PDA

View Full Version : Shifting focus

Jherron
05-12-15, 05:13
How is it that a person with anxiety can use it to their advantage sometimes. Example when turned to certain tasks I can solve complex problems. However now my knowledge has turned into worrying about my health. Using my observation skills on my self is not fun. I would think if I can shift my focus back into the world I think I can pull out of it. My grandfather has anxiety and he has sharp eye for defects. His way of dealing with it is to walk around outside looking for faults in buildings, cars, and other things. God knows I'm so tired of the ups and downs of deppression/anxiety. It seems like they trade places every few days. Going from being terrified of being sick and dying to I just don't care if I do die is a roller coaster ride. My attention comes and goes as well as my cognition. It is frustrating me because I use to be fast at making decisions. Now just clothes shopping is very stressful. This is why I now by the same plain style shirts in different colors. No logos as it seems like to much to choose from. It's like I'm limiting my decisions and I don't like feeling limited.

Oosh
06-12-15, 02:37
I think you're right. I've suffered from anxiety for a long time and I very much observe it's about managing what I focus on and how I focus on it.

I can see things in helpful, problem solving ways but if I'm not careful I can see things in negative, anxious ways. I can probably see things in helpful problem solving ways BECAUSE I am susceptible to see things in negative, anxious ways. I can probably see things in more positive ways BECAUSE im susceptible to seeing things in depressive ways. Theyre ways to manage and cope. I do it automatically now. I have lots of them to keep me in the right place from day to day.

It probably just stems from being more aware as a person. Manage what you are aware of, your focus.

You sound aware as does your relative. You can manage and use it to help yourself definitely.

"I would think if I can shift my focus back into the world I think I can pull out of it." :yesyes:

Make sure you have those external, stimulating things to focus on then keep your focus there instead. The anxieties in the world are still there, you're just no longer aware of them. For me, managing that focus is everything.

Jherron
06-12-15, 03:17
As long as I can remember I have been a negative thinker. I remember some of my school teachers pointing it out. My counselor told me I'm always engaged deeply in thought. Indeed she is right as I tune everything out at times. Just a few months back I was using my style of thinking on Astronomy. I learned all the constellations, most 2nd magnitude or brighter stars. I loved it even last winter in 10 degree weather I was out there in the cold with the scope. I don't know how but something switched and I'm about scared of everything. I will not even play video games because I had an adrenaline rush playing a combat game. It's weird because I use to love the adrenaline rush when I was younger. Now the crap just squirts on its own accord lol. Heck if I get in a store with people I just zone out and feel numb. I gotta find that balance somehow between being switched on and being switched off. All we can do though is take it a day at time. Sometimes I think this is my last day and I won't make it through it. Here I am 2 months later after thinking like that almost everyday. Still alive and kicking.

Oosh
06-12-15, 04:34
Yeh I used to get spaced out, numb, lose myself playing video games too, doing lots of things in fact. Remember what subjects, thoughts,images,memories make you feel confident, relaxed, humorous so you can find your way back.
When you know you can find your way back you worry about it less and it can become normal again.

I play video games all the time now and don't think twice about it. A lot of it's the fear you build up.