PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with real fears?

uru
30-11-15, 21:34
I get anxious about a lot of things which don't end up being things to actually worry about. But what happens if your fear is founded?

For instance
What do people who worry about getting cancer, who then do get cancer do? How do you deal with real fears?

Lindyl
30-11-15, 21:51
They cope because they have no choice,sometimes the fear is worse than the reality ,cancer is not always a death sentence .

GingerFish
01-12-15, 12:34
I can cope when I see the fear right in front of me but can't cope with the fear and anxious thoughts of what might happen. Say when I think about my beloved pets dying, the dread I feel is overwhelming and I fear it would break me but when it happened in real life earlier in the year, it hurt like hell and broke my heart but you find a strength you never knew you had when you have no choice but to confront what you dread.

nicolad83
01-12-15, 12:46
hi im afraid of dying what comes next any advice on this ?? x

uru
01-12-15, 13:20
hi im afraid of dying what comes next any advice on this ?? x

Are you worried about dying or actually palpably scared of it?

Fishmanpa
01-12-15, 13:34
What do people who worry about getting cancer, who then do get cancer do? How do you deal with real fears?

The simple answer is: You just do.

I never worried about cancer but when the possibility reared it's ugly head, of course I was worried. How could you not be?

When I was diagnosed, there was no more worry really. Concern became determination and there was no time nor room for negativity. Talk about survival mode!

Humans are a resilient species. We're faced with adversity all the time and we survive.

I know of a few anxiety sufferers that have faced their worst fears and I can tell you that their anxiety took a back seat and they faced things head on. They're all doing well at this point and interestingly enough, their anxiety still remained in the back seat. Facing their fear made them stronger and also opened the door to see that living with worry is not really living.

Positive thoughts

CoraB
01-12-15, 15:13
I absolutely dread the time I actually do have anything. I don't feel like i will be able to cope at all and the thought of cancer inside me scares me so much at times I have suicidal thoughts because i can't bear the thought of it let alone if i was diagnosed.

I guess with anxiety, at least with mine, its always worst case scenario as well.

Magic
01-12-15, 16:00
I often think about the big C.
It's my main thing I think about.
Also the thought of anything happening to my family.
I don't know how they would cope without me to be sure!
When I had my heart operation they told me I could die.
I had to live with that thought for eighteen months.
Thank God I made it.
I don't mind pain. I can deal with pain, as I know what real pain is.
My husband's mate down the road has had cancer for many years
he is still going strong with medication. He is now eight five years old.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:for you all x

nicolad83
01-12-15, 16:51
its the reason I have anxiety in 2012 I had a real bad case of being scared about it but I seemed to manage it although still scared I could deal with it then in 2014 I lost a very close friend best friend same age as me 2 kids out of the blue she died and I think it shook me to the core xx

Sunflower2
01-12-15, 17:16
I suffered from severe anxiety driving, and then a few months later my brothers fiancé was killed in a car accident. I don't know how I coped with it, it was so awful and horrible for everyone and the worst thing for me was the funeral. I don't know how I managed it. But I just did it. I had to. You just have this inner strength that comes from nowhere and you deal with the issue. Anxiety is based on the fear of the Unknown and feeling unable to cope with the Unknown, not of the fear of actual events.

This was 2 and a half years ago now, and I still have anxiety, but I still drive. It has taught me that you can worry your whole life away, but it won't stop bad things from happening. It will stop you from enjoying good things though.

nicolad83
01-12-15, 17:28
That's what I feel im doing worrying my life away sometimes....I have 2 beautiful boys and I feel sometimes it spoils precious times I have with them I get so frustrated with myself for feeling the way I do xx