PDA

View Full Version : Night Time Panics

Gutsy
19-02-07, 18:26
Hi guys, I've been reading the posts and posted a little intro on myself too.

What's currently happening to me is mainly in the night times, as I'm about to go to sleep, or even during sleep. I get a really dry mouth, my heart beats really really fast, I feel terrified, I go "ashen" as my husband puts it, and he says I shake. Oh yes, and it feels like my arms and legs aren't there. Sometimes one of these things happens at a time and sometimes they all gang up and whack me together. I think possibly the worst thing of all this is they've been keeping him AND me awake.

This is different to my initial panic attacks which were heart palpitations while I was exercising, at age 15. I then had a few more through the years, when I lost my job once. Now it's every night just about. I had a very stressful day today so I await this evening with interest. Basically are there any breathing techniques, calming drink, ANYTHING, that will help me? Thank you.

davidthegnome
19-02-07, 20:03
Hi Gutsy. There are a number of things you can do to help yourself with this. First off, if you haven't seen a Doctor yet I would suggest getting in to see one. This should help bring you more peace of mind if you're worried about your health during this time of anxiety and panic attacks. Have you been perscribed medication? It can be a big help, as much as some people don't like taking it. Lorazepam has really been a life-saver for me.

As for drinks, in general I'd suggest drinking two litres of water every day. Other than that, there are remedies known as Bach's herbal essences or something like that. You can find out about them on the forum here or just do a search on google for them. The main one that should be a big help is rescue remedy, people have said many times that it really helps them a lot. There are also other remedies you can get from Bach's.

As for breathing techniques, there is one suggested on the forum somewhere. Look under self help and read the info that has been provided there, it may prove to be a big help to you. For me, breathing helps some times, particularly when my heart is racing fast. Generally I place one hand on my stomach and one on my chest and breath in, letting my stomach fill with air slowly, then I take a slow breath out feeling it sink. You could try counting as you're doing this as well, as it is great for distracting you from the panic.

I had a situation very similar to yours and I was actually admitted into an adult crisis center for a while. Over time though the panic attacks reduced in intensity and number and they will for you too. All the symptoms you're experiencing I've had too. The feeling like your arms and legs aren't there, shaking, palpitations. At one point it took me weeks to really be able to get back to sleeping at night. Just keep holding on, you'll do it.

Getting in to see a Doctor, a Psychiatrist, or a therapist could really be a big help for you as well. Remember these things can't hurt you, as scary as they are, panic attacks cannot harm you. This too, shall pass.

Good luck and god bless you,

Dave

sulmare
19-02-07, 20:58
have not experienced them like that Gutsy, but my initial answer would be something to help you sleep... you must be exhausted and that will intensify the fear of attacks.. meds may give you enough space to break the cycle... (((hugs)))

Gutsy
20-02-07, 13:26
Thanks guys

Yay, I did have a good night's sleep last night ... watched TV and fell asleep on the couch ... (not ideal but hey, it's sleep). Anyway. I also didn't drink any coffee last night.

Dave, I have been to a doc to make sure there's nothing physically wrong. He just said my iron is slightly low and cholesterol slightly high. So I'm taking things to try and sort that out. But according to him they're not causing this, although I'm pretty sure myself that low iron for one can't be helping. I'm glad I'm not alone. That feeling of the arms and legs not being there is really weird isn't it?

Sulmare - I've been thinking of sleeping tablets. I may give them a try if the breathing doesn't work. I will have to find out which ones to take though, so as not to make it worse!!

freakle
20-02-07, 13:50
Hey Gutsy,

I used to get them alot too, they used to really scare me. I take melatonin tablets now which are herbal sleeping tablets, and this seems to of done the trick for me :)

Take care,

Zoe xx

Sunkid
20-02-07, 17:44
Hi Gutsy

Seems like we are from the same part of the woods. I also battle with night times - ever since I was a kid. I totally empathise with your symptoms because they have freaked me out a lot in the past. The problem I experience now is that I start getting anxious about going to sleep in anticipation of having a bad night and it becomes a vicious cycle that just takes me on a roller coaster ride. It helped me a lot when I just experienced the panic attack in stead of fighting it. I am able to admire the body's ability to create all these feelings and symptoms. This has enabled me to become calm a lot quicker and to not fear the panic as much. I also read a lot before going to bed as it takes my mind off things and I am able to gradually relax. Hang in there because there are days when things go much better and these are the days that I live for at the moment.
Remember to make the days count in stead of counting them!

Gutsy
21-02-07, 17:03
Thanks Freakle and Sunkid. Sunkid is a good name for the weather we are having - 36 deg Celsius in Johannesburg today!! Good to see a fellow "Seffrican" on here. I've had two "good" nights in a row now - mainly because I've allowed myself to fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV. Right now I don't care - I need sleep!! There will obviously come a time when have to fall asleep in bed though. I was wonderng about drinking a glass of milk before bed. Does that help anyone?

I have a theory about panic attacks. I think in olden times people were under a different kind of stress, that got resolved immediately. Like, when we were savages, you dealt with the savage beast that was attacking you. You were hungry, you went out and killed a boar (or something). Therefore: Stressful situation gone. Stress gone from your body. Nowadays, we can't club things on the head that are attacking us. I can't hit the guy at the telephone company. For example. Heck, I can't even speak to top management there. So that stress doesn't get out of my body. It has to manifest itself some way. Some people get headaches. Others, their neck hurts. Right now with me it's PAs. Maybe I should get a punching bag?

Nicola Cook
23-02-07, 17:51
Really glad to hear about someone else whose arms and legs feel like they aren't there. I get this a lot at the moment and I find that it is one of the most uncomfortable and irritating symptoms of panic and anxiety.:confused:

I just feel like I am about to dissolve into the atmosphere or that I am a puppet whose strings have been cut - does this sound like the feelings you are having?

I sometimes find that shaking my arms vigorously helps a bit, but it doesn't always solve the problem. I think it's just our bodies telling us they've had enough stress.

If I discover any other ways of getting rid of this feeling I'll get back in touch!

Take care
Nic x

Gutsy
26-02-07, 08:46
Yeah, that does sound like what I have. Irritating, isn't it? Kind of like you've been to the dentist (I just have) and they've deadened your limbs instead of your mouth!