PDA

View Full Version : Severe anxiety about death/dying.

MentholMentos
30-11-15, 21:55
I'm new to this, but just struggling to find options.
I have a severe fear of death/dying. I've been having panic attacks constantly for the past few days, plus about 4 hours sleep. I'm just finding it hard to mentally deal with "life". I've always had some form of anxiety but recently it's been happening more often than not. Anyone else understand? Any help or advice on how to cope?
Thanks.

NicoleBx
30-11-15, 22:01
Hi Hun I'm new to this too. I'm having exactly the same and it all started with symptoms that I was getting and of course I googled and self diagnosed myself. I've been doctors and explained everything but he thinks I'm worrying over nothing. Glad someone is in the same boat as me I'm only 23 and don't want to be spending all my 20's worrying about things! What has brought all this on if u don't mind me asking? X

stressedanxious
30-11-15, 22:05
I have this same problem, I am so scared and have panic attacks daily. I can't stop thinking about it, I am such a hypochondriac I am always at the doctors office, I am convinced there is something wrong with me this time. Just hate this. Im 28 and I am terrified .

MentholMentos
30-11-15, 22:06
I'm 23 too! I don't really know what brings it on. Sounds so silly but I just think about dying and start having an anxiety attack. I've been driving and it happens, in bed, out and about. It seems to happen at any time really. And then i get more stressed. I've also tried speaking to my doctor and it's been brushed off as "oh everyone worries". It did get worse as I was pregnant with my son, and since then (almost 3 years) ive had constant anxiety attacks. I don't have many friends either as I live in a small town that I have no connections with, (my partner is from where we live), so I have never even opened up about my anxiety to anyone.

NicoleBx
30-11-15, 22:10
It's an absolute awful feeling, I think we should be enjoying our 20's not worrying about silly things! Glad we can all be there for eachother xx

stressedanxious
30-11-15, 22:10
I got really bad panic attacks after my baby was born too, I hate this so much, i just want to live happy again and not worry about everything. But when I have symptoms its just too hard to ignore them.

Njoy704
30-11-15, 22:22
Mine began after my son was born too. The fear of dying comes from me leaving him while he is so young still. Right now I'm so scared that my sinus infection is going to get into my brain and kill me. It's just so awful to feel like your dying all the time. It stresses everyone in my family out.

NicoleBx
30-11-15, 22:31
I'm the same! I've been having coxis pain and somehow am having terrible health anxiety with it its awful!!!

MentholMentos
30-11-15, 22:40
I mostly get frustrated at myself that I can't think of anything without my brain diverting to my inevitable death. I also sometimes wish that I believed in God as it would make it easier to deal with death. I get scared that any pain in my leg, knee and chest are signs of me about to die. It's affecting almost every part of my life and I feel sad that I'm not taken seriously when I talk about it to my doctor.

NicoleBx
01-12-15, 16:13
Are your doctors not referring u for any tests ???

Traceypo
01-12-15, 16:27
I've had health anxiety for 8 years, it also began after the birth of my son. I've convinced myself of all kinds of serious illnesses, my favourite being heart attack.
During this time, I've had bad months and good months, at my best, I had two years free from it.
My Doctor has sent me for zero tests, not even blood, the reason behind that is to not feed my anxiety, I have to admit, although frustrating at times, I fully agree with him, the alternative is that I've been having a heart attack spanning 8 years.
I've had two rounds of CBT, currently onto round 3, but I've found this so beneficial and I urge you all to discuss your fears and anxieties with your Doctor and discuss a plan best to support you.
Wishing yous all look, I've had months of where I believed I'd be dead at the end of each day, but I'm still here, going strong.
Xxx

kellie39
01-12-15, 16:48
I've had health anxiety for 8 years, it also began after the birth of my son. I've convinced myself of all kinds of serious illnesses, my favourite being heart attack.
During this time, I've had bad months and good months, at my best, I had two years free from it.
My Doctor has sent me for zero tests, not even blood, the reason behind that is to not feed my anxiety, I have to admit, although frustrating at times, I fully agree with him, the alternative is that I've been having a heart attack spanning 8 years.
I've had two rounds of CBT, currently onto round 3, but I've found this so beneficial and I urge you all to discuss your fears and anxieties with your Doctor and discuss a plan best to support you.
Wishing yous all look, I've had months of where I believed I'd be dead at the end of each day, but I'm still here, going strong.
Xxx

you sound like you have a good understanding doc, how long have you been with this doc?
ive been referred for cbt how are you finding it?
how do you cope with your anxiety? are you on meds ? what kind of symptoms do you have on a day to day basis with your anxiety?
sorry for all the questions but ive not had anxiety before and im trying to work out whats anxiety and whats not?
im calmer than i was but i still have the shakes and my bowels are loser than normal, my biggest problem is trying to tell my brain that this is down to anxiety and nothing else.
xx

