PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get concerned about CT scans

KCJ506
01-12-15, 05:17
Within the last couple of months I've had various CT scans and X-rays done due to a fall I had in October. I've had scans done on my head which initially showed I had bleeding on the brain, but after having another scan it showed that there wasn't any bleeding, just bruising. I've also had scans done on my left shoulder because I fractured it when I fell and I had to wear a sling for a month.

Well around the beginning of November I had another CT scan on my head done and it came back normal. But just yesterday I went to see a neurosurgeon and he ordered another CT scan to maybe find out what was the cause of me falling. And then I just recently found out that too much radiation exposure can possibly cause problems sometime later on. Should I be concerned? Especially having several of them done only within the last couple of months? I've heard that MRI's are much safer. Is it too late to ask to have that done instead?

Njoy704
15-12-15, 06:34
I was worried about this as well after having and abdominal and pelvic ct scan. Then I talked to my cousin who is a radiation technologist and he told me cancer patients receive radiation dosages that are much higher and they have radiation therapy for weeks.

nivekc251
15-12-15, 07:32
I'd go with the MRI if the doc thinks it would be useful for that particular diagnosis. Just express your concerns about the amount of radiation u would be receiving. From what I gather an MRI is much more useful for brain imaging.