PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about flying

char123
08-12-15, 18:15
Hi,
So this year we're doing something different and we're flying to America on Christmas day. I want to be excited but Im just too anxious about the 13 hour flight! I've never been on a long flight before- the longest I've been on is 4 hours and I hated it because I was on edge the whole time. I think I'm even more nervous this time because of the ISIS and terrorist attacks that have happened lately. It might sound stupid and I know that the chances of a plane crash is so small but it doesn't bring me any comfort. I've also heard that apparently they're bringing police officers on the planes before they take off to see if anybody panics- looks suspicious- which is a good thing obviously but I just know that it will trigger my anxiety so I'm scared they'll take me off the plane. Also, Im nervous about turbulence and feeling claustrophobic so if anyone has survived with anxiety on a plane, I'd really like to know your tips for calming down!

Thanks for reading
Ps I am a 17 year old female

Chocolateface
08-12-15, 18:25
Hi

I am a nervous flier too, after three hours I seriously need the plane to land, a friend of mine recently flew to America and to distract herself on the plane she had a colouring book, you can get some really god adult books and I always find colouring relaxing.

Hope this helps

Clare

Crystalhiggs
08-12-15, 18:52
I hate flying too, for me it's mostly about not being able to get out, but I also dislike the motion of the flight. The only thing I can suggest is just having things to distract you, and when not distracted just focus on being in the moment rather than the next 12 hours or so. So think ok, I've done an hour, I can do another hour, and then another and soon. If you're allowed to drink have a small wine, that really helps me but not too much as you can get easily drunk at those altitudes!
Or, you can get a homeopathic remedy called Arg nit which I have taken before and it has helped, think you need to start taking it a couple of weeks before the flight though.
Remember we can change our thoughts, so perhaps also start focussing on the positives like how much fun it will be when you're there, who you might meet etc.

Wishing you lots of luck and good wishes xxx

Randara
08-12-15, 23:36
Hiya, I used to love flying but since my anxiety started this year I now dread it! I've been on one holiday since suffering from anxiety, the outbound flight was just bearable and I got through it ok. The flight back was awful though, mainly because I was going back to a city that I no longer wanted to live in, a flat that wasn't very nice and a job I didn't like.

I've been on an 8ish hour flight in the past, the bigger planes usually have little tv's on the backs of the seats so you can distract yourself with a film or some tv series. Also, I expect you'll get free food too which is kind of exciting (well it is for me!) I took a crossword book on my last flight, and that helped distract me. Might also be a good idea to tell one of the steward's that you are nervous of flying, I bet they see a lot of people who are and can reassure you.

As Crystal says, take each hour as it comes, don't think too far ahead.

JamesM535
09-12-15, 11:58
Hey char123, I am too a super nervous flyer - I usually go to sleep as soon as possible or try to focus on watching a movie. The start can be bad but if you take earplugs it can be much easier due to reduced noise. 13 hours sounds long though, if you are going with family focus on enjoying the time with them on the plane.

And please, stop reading the news - there's nothing in reading about that stuff, it's created in a way to make you worried. The odds anything happens to you are so small they are not even worth mentioning