PDA

View Full Version : Feel sick. Huge setback today

GirlAfraid23
07-12-15, 20:37
Went back to work today after 2 weeks off...had a doctor's note stating I had a chest infection. I still don't feel that great but I felt I should go back.

When I handed over the note this morning, the headteacher (I work in a school) said she will need a meeting with me because it has triggered something on the system. I also had another two days off at the end of September due to a sickness bug.

I tried not to worry about it but on the way out before home time, I saw her again and mentioned the meeting and asked when it would be taking place. She said she will organise it in the next day or so. I said to her "is it anything to worry about?" She said "no, it's just protocol."
I made a joke and said something like "I don't want a red mark against my name or anything!" She said "not yet".

Now I thought she was joking at first but she wasn't laughing. Surely she wouldn't have said that if she was being serious? Wouldn't she be a bit more professional? I feel sick to my stomach :( my anxieties are at an all time high.

I hope it's not going to be a dismissal or something? :( :( or a telling off. I can't help being poorly :(

Can anyone offer any help or advice?

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Anybody :(

uru
07-12-15, 21:13
They won't fire you over it. I think that's illegal.

MissyMischief
07-12-15, 21:14
I understand your anxiety...of course you don't want to lose your job. But it really does sound like protocol to me. You probably have a set number of sick days and you're reaching the limit or something like that. Your boss wants to meet with you because she has to, it's in the job description.

As for the "not yet" comment, I think it's just kind of a warning...she has to warn you, it's her job, that you're reaching the cap off. I think most jobs have a limit how many days you can take off...otherwise what would keep us all from calling in sick all the time?

Well, that's my interpretation. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

GirlAfraid23
07-12-15, 21:20
The problem is I'm still in the probation period, so legally they can dismiss me without warning?

uru
07-12-15, 21:38
But why would they?

It'll just be a 5 minute chat to ask you if there is anything seriously wrong etc etc. Make sure there are no major problems.

GirlAfraid23
07-12-15, 21:40
But why would they?

It'll just be a 5 minute chat to ask you if there is anything seriously wrong etc etc. Make sure there are no major problems.

Because in the handbook it says "if an employee during the probation period, has a trigger point come up, they will be automatically dismissed, apart from in exceptional circumstances" :weep:

Fishmanpa
07-12-15, 22:00
Well... until you actually sit down and talk, it's all "What Ifs". Do your best to chill until then, otherwise you'll just drive yourself batty with worrying.

Positive thoughts

GirlAfraid23
07-12-15, 22:20
Easier said than done, I don't know how to relax.
I can't be unemployed, it'll mean we can't pay our bills/rent and I'm unlikely to find another job straight away.

Chocolateface
07-12-15, 22:58
Hi

I really feel for you as I am feeling similar thoughts, I don't know what to say to reassure you but it does sound like protocol she has to do this, as it is her job to ensure all staff are able to perform in their role.

Try not to stress and point out all of the good things you do there too.

Hope it goes ok

Clare

Pepperpot
08-12-15, 00:02
Hi,
I know it's easy for me to say, but you've got nothing to worry about. An informal meeting about your sickness will be to see what they can do to help you. X

MyNameIsTerry
08-12-15, 04:44
Trigger points come up quite quickly and for this reason it should be a manager's discretion as to whether they push for the formal process. Thats how my company worked (multinational) but the policy was written in such a way that new managers would often make the mistake that the process is strict, when it's not because things happen in life and replacing someone costs time & money so it's not always worth it if they don't continue to have time off.

No, you can't help getting sick but from an employers point of view, time off costs money and they would prefer people who are off less so they have sickness policies to allow them to address sickness absence quickly. Returning to work means a return to work interview, an informal thing and a form or two. Hitting a trigger point means an informal review of absence to determine if something can be done (remember that employees can be off due to issues at their workplace as well and there is a duty to correct things like this or face losing a tribunal later) as well as in their personal life.

I think you need to remind them that you were off with infections. In a school, if you played the martyr and came in you would be spreading it around and it wouldn't exactly impress any parents, in fact you would be seen quite negatively for it. You can use this to your advantage.

The trigger point systems came in to allow employers to pick up mostly on the peole who have a lot of single days off. Those people who pull a sickie for a hangover, an appointment, etc. They can't do it now because you can have 2-3 separate days off in a calendar month and you hit a trigger point giving your manager options to take action if they know you are taking the mick.

Your probationary contract complicates things and with you being public sector, policies tend to be stricter than private sector (remember how the councils paid women different salaries quite openly many years after the private sector had to stop it because of new laws?) but it could be that this policy is there to allow them a get out clause on someone they don't like.

I would suggest you need to ask your boss about that. If you are in a union, ask them instead.

Another consideration could be how other works have had the same levels of absence as you for infections.

If your anxiety plays any part in your absence, things will change as you will be affording cover for that in law.