PDA

View Full Version : Laura off the C4 Documentary

russ
20-02-07, 07:45
I found the C4 show on health anxiety useful viewing, but quite hard to watch!

I really found I identified with Laura. She lost her father to cancer, like I did, and what she had been through mirrored what I am going through.

I've tried to explain it to many on here, the documentary showed me I'm not the only one going through it. I tend to think my problems are based on unresolved grief. I wacthed my father get ill, watched him become weaker and weaker, watched him die. Many people come face to face with death, many people lose relatives in all kinds of awful circumstances. However, I tend to think some people react with anxiety because of a range of factors, their upbringing, personality, social networks, ability to cope, reaction to grief etc.

Death shakes our world. The anxiety it causes can put you in a position where the anxiety about illness and death is as distressing as illness itself, where quality of life becomes nothing because of it. In many ways the anxiety of death and illness makes us already dead, because we have no life.

Like Laura, I need sureness. I need to know I'm not going to be seriously ill in the next few years. I need the one thing being alive is counter to, a definite outcome. I know this isn't possible, but what is the alternative? I need to know what is beyond life, again, this is impossible. I'm chasing the impossible dream.

Equally, I'm not yet ready to let go of my grief. I cannot forget the memories, the negative memories, of my father being ill. I'm trapped.

Anyway, thanks to all on the documentary, I hope all the people who took part are doing better.

Russ.

Sazziesaz
20-02-07, 08:13
Hi russ thanks for that, laura is having problems logging onto the forum at the moment, but I will ring her and read what you have written. Please don't feel trapped, it has helped laura by talking about her grief!! I hope you can get help too!!

Sarah x

wobily_lin
20-02-07, 09:23
{{russ}}
{{laura}}