PDA

View Full Version : Just coughed and felt a pop in my back now pain :(

GirlAfraid23
01-12-15, 22:11
As the title states.
I've had rib and shoulder pain for a while now. I just coughed while sitting at an awkward angle and felt a pop/crack, now I'm in a lot of pain.
Twisting around is agony and standing/walking is worse than sitting.
Laying back or leaning back is very painful and almost impossible.

I have ice on it but don't know what else to do.

Lifelonganxiety!
01-12-15, 22:28
Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. Continue to ice it. Don't strain if possible and rest in the most comfortable position you can find. Sounds totally like a pulled muscle which will go with correct treatment or at least feel a lot better soon.

GirlAfraid23
01-12-15, 22:36
Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. Continue to ice it. Don't strain if possible and rest in the most comfortable position you can find. Sounds totally like a pulled muscle which will go with correct treatment or at least feel a lot better soon.

Thanks. It's incredibly painful especially when lying back. No idea how I'm supposed to sleep tonight. I'm off work at the mo with the chest infection & pain but said I'd be back on Thursday :( doesn't look like I will be now :weep:
I don't know what to do.

I'm still coughing so that's not helping, each time I cough it feels like a knife stabbing me. Do I need to go to a&e?

Lifelonganxiety!
01-12-15, 22:52
Only you can be the judge of whether you need to go to A&E but to me, from far away, it seems like a muscle pull from coughing so much. Yes, it sucks, and yes, it will be painful (take the ibuprofen!) and try to just ice and rest. The best way to also rest is to control your cough to stop the muscle contracting, harder said than done I know but I hope you're taking some cough medicine.

I imagine that's all they would tell you to do at the hospital after a long wait there...

GirlAfraid23
01-12-15, 22:55
Only you can be the judge of whether you need to go to A&E but to me, from far away, it seems like a muscle pull from coughing so much. Yes, it sucks, and yes, it will be painful (take the ibuprofen!) and try to just ice and rest. The best way to also rest is to control your cough to stop the muscle contracting, harder said than done I know but I hope you're taking some cough medicine.

I imagine that's all they would tell you to do at the hospital after a long wait there...

True, I just hope I haven't popped a rib out :weep: or broken a rib.

How long can you take ibuprofen? I've been taking them for 8 days for the previous pain.

Lifelonganxiety!
01-12-15, 23:01
They're pretty safe as long as you don't combine a lot of them with alcohol. I don't think it'll be a problem to take them for a few more days.

If you can handle the pain overnight with ice and rest and it gets better then no worries. If the pain worsens or anything else develops then go get it checked out.

Randara
01-12-15, 23:23
Hiya :)

I had a really bad cough at the start of the year, so can totally relate to you.

I found an article online that said about how to help back pain and I found it helped for me. Basically, if you sleep on your side put a pillow between your legs by your knees and if you sleep on your back then put a pillow under both your knees. It's something to do with re-aligning your spine.

GirlAfraid23
02-12-15, 11:40
It still really hurts this morning.
I just sneezed and felt like I'd been shot.

Is ice or heat a better option?

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

They do heat patches in Boots - is this a good idea?

Mindknot
02-12-15, 15:58
Ice to start with, avoid heat at the moment. The compression/elevation part will be difficult because of where it is, but if you can prop yourself up in bed comfortably, that's as good a treatment as any.

---
PRICE therapy
PRICE stands for:
Protection – protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or (in the case of an ankle injury) wearing shoes that enclose and support your feet, such as lace-ups.
Rest – stop the activity that caused the injury and rest the injured joint or muscle. Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours after injuring yourself. Your GP may recommend you use crutches.
Ice – for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury, apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Do not leave the ice on while you are asleep, and do not allow the ice to touch your skin directly, because it could cause a cold burn.
Compression – compress or bandage the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. You can use a simple elastic bandage or elasticated tubular bandage available from a pharmacy. It should be wrapped snuggly around the affected area, but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. Remove the bandage before you go to sleep.
Elevation – keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. If your leg is injured, avoid having long periods of time where your leg is not raised.

ash1
21-05-17, 17:08
hi GirlAfraid23

Did this finally Heal for you as im going threw the same thing now , i sneezed i was squatting and then all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain like somthink burst inside on the right side of my body like in the middle of lower ribs and hip, after about an hour the pain started to ease i took some pain relif couldnt move very good when to the doctors they said is a pulled muscle 2 days after this happed i just woke up go out of bed i sneexed again sharp pain but not it a dull pain its like my side has been kicked in. just really need to know how it went for you thanks ash

Bigboyuk
21-05-17, 17:48
hi GirlAfraid23

Did this finally Heal for you as im going threw the same thing now , i sneezed i was squatting and then all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain like somthink burst inside on the right side of my body like in the middle of lower ribs and hip, after about an hour the pain started to ease i took some pain relif couldnt move very good when to the doctors they said is a pulled muscle 2 days after this happed i just woke up go out of bed i sneexed again sharp pain but not it a dull pain its like my side has been kicked in. just really need to know how it went for you thanks ash Hi Ash this thread is 2 years old now and both posters haven't been on line for a good while perhaps start your own thread :) Cheers