PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpitations???

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 20:06
Hey everyone, I was doing so good for the past couple of weeks until Wednesday when I noticed a weird heart flutter feeling a couple times. I've since had it since then but I didn't notice it Friday oddly enough. But I had what I think was a bad panic attack last night. My heart was racing and and then I took my heart rate and it was like 140ish so I freaked out even more and I started feeling shakey and my hands tingly. I went to the ER and by the time I had gotten there I was better than I was but they did a blood test which came back fine and then a EKG which came back fine.. A little elevated but the doctor said more like an anxiety related elevation. My blood pressure was also a little elevated but nothing to worrisome they said. At the hospital I noticed my heart rate going from high 80s to 100.. Mostly 90. Still high for me as I'm usually in the low 70s. Well they sent me home with a Holter monitor which sucks because I feel so paranoid about it and I'm scared what the results will be. I have to wear it for 24hrs. Well I feel like a couple times today I could feel my heart beat which worried me. But it went away.. And I felt it after I ate some pop tarts. I also took my daily B vitamin complex vitamin. I did some research and I'm wondering if this vitamin b complex is causing these palpitations or racing heart?? It's been 18 days of taking it daily. I've never felt this before and obviously I'm very scared and now my anxiety is bad again and I'm trying to stay positive but this Holter monitor is like a reminder of my worries. I'm only 21! I'm so very worried about my heart. Another thing is that I started my 'time of the month' yesterday and also wondering if hormone fluctuations can cause this in conjunction with the b complex. I keep thinking the worst and that they are going to want to do open heart surgery or something. So scared and need some insights or at least kind words to help me. Please! :( I also feel like now I'm so hypersensitive to my heart beat that I don't know what is normal now. Everything worries me.

uru
06-12-15, 20:59
I had palpitations quite often after drinking. Did you drink?

Fishmanpa
06-12-15, 21:07
:whistles:
I had palpitations quite often after drinking. Did you drink?

That's what I was thinking. Even so. Palps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/palpitations)are a common symptom of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 21:17
Well I'm not a heavy drinker by any means.. Although Friday around 3 I had a beer and a half.. But I had experienced these palps Wednesday night outta nowhere and have just had them since. The thing about Friday is that I didn't even notice them.. I was helping clean out the basement.. Then I had that beer. :weep::weep: but since yesterday with I guess my panic attack I'm so worried and focusing on my heart more.. Especially with this darn Holter monitor on. I don't think I've ever felt palps before just outta nowhere though, I wish I would have mentioned that b complex vitamin because that's the only new thing I've been doing with my body.

uru
06-12-15, 21:55
At the start of 2015 I started getting them. I had them this morning. Not like you though. I have a heart monitor app and it showed that my heart rate was a healthy 60 but IT FELT like it was going too fast.

Whenever I have this anxiety always comes with it.

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 22:08
Yeah.. My anxiety and worries always run wild when I feel like my hearts acting up. I have one of those HR monitors on my phone as a app.. Pretty accurate too.. I'll compare manually to check. But yeah when I would feel that I guess flutter, I'd check my heart rate and it be in the 70s. Pretty normal for me. But ever since yesterday that panic attack I had I feel like my HR is higher that normal. I havent checked it today because I don't want to cause anymore anxiousness then I already have because this Holter is enough to of an anxiety inducer as it is. Trying not to work myself up. I'm just scared about the results so my mind will start racing and then my heart I feel like will beat more noticeablely. :unsure:

uru
06-12-15, 22:25
Have you tried deep breathing?

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 22:36
Yes I do try to deep breath and calm myself when I start feeling like I'm about to get worked up. It does help lower the heart rate / noticeable heart beating sensation. I wonder if I'm really getting to hypersensitive to my heart.. Is that something that can happen? With anxiety? I feel like I'm way too focused on it and I know I shouldn't be. So hard not too though :/

uru
06-12-15, 22:43
I know what you mean. I dunno how or why these palpitations started....just wish they'd stop.

Fishmanpa
06-12-15, 23:10
Just a suggestion...

The app on your phone seems to feed your anxiety. It may be wise to delete it.

