PDA

View Full Version : A lot of symptoms pointing to MS?

DrgnFly50
01-12-15, 10:02
Hi, lately I've been suffering from quite a few symptoms, which when Googled, obviously pointed towards MS/ALS. (Ooops)

I'm just here to ask for opinions and whether others share these similar/same symptoms and if they had been diagnosed.

The symptoms are:

Both hands & feet ache especially after waking in the morning
Finding it hard to wake up in the morning, I use an app to record my sleep patterns (and also records any noise) I talk a lot in my sleep now and move about often
When I smile my face twitches (muscles near the lips)
Left fingers often are numb, the 4th and 5th to be precise. However, with the 4th finger, it seems like only half of it (vertically) goes numb?
Fingers have changed in size and shape (looks wider)
Fingernails have slightly moved/also changed shape & size
Muscles around both thumbs hurt
Bad balance (used to have very good balance)
Bad memory - forget a lot of stuff
GI problems like constipation/the GI area makes a lot of loud noises (rumbles) I also can see my heartbeat through my t-shirt all the time.
Left arm doesn't swing when walking
TERRIBLE LEFT EYE & JAW PAIN FOR OVER A YEAR. Been to opticians, hospital, dentist etc for both - they can't find any problems with it, but its horrific.
I also get a LOT of eye floaters

In terms of any medical problems I know that I already have, I did have severe Psoriasis in 2013. However now it's just a small 1cm spot - I got it under control through dieting. My diet this year has been pretty bad though.

I know these are quite a lot of symptoms; however please do share your opinions if you can.

CoraB
01-12-15, 15:45
I have many of the same symptoms and so far my Dr just says it is the flu or viral even though I haven't had a cold or sore throat or anything.

Have you mentioned your concerns about MS to a doctor? I just came out with it and said i was panicking and listed off my aches, pains etc and she said she wasn't concerned at all about MS.

This reassured me for all of about 5 minutes.

Do you get actual sharp pain or is it achey? I get both and like cramps in my legs.

daisyflower
01-12-15, 15:56
Arm doesn't swing when walking and nails have changed position? My sister in law has MS and trust me, you do NOT sound like you have MS. Sounds like you have health anxiety, not MS...

DrgnFly50
01-12-15, 17:03
I have many of the same symptoms and so far my Dr just says it is the flu or viral even though I haven't had a cold or sore throat or anything.

Have you mentioned your concerns about MS to a doctor? I just came out with it and said i was panicking and listed off my aches, pains etc and she said she wasn't concerned at all about MS.

This reassured me for all of about 5 minutes.

Do you get actual sharp pain or is it achey? I get both and like cramps in my legs.

Not yet, but I think I will. I get a sharp pain in my eye/jaw and the rest of more of an achey pain. Earlier this year I used to get a lot of fasciculations in my left calf, but that went away too. Right now I'm trying to supplement with a lot of vitamins, minerals etc to see if it'll work...

I've been reading about Hyaluronic Acid & how it can aid joint pain today...I purchased a bottle, I'll see how it goes :)

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Arm doesn't swing when walking and nails have changed position? My sister in law has MS and trust me, you do NOT sound like you have MS. Sounds like you have health anxiety, not MS...

Thanks, there were quite a few symptoms to Google, and as always, Google comes up with the most sinister. I wonder if they'll change their search engine in the future to show the most common problems with X symptoms as the first result...

Fishmanpa
01-12-15, 17:16
Google is the enemy to the HA sufferer but you know that. That being said, if you type in a symptom followed by the word "anxiety" you'll see that it's common with what the real issue is.

Positive thoughts

itoldyouiwasill
01-12-15, 18:12
Number 4 is an ulnar nerve thing. It is incredible how many people who suffer from anxiety experience this and its quite bizarre as you do have to wonder as to how anxiety could actually cause it. My theory is that it is due to muscular tension in the shoulder area that causes the referred sensation. Do you get it upon waking as this seems to be the most common manifestation...it also seems to get really quickly just by shaking your hand etc...alot quicker than usual pins and needles etc.

itwillbefine
01-12-15, 20:44
I'll help provide an answer to that in three months when I get my test results. It's a good theory.

CoraB
02-12-15, 08:31
Not yet, but I think I will. I get a sharp pain in my eye/jaw and the rest of more of an achey pain. Earlier this year I used to get a lot of fasciculations in my left calf, but that went away too. Right now I'm trying to supplement with a lot of vitamins, minerals etc to see if it'll work...

I've been reading about Hyaluronic Acid & how it can aid joint pain today...I purchased a bottle, I'll see how it goes :)

I'm trying that tack too - I will definitely try the Hyaluronic Acid. Yesterday I started getting really sharp pains in my neck and back of my head and now I feel like my bottom lip is numb. Just never stops :-(

DrgnFly50
02-12-15, 16:36
True, I'm not sure how many of these symptoms can be put down to anxiety...but it's definitely something I have to work on :/

Google is the enemy to the HA sufferer but you know that. That being said, if you type in a symptom followed by the word "anxiety" you'll see that it's common with what the real issue is.

Positive thoughts

Yeah I think its ulnar too. That's interesting, and sometimes, but it also randomly occurs; the fingers start to tingle a little.

Number 4 is an ulnar nerve thing. It is incredible how many people who suffer from anxiety experience this and its quite bizarre as you do have to wonder as to how anxiety could actually cause it. My theory is that it is due to muscular tension in the shoulder area that causes the referred sensation. Do you get it upon waking as this seems to be the most common manifestation...it also seems to get really quickly just by shaking your hand etc...alot quicker than usual pins and needles etc.

It can take a while to work so I've heard...and damn :(

I'm trying that tack too - I will definitely try the Hyaluronic Acid. Yesterday I started getting really sharp pains in my neck and back of my head and now I feel like my bottom lip is numb. Just never stops :-(

Traceypo
02-12-15, 17:50
I'll back the number 4 one, when I was a kid, I broke my arm, part of my elbow came away and was pressing on the nerve, because of that, my little finger and my fourth finger were numb. Check your posture, do you tend to lean on your elbows?
Xxx

DrgnFly50
02-12-15, 18:47
I'll back the number 4 one, when I was a kid, I broke my arm, part of my elbow came away and was pressing on the nerve, because of that, my little finger and my fourth finger were numb. Check your posture, do you tend to lean on your elbows?
Xxx

I do! Looks like that may be the reason behind it then...I'll need to be more mindful in regards to my posture from now on and see if it improves it! Thanks :)

itwillbefine
02-12-15, 20:12
This afternoon I went for a coffee with a colleague, and he said - oh, I've had that for 15 years! He just attributed it to age.

That, and our little thread here, calmed me down today about that particular symptom and explains why my neurologist wants a carpal tunnel examination. He did say let's see if there's a trapped nerve somewhere, and I completely disregarded that suspection because of all my other neuro-like symptoms.

DrgnFly50
03-12-15, 12:46
This afternoon I went for a coffee with a colleague, and he said - oh, I've had that for 15 years! He just attributed it to age.

That, and our little thread here, calmed me down today about that particular symptom and explains why my neurologist wants a carpal tunnel examination. He did say let's see if there's a trapped nerve somewhere, and I completely disregarded that suspection because of all my other neuro-like symptoms.

Do you get numbness in your fingers from Carpal Tunnel?

itwillbefine
03-12-15, 13:00
Yes you do. No need to Google. I took Care of that��