PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing fear of periods - new phobia after experiencing heavy flow

ClipClop
01-12-15, 15:11
Hi Ladies,

So sorry if this is TMI - I'm just fed up of being frightened and not being able to talk to anyone about this without being told to stop being silly (it's just about "being a woman" after all, eh?!).

To cut a long story short, for the last six months or so I have sometimes been experiencing brief, albeit quite frightening, heavy "hours" should I say. I've always been quite light, but for some reason some cycles recently (not every one) gets really heavy for about an hour or two, always on the third day. Enough to use two forms of protection and for it to 'drip' out in front of my eyes. Sorry - I know that's gross. I know a lot of women get this every time, but for me it's "new". I've therefore booked an ultrasound scan next week to check for anything abnormal. (BTW - I'm not pre-menopause age so def know it's not that.) I'm hoping it's just stress related changes. I've been chronically stressed and anxious since a sudden family bereavement 2 years ago.

However, I've now reached the point with my anxiety where I am literally checking every hour for any 'flooding' and, anything even slightly heavy looking makes me panic. I have this vision of bleeding and not being able to stop; of ending up in A&E or something. It's reached the point now where I'm actually scared of my own period! Even just the sight of 'normal' blood!! (FYI - I don't have a general fear of blood). It's almost as if my mind has forgotten that periods are normal! I have this horrible sense of something awful about to happen.

Whenever I try to explain this to another female they normally just give me practical advice like "just wear extra protection" and laugh at the "joys" of womanhood. They don't get that for some odd reason I'm sh*t scared!

The silly thing is that I actually see a therapist but I'm embarrassed to bring it up with him because he's male, and, I fear, won't understand or will think I'm over-reacting. I'm not quite comfortable to talk about my menses with him!

Sorry for rambling. I just didn't know where else to turn... :-(

Can anyone else advise or relate?...

Thank you xxx

misslove
04-12-15, 01:07
Are you on any sort of birth control? I think most of them Help to lighten your periods. Try to talk to an gyno Dr. There's are treatments for heavy periods. But def call your women dr. You shouldn't be embarrassed to talk to a women doc. They have went thru it too!

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Also how old are you and have you had kids? That's a factor too.

Pepperpot
04-12-15, 18:52
Hey

Never be embarrassed to post on here - it's a perfectly normal bodily function and you're just asking for advice. My periods have went the other way - lighter. I don't really have any advice as such, but to me it doesn't sound abnormal - like the poster above says, maybe going on the pill could help? x