It's funny. I actually have heart issues. I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and triple stents. At my last check up, my cardiologist told me to lose wight, exercise, stop taking Carvedilol and buy a blood pressure monitor. I was told, if my blood pressure was high, I should take one additional dose of my BP med (lisinopril). In the last two days, I've checked on a schedule, morning and evening, and so far all is well. I store it in our powder room and only take it out when I need to check.

Being that you don't have real heart issues, my advice stands, Delete the app.It's just feeding the dragon.

Positive thoughts

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 23:27
Yeah I've been thinking about deleting it but I use it when I do exercise so I can time my HR and how long it takes to return to normal. But yes I agree.. Having it doesn't help because I think monitoring it too much can make it higher. And I'm glad you seem to be doing well. You've been through a lot it seems and yet you're still standing and that's a blessing. I mean I haven't taken the Holter monitor back yet not till tomorrow and not sure how long it takes for you to get those results so I guess I don't know if I have a heart problem yet. I'm not sure how old you are Fishmanpa but I really hope at my age I don't have to deal with heart problems. My dad died of a heart attack but unfortunately I think his was brought on my cocaine abuse and high blood pressure. So I worry about myself but I don't so drugs and hardly drink. I'd like to loose more weight as well I'm around 150.. So I'd like to go back to the 130 I was about a year and a half ago. But all this heart stuff has me worried to exercise but when I do I don't feel like my chest hurts or too out of breath.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

I know what you mean. I dunno how or why these palpitations started....just wish they'd stop.

I feel you :( have you gone to get it looked at? I hate going to the doctors, when they took my blood my heart rate flew up. The nurse almost joked about it and said how she can see how worked up I can get myself. As anxious and nervous as I am, I hope this Holter test will show its nothing serious and maybe with that I can start to relax and maybe they will go away or at least not seem so prominent. :shrug::unsure:

jenni89
06-12-15, 23:34
My heart palpitations started out of nowhere in August. Scared the daylights out of me, so I went to the hospital. Haven't been the same since lol. Constantly worried over the sensations I get in my chest. I have good and bad days. I am still waiting on a referral to a cardiologist but hospital and drs visits have come to the conclusion that anxiety is my main issue. I had "extra beats" show up on an EKG about three weeks ago and dr said they were coming from an area of the heart of no concern. I know it's hard but try not worrying about them, taking your pulse, monitoring blood pressure etc. I notice that I have much better days when I just try and keep myself occupied on other stuff.

Fishmanpa
06-12-15, 23:38
I'm not sure how old you are Fishmanpa but I really hope at my age I don't have to deal with heart problems.

I'm in my late 50's. I had my first heart attack at 47. Lifestyle and heredity are the causes.

If you're under 40, it would be incredibly rare for you to have issues.

Positive thoughts

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 23:50
My heart palpitations started out of nowhere in August. Scared the daylights out of me, so I went to the hospital. Haven't been the same since lol. Constantly worried over the sensations I get in my chest. I have good and bad days. I am still waiting on a referral to a cardiologist but hospital and drs visits have come to the conclusion that anxiety is my main issue. I had "extra beats" show up on an EKG about three weeks ago and dr said they were coming from an area of the heart of no concern. I know it's hard but try not worrying about them, taking your pulse, monitoring blood pressure etc. I notice that I have much better days when I just try and keep myself occupied on other stuff.

jenni I actually have some questions for you now! Hope you don't mind but I feel the same.. Ever since Wednesday when I noticed that first odd flutter feeling I haven't been the same. Focusing way too much on how it beats.. All that. You said you had an EKG, was it one of the quick ones? Or a 24hr monitor like they have me on right now? I had one of the quick ones at the ER and they said it just seemed a little elevated but most likely due to anxiety. Would that have picked up extra beats? I'm not even sure I have the extra beats or if it's palpitations and noticing my heart beat.. I guess that why they have me on the Holter to see what happens in 24 hrs. Were you stressed prior to this happening? I feel like I was getting stressed about Christmas and money worries.. Then Wednesday night after my Chinese food I felt the first palp I guess. I really hope mine are nothing bad or serious:weep::weep: .

