PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal Ultrasound Procedure - should I be worried?

Pigeon
04-12-15, 14:07
Hi all

My husband went for a scan today as he was concerned about the possibility of an aortic aneurism (he has a family history and is at a higher risk). The GP ordered a full abdominal scan rather than just screening for aneurism. He also did full blood tests and blood pressure monitor and all came back normal (apart from slightly high cholestrol)

He isn't a regular visitor to the GP and has never had to go for hospital tests but as a person with helath anxiety, I am. He was a little worried so rather than getting into a panic, I kept level-headed and tried to pass on some of my own experience to reassure him. One thing I said was that he shouldn't worry if, during the scan, they focused on one particular area of his body. I remember this happening with me and how worried I got.

When he came home, he told me that they had identified straight away that he didn't have an aneurism - which is great news - but I could see he was still a little worried. He told me that they had been very focused on the right of his abdomen below the ribs and at one point, the radiographer (I think?) had called someone else in to advise her.

Afterwards he tried to ask (in a roundabout way) if they had seen anything of concern but they wouldn't sayand just replied that it was his GPs job to deal with the results of the scan. He's making an appointment to see his GP next week.

I'm just wondering if this is normal procedure? Surely if they told him he doesn't have an aneurism, they could have said if everything else was normal? The fact that they didn't makes me think they have found something. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of the procedure that they could pass on to give me some reassurance?