PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the Drs

uru
03-12-15, 13:12
She diagnosed me with mixed anxiety/depression and panic.

I've got to call Mind and take some tablet.

I broke down in tears in the surgery...It was all too much. I feel a little better now though.

MrAndy
03-12-15, 13:16
dont feel sad ,what you have done is take your first step to recovery be reaching out for help.You can now get the support you need to get better and move on with life.Well done for taking that first step and going to see your doctor

uru
03-12-15, 13:39
Thank you. I hope you're right. I get the feeling this is something I will be dealing with for the rest of my life though...

MrAndy
03-12-15, 13:51
Thank you. I hope you're right. I get the feeling this is something I will be dealing with for the rest of my life though...
your wrong anxiety and depression can be recovered from fully ,my mother had a nervous breakdown about 8 years ago and is now in the best form of her life.Fully recovered and fighting fit,you need to stay positive and accept any help and support you can get .
Millions of people go through this every day and recover but dont write about it on the internet ,they simply move on with life
be patient and stay strong

uru
03-12-15, 13:59
you're wrong, anxiety and depression can be recovered from fully, my mother had a nervous breakdown about 8 years ago and is now in the best form of her life. Fully recovered and fighting fit,you need to stay positive and accept any help and support you can get.
Millions of people go through this every day and recover but don't write about it on the internet, they simply move on with life be patient and stay strong

:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-15, 07:28
I agree with Andy. My dad suffered depression for 2 years when he was in his thirties. He is now mid seventies and never had it since.

For some people it lasts, for others they find their way out of the maze and recover fully. It's early days but you can recover.

Don't worry about breaking down, you will find a lot of us on here have done that at some point. I'm not someone who cries in front of others but I have done it in front of my parents when I was really bad. We might be men but we are not machines and there is only so much emotional build up we can take before it needs to come out. It's healthy really, as long as it doesn't become a coping technique.

I take it MIND are your IAPT service provider. GP's can refer you themselves but they can be lazy and just tell the patient to do it! :doh: I don't know why the NHS is letting off with this as one surgery hit the national press a couple of years ago for it and the NHS waded in with an investigation but a lot of them seem to be doing it now. Your GP is your primary care provider and to me this is unacceptable. But if you have any issues accessing CBT, go back to your GP and get them to chase it up as it will mean a lot more coming from your GP.

Movielife
04-12-15, 09:19
your wrong anxiety and depression can be recovered from fully ,my mother had a nervous breakdown about 8 years ago and is now in the best form of her life.Fully recovered and fighting fit,you need to stay positive and accept any help and support you can get .
Millions of people go through this every day and recover but dont write about it on the internet ,they simply move on with life
be patient and stay strong

Great post.

uru
04-12-15, 14:54
Thanks Terry.

I rang and they said they would call me back next week and that there was quite a long waiting list. I feel like I really need to talk to someone right away but I guess I have no choice...

apm
04-12-15, 16:04
What meds have you been prescribed? Probably SSRI, but they will help!

MrAndy
04-12-15, 16:23
Call mind or the Samaritans

uru
04-12-15, 16:28
What meds have you been prescribed? Probably SSRI, but they will help!

Buspirone 15 milligrams...

MyNameIsTerry
05-12-15, 06:27
Yeah, the waiting lists can be an issue for CBT. Accessing Level 2 services is quicker as they are less involved but otherwise it's in the queue with everyone else. If you are very severe, as in possibility of self harm, then it can be quicker but thats because you won't normally be dealing with IAPT but the more common sense approach of the community mental health teams however they can be even longer waits and it's more about just getting you stabilised.

As Andy says, if you need to talk because of your worries, you can give people like The Samaritans a call. They can't help you with moving forward like a therapist can but they can listen to you which can help.

I've just seen another thread you raised about an epiphany you've had. Whilst you are waiting, you could try a CBT book as it might help you as you seen to be logical in how you approach things and may take to it. Your GP can easily write you a book prescription for a CBT book.

uru
05-12-15, 08:45
Hi terry,

Thanks for all your help. :)

I just woke up after quite a long period (maybe 2 hours) and I feel somewhere between bad and good. Which is an improvement.

Which books do you recommend? Or does it not matter?

MyNameIsTerry
05-12-15, 09:09
There is a list of books they will allow you to have on a prescription.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/self-help-therapies.aspx
http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=4795

This is the prescription list though:

http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6320

I haven't read any CBT books as I used online guides instead. However, if you like Mindfulness combined with CBT, the books by Professor Mark Williams are top sellers and the Frantic World one I have is very good.

I tend to use this site a lot for tools and there are some very helpful guides in there too at the bottom of the Downloads page:

http://psychology.tools/cbt.html

They have some very useful links too. For instance, on the CBT page they have ones with examples of therapy strategies like this one:

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/8/6/453.full.pdf+html

There CBT guides are here:

http://www.self-help.tools/what-is-cbt.html