jenni89
06-12-15, 23:51
Hey everyone, I was doing so good for the past couple of weeks until Wednesday when I noticed a weird heart flutter feeling a couple times. I've since had it since then but I didn't notice it Friday oddly enough. But I had what I think was a bad panic attack last night. My heart was racing and and then I took my heart rate and it was like 140ish so I freaked out even more and I started feeling shakey and my hands tingly. I went to the ER and by the time I had gotten there I was better than I was but they did a blood test which came back fine and then a EKG which came back fine.. A little elevated but the doctor said more like an anxiety related elevation. My blood pressure was also a little elevated but nothing to worrisome they said. At the hospital I noticed my heart rate going from high 80s to 100.. Mostly 90. Still high for me as I'm usually in the low 70s. Well they sent me home with a Holter monitor which sucks because I feel so paranoid about it and I'm scared what the results will be. I have to wear it for 24hrs. Well I feel like a couple times today I could feel my heart beat which worried me. But it went away.. And I felt it after I ate some pop tarts. I also took my daily B vitamin complex vitamin. I did some research and I'm wondering if this vitamin b complex is causing these palpitations or racing heart?? It's been 18 days of taking it daily. I've never felt this before and obviously I'm very scared and now my anxiety is bad again and I'm trying to stay positive but this Holter monitor is like a reminder of my worries. I'm only 21! I'm so very worried about my heart. Another thing is that I started my 'time of the month' yesterday and also wondering if hormone fluctuations can cause this in conjunction with the b complex. I keep thinking the worst and that they are going to want to do open heart surgery or something. So scared and need some insights or at least kind words to help me. Please! :( I also feel like now I'm so hypersensitive to my heart beat that I don't know what is normal now. Everything worries me.

It's interesting that you mention B vitamins as a possibility of causing your palpitations. I was taking it consistently for awhile and then kinda stopped and I haven't noticed as many ectopics as I did while taking Vitamin b12. I've had the same thought. Hmmm. I can't really pinpoint what has been the cause of mine, I too am trying to keep track of my monthly cycles to see if there is a correlation with hormone fluctuations and palpitations. I am 26 years old by the way.

Savvy_Darling
06-12-15, 23:54
I'm in my late 50's. I had my first heart attack at 47. Lifestyle and heredity are the causes.

If you're under 40, it would be incredibly rare for you to have issues.

Positive thoughts

Oh okay I was just curious on your age. Hope I wasn't too intrusive in asking. Yeah I'm newly 21. Not sure why my heart would be acting up at all.. If heart problems are more prevalent in older adults over 40. :scared11: guess this Holter monitor will provide some insight.

jenni89
07-12-15, 00:00
jenni I actually have some questions for you now! Hope you don't mind but I feel the same.. Ever since Wednesday when I noticed that first odd flutter feeling I haven't been the same. Focusing way too much on how it beats.. All that. You said you had an EKG, was it one of the quick ones? Or a 24hr monitor like they have me on right now? I had one of the quick ones at the ER and they said it just seemed a little elevated but most likely due to anxiety. Would that have picked up extra beats? I'm not even sure I have the extra beats or if it's palpitations and noticing my heart beat.. I guess that why they have me on the Holter to see what happens in 24 hrs. Were you stressed prior to this happening? I feel like I was getting stressed about Christmas and money worries.. Then Wednesday night after my Chinese food I felt the first palp I guess. I really hope mine are nothing bad or serious:weep::weep: .

I've had several EKG's and only one EKG caught my extra beats. If you were having symptoms during an EKG, the EKG will pick it up as it did with me. If not, then your EKG will more than likely come out normal. I have not had a holter, I am waiting for a referral to a cardiologist :/ I have been quite stressed prior to these episodes, but at the same time I didn't feel THAT stressed when these episodes occurred, which is why it was very hard to accept the fact that stress and anxiety can cause such heart manifestations! I would also like to add that sometimes eating will set off my palpitations or increase heart rate. I really think you are in the clear :) They are scary things but usually nothing to worry about! Just gotta keep your focus elsewhere! I know it's hard but I really believe that truly does help me.

Savvy_Darling
07-12-15, 00:03
It's interesting that you mention B vitamins as a possibility of causing your palpitations. I was taking it consistently for awhile and then kinda stopped and I haven't noticed as many ectopics as I did while taking Vitamin b12. I've had the same thought. Hmmm. I can't really pinpoint what has been the cause of mine, I too am trying to keep track of my monthly cycles to see if there is a correlation with hormone fluctuations and palpitations. I am 26 years old by the way.

