PDA

View Full Version : Stop Calling Them Panic Attacks, It Only Makes It Worse

vagabondster
08-12-15, 19:17
Hey guys. One thing that I always found helpful when I was struggling with panic attacks was to stop calling them panic attacks! I know it sounds silly but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. What you’re going through is the fight or flight response, that’s it. If you’re telling yourself that you’re under attack, then of course you’re going to get nervous, that’s what the fight or flight response is for, for dealing with attacks and threats.

Instead, I used to think of them as an adrenaline rushes. A burst of energy that’s triggered because your subconscious mind is perceiving danger, even though there is none. I know it can sound silly but that wording has a huge effect on how you perceive your experience. After taking out the negative inference that the word attack brings, i changed my view of what I was experiencing. I told myself that people pay lots of money for this kind of rush. They jump of building, play extreme sports, chase tornados, whatever. The point is that once I took away a lot of the scariness of it, I actually learned to love that rush of juice and from that point on recovery came pretty quickly.

I hope that you guys found this useful. If you did, I keep a youtube channel where I share my advice and experience overcoming panic attacks. There are two main things that I focus on with my channel: specific, actionable advice that you can use in your day to day and creating hope that overcoming chronic panic attacks can be done. You’re welcome to check it out, there’s a link in my full bio or you can just google the words "youtube & vagabondster". It’s the first result. Feel free to leave me any questions in the comments, I usually respond pretty quickly. Best of luck!

nomorepanic
09-12-15, 20:14
Great videos Carlos

HaroldMorse
10-12-15, 13:31
Think about your symptoms can sometimes trigger your anxiety and panic attacks.. Its a very helpful advice, can help a lot of individuals suffering form anxiety disorders.