drive there either - car is broken...lol)

Sarah x

(P.S - VERY wise words from Piglet!!!)

davidthegnome
19-02-07, 15:16
How far are you from the school? It might be easier to walk to pick them up if the school is within walking distance. If not, can I assume you're worried about driving? I've got some of that too.

As for what you should do, well it depends on how you feel and what meds you're on. If you feel you can drive safely, I'd say give it a go. One thing about anxious drivers is that they tend to actually be very safe drivers. This is because we're constantly on the alert for any danger. Have you had many accidents before? If not, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

One thing about driving is that if you're feeling too drowsy you should probably have someone else do it for you. Driving when tired isn't a good idea. Or if you get out on the road and start to feel lightheaded or dizzy, just pull over and give it a few minutes to pass.

All that said, if you feel you absolutely can't do it at all, ask someone else and don't kick yourself over it. You will get better in time and with patience and practice.

I find that practicing driving a little bit each day helps overcome the anxiety. It can be for five minutes to start, just drive a route you feel only a little anxious with, then keep going. By doing the things we fear (within reason, of course) I believe it is possible to greatly diminish the fear and eventually overcome it completely.

Good luck and God bless you and your family,

Dave

belle
19-02-07, 16:00
Hi Lisa,
How did you do?
I MADE IT....leaving later than the time they come out of school, i still had to wait and then my boy forgot his sandwich box/bag thingy!
Its all good today :)

Sarah x

lisa p
20-02-07, 11:48
Hi

Thanks for all the advice.

The good news is I did it, and the medication must be working a little as I was not shaking as much as I normally do and the panic was not as bad.

Take care all

Lisa

scoobygirl2005
20-02-07, 13:25
Well done! Am really pleased for you! See it wasn't too bad after all you did great! Keep up the good work and if you get panicky just keep taking deep breaths and think how well you did this time.

Scooby2005
x x

Piglet
20-02-07, 14:11
Well done Lisa :) :)

Piglet x

Granny Primark
20-02-07, 19:41
WELL DONE LISA.:) :) :)
You must feel so proud of yourself.

Take care
LYNN xx