Oh yes! I've been taking the B complex for 2 weeks now, just started it.. Not sure if I was deficient or not .. Kinda just figured it could help with overall health. That's why when I looked online about that being a possible side effect I had seen other people mention a sensitivity to it and getting a racing heart. Maybe my body doesn't need anymore of it and it's trying to say I'm good on the stimulants. I had just started the beginning of my time of the month yesterday. So these palps started I guess 3 days before and I think that's when estrogen plunges and is at its lowest.. I've never gotten them before this though, usually migraines. I started taking the B complex after my last period so honestly I'm just wondering if with combination of low estrogen / hormone fluctuations and then taking this vitamin maybe it's causing the palps. Not sure but I think I'm gonna stop the vitamins and see what happens. :shrug: and were somewhat close in age.. I'm 21! I had read somewhere that menstrual cycles can trigger palps. When I said something about it to the ER Doctor she didn't seem to think that could cause it but it is mentioned on some health forums I've read. And other women complaining of it before and during the period. I'm not sure though, but that's strange you said you were taking the b12. Who knows.. Oh and about after eating I kind of feel like I get palps after too? Hmm. Kinda scared to eat now ! :(

jenni89
07-12-15, 00:15
Oh yes! I've been taking the B complex for 2 weeks now, just started it.. Not sure if I was deficient or not .. Kinda just figured it could help with overall health. That's why when I looked online about that being a possible side effect I had seen other people mention a sensitivity to it and getting a racing heart. Maybe my body doesn't need anymore of it and it's trying to say I'm good on the stimulants. I had just started the beginning of my time of the month yesterday. So these palps started I guess 3 days before and I think that's when estrogen plunges and is at its lowest.. I've never gotten them before this though, usually migraines. I started taking the B complex after my last period so honestly I'm just wondering if with combination of low estrogen / hormone fluctuations and then taking this vitamin maybe it's causing the palps. Not sure but I think I'm gonna stop the vitamins and see what happens. :shrug: and were somewhat close in age.. I'm 21! I had read somewhere that menstrual cycles can trigger palps. When I said something about it to the ER Doctor she didn't seem to think that could cause it but it is mentioned on some health forums I've read. And other women complaining of it before and during the period. I'm not sure though, but that's strange you said you were taking the b12. Who knows.. Oh and about after eating I kind of feel like I get palps after too? Hmm. Kinda scared to eat now ! :(

So many triggers and things on the internet has only confused me more. :weep: i think I can now become a Cardiologist with how much knowledge I have gained by researching the internet :roflmao: Don't worry too much, I wish I could take back all the worry that I have had the past 3 months! Worrying will make the whole situation worse as does being so focused on your heart rate/chest related sensations.

Savvy_Darling
07-12-15, 00:21
Seriously! I'm gonna try to relax, it helped talking on here for sure. But after your initial scare in August do you feel like you've gotten better? That its calmed down? I just need some hope that things will be okay. I think that's what anyone wants to hear, that things will turn out okay.

jenni89
07-12-15, 00:28
It got worse because that's all I thought about. It really got to a point where I was afraid to be alone for fear I was going to collapse and die and no one would be around to help. Nobody was giving me answers and I was taking days off of work and spending more time at home because I have had episodes on and off but keeping busy at work/school has really helped keep them in check. Also, a doctors reassurance and explanation has helped recently. So I am convinced that anxiety can do a number on you if you let it. I am currently being treated for anxiety so I am seeing better days. I am most certain that everything will turn out okay for you :) Once you get the holter results, I am sure you will feel a heck of a lot better!

Savvy_Darling
07-12-15, 00:56
Oh man I can relate to all that.. I have a habit of acting the same way when I start getting scared of my health or whatever. I'm glad your doing better and it gives me hope I'll be okay as well. Our stories seem very similar so you've helped me a lot! Thankyou :hugs: and yes I will feel better when the Holter tests come back and fingers crossed all will be well!

jenni89
07-12-15, 00:58
I am glad I could help!
Keep us all updated :)
Take care!