Traceypo
01-12-15, 16:59
Hi hun,
I've been with my Doctor for 15 years, interestingly, he suffers from general anxiety, so he is brilliant with me.
I've never taken meds, mainly because I fear the side effects, and also fear taking them for life.
CBT has been brilliant, it helps you understand real worry and hypothetical worry. As my therapist said, is worrying for 24 hours a day going to achieve anything and keep me healthy, course it's not, intact the opposite, it's going to put stress on my body.
When I'm at my worst, I bounce from illness to illness, reassurance seeking from anyone I can find, Google is my enemy. To break this cycle, I stop visiting medical places unless absolutely necessary, I've taken breaks from this forum as sometimes it reinforces that I have anxiety and I can latch on to concerns I'd previously never thought about. I stay away from Google, if I'm tempted to look at a symptom I Google the symptom and put anxiety after it, you'll be amazed what the symptoms of anxiety can be.
CBT will take you out of your comfort zone, it will help you break negative thought patterns and the behaviours that come with it.
Good luck xxx

kellie39
01-12-15, 17:42
Hi hun,
I've been with my Doctor for 15 years, interestingly, he suffers from general anxiety, so he is brilliant with me.
I've never taken meds, mainly because I fear the side effects, and also fear taking them for life.
CBT has been brilliant, it helps you understand real worry and hypothetical worry. As my therapist said, is worrying for 24 hours a day going to achieve anything and keep me healthy, course it's not, intact the opposite, it's going to put stress on my body.
When I'm at my worst, I bounce from illness to illness, reassurance seeking from anyone I can find, Google is my enemy. To break this cycle, I stop visiting medical places unless absolutely necessary, I've taken breaks from this forum as sometimes it reinforces that I have anxiety and I can latch on to concerns I'd previously never thought about. I stay away from Google, if I'm tempted to look at a symptom I Google the symptom and put anxiety after it, you'll be amazed what the symptoms of anxiety can be.
CBT will take you out of your comfort zone, it will help you break negative thought patterns and the behaviours that come with it.
Good luck xxx

thank you so much
ive been with my gp for over 25 years and she is fab and totally understands how i think.
it is amazing how many symptoms you can have from anxiety, i never knew any of this before and i was totally shocked. i have never felt so out of control with this and its horrible.
im calmer now and im trying to be positive and just accept that the shaking and bowels (loser than normal) is just part of the anxiety and it will pass when im calm. its easy to say but harder to do some days but i know i need to do it.
thank you for your advice and good luck to you too xxx

Traceypo
01-12-15, 17:49
Thanks hun, read up on flight or fight, it will give you an understanding to why our bodies react this way to a 'perceived' threat, it helped me loads to be able to rationalise those powerful sensations.
Xxx

kellie39
01-12-15, 18:09
Thanks hun, read up on flight or fight, it will give you an understanding to why our bodies react this way to a 'perceived' threat, it helped me loads to be able to rationalise those powerful sensations.
Xxx

i have read about it and it does make you understand why your body does what it does. its the fact that ive still got the shakes ect even though ive calmer that confuses me and i find hard to understand but ive read on here that it is quite normal to still have symptoms after.
xx

MentholMentos
01-12-15, 18:27
Are your doctors not referring u for any tests ???

No. It just gets brushed off by my doctor. Ive asked for an appointment with another doctor but have to wait two weeks for an appointment. It makes the whole thing an ordeal. Makes me more anxious about talking about it and I'm trying to get help!

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

Sorry I just realised that question wasn't aimed at me. Still getting used to this.

Traceypo
01-12-15, 18:51
Menthol, what area in UK are you, in Northeast we have a self referral for talking therapies, it's brilliant and you don't need to see Gp. It may be worth giving them a call and putting those wheels in motion, you've nothing to lose, if when you're appointment comes around you don't feel ready, you've lost nothing. Xx