PDA

View Full Version : Bugs on real xmas trees?

phil06
05-12-15, 22:38
I read this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2526938/Whats-lurking-YOUR-Christmas-tree-Up-25-000-creepy-crawlies-hiding-tinsel-baubles.html

And http://ento.psu.edu/extension/christmas-trees/information/bugs-and-the-real-christmas-tree

I wasn't keen on getting a real tree but my girlfriend wanted one I'm worried it will have bugs? I got it from a supermarket? :blush:

uru
06-12-15, 00:10
Hahaha my anxiety prevents me from reading the news so I'm not going to click on those links.

Newspapers work on fear, try to find someone (a scientist) discussing this topic on Twitter or something. It'll turn out to be completely untrue, I'll bet.

phil06
06-12-15, 00:48
Does anybody here get real trees? I wasn't keen before on getting it but since googling it lists the exact bugs and there's horror stories of bugs over floors which is worrying :ohmy:

uru
06-12-15, 00:55
Did you google 'bugs on xmas trees'?

phil06
06-12-15, 01:05
Did you google 'bugs on xmas trees'?

Yep that gave me more information than I wanted. I'm sitting feeling all tickley like there is bugs over my living room :blush:

Phill2
06-12-15, 02:00
Give it a spray with Mortein and stop worrying :yesyes:

phil06
06-12-15, 12:03
So should I be worried about the bugs? Maybe they are on the tv and sofa now?

Dexter73
06-12-15, 12:14
The reports say that most will dry out and die in the tree. Those that live 'might' cause a problem for severe allergy sufferers.

Try to look at the worse case scenario, if you dont have allergies, whats they worst one of these bugs could do? they wont survive without the nutrients of a living tree. I have a potted living tree in my Dining Room right now :winks:

Chocolateface
06-12-15, 15:38
Hi

I have has real Xmas trees, climbed trees as a child walked through a forest and never suffered any incidents from bugs that I couldn't get through everyday life.

Newspapers will always sell sensational stories and hype things as that is how they make money, if you are worried though use tea tree oil or sprays which bugs don't like

Clare