PDA

View Full Version : Music: recommendations and reviews

mezzaninedoor
04-12-15, 17:45
Thought it would be nice to have a music thread that we can recommend to each other, Im sure there will be loads of variety amongst us in what we listen to ............ I've not been able to derive the happiness from music that I normally do recently so i thought maybe this might help.

My first recommendation is a recent release.
Frank Turner 'Positive Songs for Negative People' which is the latest album by this feisty folk troubadour, he wraps his music around some really fine themes and ideas. Its a grower album, a few of the tunes take a few listens but eventually it will hopefully be worth your time.

mezzaninedoor
14-12-15, 15:57
Lanterns on the Lake
Daughter
Love of Diagrams

uru
14-12-15, 16:16
bonobo.

Very relaxing

mezzaninedoor
15-12-15, 14:39
bonobo.

Very relaxing

will look them up, never heard of bonobo before, thanks

uru
15-12-15, 15:15
if you have spotify see what you think of this.

https://open.spotify.com/user/urusainaa/playlist/07rytKmGdXg7VfqhDLbEuY

mezzaninedoor
05-01-16, 17:20
Nice, different.

I have just ordered the new David Bowie off the back of the tracks that I have heard and the reviews. Out this weekend, titled 'blackstar'.

I have been relistening to Manic Street Preachers 'Futurology', absolutely absorbing, great anthemic tunes.

Fishmanpa
05-01-16, 17:39
Anything by Colin Hay :) Love his stuff and perform a few myself.

Positive thoughts

StarsDie
05-01-16, 18:07
Good recs with Daughter and Lanterns on the Lake. Hadn't heard them. But I dig the shoegazy sound a lot.

Maybe check out The Contortionist's 2014 album "Language", Cynic's 2014 album "Kindly Bent To Free Us" and Elderwind's album "The Magic of Nature".

All pretty chill music but has a metallic edge to it. So proceed with caution there if metal isn't your thing.

mezzaninedoor
05-01-16, 21:38
Metal's not normally my thing but I will have a listen in due course.

Another album I have played a lot lately is the latest New Order album 'Music Complete', artisan but superb.

Sam Winter
05-01-16, 21:55
i find
Simple minds,
Tears for fears,
ELO,
Bon jovi,
and other stuff like that usually makes me happy lol :)

mezzaninedoor
06-01-16, 07:45
ELO are definitely an uplifting band