PDA

View Full Version : Unsympathetic doctor for panic attack treatment

anxious_writer
01-12-15, 06:40
Hi All,

This is my first post here and sorry if this isn't quite the right place for this.

I've been suffering from Panic Attacks and general anxiety for over 2 years. I had a huge panic attack friday night (night before my sisters wedding) which led to an ambulance being called...It was this event that finally convinced me that i needed to try some medication for my condition. I was of course anxious about going to see the doctor for this. And in the end my anxiety was warranted for once. She was well quite horrible but i suppose unsympathetic would be the correct word for it.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience when going to a doctor to ask for some help?
I have to go back on Friday to do a mental health plan - i'm not sure exactly what this is as she didn't explain it and by that point i just wanted top get out of there.

I think the answer is to change doctors but now i'm wondering if i will be greeted with the same kind of response and not caring attitude. :scared15:

nicolad83
01-12-15, 11:47
hi there, my doctor is the same.... I get very anxious about taking medication and she was not very nice about the fact that I didn't want to take it I have be referred for cbt so im hoping that helps x

GingerFish
01-12-15, 12:33
Yes I've experienced that many times with panic attacks and anxiety with doctors. Only 2 out of my entire GP surgery of 9 doctors took it seriously. Its very much trial and error when it comes to finding a doctor that not only is knowledge about how severe anxiety disorders can be but also are empathetic. I found that doctors took my OCD more seriously than they ever did for panics and anxiety which shocked me as OCD tends to get taken lightly by society and even played a joke sometimes so wasn't expecting to get urgent treatment for that.

Randara
01-12-15, 15:41
My experience at my last doctors surgery was very positive, I saw three different doctors about an illness and whenever we discussed y anxiety they were very understanding. Unfortunately I've had to change surgery as I've moved areas but my new one seems pretty on it too, I put on the registration form that I suffer from mental health problems and they've booked me for an OT assessment and to see a doctor.

I honestly think it depends on where you go, it's worth doing some research on different surgeries. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope your plan goes well x

ray.olsen
21-12-15, 04:58
Hey and Welcome :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear what you have went through. It's sucks to hear experiences involving medical health providers being inhospitable. They're supposed to be the ones who truly understand what the patient needs but instead they become hostile. That wouldn't be beneficial for anyone. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

Evidently the only thing we could do if this happens to us is to find another doctor. Don't worry there are many doctors out there and I'm sure you'll find the match you're looking for. :yesyes:

shelzmike
22-12-15, 05:50
Having been dealing with anxiety, panic, and agoraphobia for about 15 years now, I would have to say that a doc that is hesitant to hand out meds (with the caveat that they do offer actual alternatives) is a better doc than one who does the opposite (just throws meds at the wall and see's what sticks).

For the most part, meds will only relieve the symptoms, but if you want anything remotely close to cure, healing, or easier dealing with it, then therapy, CBT, meditation, exercise, etc. etc. are the better options.

HalfJack
22-12-15, 06:35
I've had many experiences like that, you're not alone with it at all.
When I was first diagnosed with Agoraphobia my Dr then said to get better i should "pull myself together". As you can imagine, that didn't work.

I actually just posted a thread about my new Dr being a bit ignorant. I've dreaded going back and also have to this week so you're not alone with that either, Good luck!

Is it possible for you to change your dr? (it is in the UK). With that first guy I mentioned I went to another Dr in the same doctors surgery by saying give me a Dr who can treat me with respect or I'm going to make an official complaint against him and this surgery.
Looking back on it now, I wish I had complained because he should not be practicing with that attitude.

If you have any family you can take with you, do. Because you'll be shocked how much more supportive drs will be with someone who isn't vulnerable by your side.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-15, 12:12
Having been dealing with anxiety, panic, and agoraphobia for about 15 years now, I would have to say that a doc that is hesitant to hand out meds (with the caveat that they do offer actual alternatives) is a better doc than one who does the opposite (just throws meds at the wall and see's what sticks).

For the most part, meds will only relieve the symptoms, but if you want anything remotely close to cure, healing, or easier dealing with it, then therapy, CBT, meditation, exercise, etc. etc. are the better options.

Completely agree with you, Mike. The guidelines overhere state therapy should be tried first unless the patient insists on drug therapy. The only way anyone recovers using meds alone is by learning to do what we are taught in therapy - but it's completely by chance and anything complex in your anxiety and you can forget it, you need guidance to understand it's "tricks".

Sadly overhere GP's dish them out like sweeties because therapists are lacking and expensive, when the most used antidepressants work out cheaper than our subsidised prescription charges!

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

I found that doctors took my OCD more seriously than they ever did for panics and anxiety which shocked me as OCD tends to get taken lightly by society and even played a joke sometimes so wasn't expecting to get urgent treatment for that.

It's funny you should say that. I can't remember the PD NICE guidance without checking but if you compare the GAD & OCD ones, OCD gains access to complex support far easier than those with GAD.

I don't know how they believe OCD is more debilitating than GAD on average, I have both and they are both equally destructive.

Danath
22-12-15, 15:22
a lot of docs are heartless when it comes to mental health problems, see different doctors until you find one a bit more sympathetic