PDA

View Full Version : Communal Living

Roxy
17-10-03, 01:25
I was just wondering if anyone with social phobia is managing communal living? I'm currently living with 6 other women, and I often find myself in my room waiting till they are either all asleep or out till i cook. Does anyone manage it? and does anyone have any tips?

Roxy x

andrew
20-10-03, 20:06
Hi Roxy

I did struggle to eat in front of anybody for a long time. I never even realised until i read it as a social-anx. trait, even though people had said to me 'i never see you eat'.
Anyway i did start to try and change by having dinner at table with family and eating in front of other people i knew quite well, mainly at work. And i think just the general 'i am ok' and 'everyones not looking at me' attitudes made it abit of a non issue.
I still mainly eat on my own but i dont avoid in general, even though i have to think about sometimes.
Anyway dont go hungrey, you take care

Andrew

bishop
29-10-03, 14:27
hi roxy
try too join in with meal times and eat little bits at a time,as time goes by,you should learn too love food,think im going too enjoy this this looks really good ,it smells really good ,get some cook books and try new things,im a chocoholic myself,some times i cant go with out a bar of chocolate .
bish

Roxy
30-10-03, 00:50
I bit the bullet this week and went away with my course. We stayed in a hostel for the first few nights, so it was communal everything, eating, sleeping, showering. Had a lot of trouble the first few nights, but I managed it in the end, and had a great time! :D I couldn't eat whilst i was there because of the food allergies, but I manged something in the kitchen with my flat mates so i think i'm getting there :)

Roxy x

kate
30-10-03, 15:08
Good one Roxy! well done! Kate

andrew
30-10-03, 19:25
hi roxy

well done, jumped in at the deep end and came up swimming, sounds like your heading in a positive direction. keep us posted on how your doing.

take care andrew