PDA

View Full Version : Is something really wrong with me?

mattriv
08-12-15, 23:52
First of all, I got a doctor's appointment, but that wasn't so reassuring because 1. I'm bad at explaining symptoms to doctors/ answering symptoms questions
2. She only checked my heart and lungs with a stethoscope. No big tests/ examinations
3. I think she was the psychologist, not the heart doctor at the pediatric center

So, I'm 14 years old and I'm not overweight, actually a little skinny. I don't exercise (I know i should), and I'm having some scary symptoms.

I have been having the constant feeling that my breath is cut short when I breath in deeply. Also, I get some weird aches in my left arm and the same feeling but lighter and less painful in my chest, sometimes both sides but more often on the left (I believe).

I also had some severe heartburn from anxiety about a week ago, but I don't feel it anymore. My lower throat feels scratchy and my windpipe feels full/thick idk how to explain.

I had a panic attack about a month ago, but not ever since.

All my symptoms are anxiety symptoms, but I don't feel nervous or anxious. Like, no racing heart or sweaty hands. I know I'm scared of my symptoms though. Could it be something benign or something I don't have to worry about?

Greatest respect to anyone who reads and responds :)

Fishmanpa
09-12-15, 00:05
I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious. As a parent of a daughter who suffers from anxiety and depression, it always concerns me when I see someone as young as you reaching out for help on an internet forum.

Have you spoken to your parents about your fears? Perhaps they can help you in getting a therapist to speak with you.

Positive thoughts

mattriv
09-12-15, 00:13
Thank's for your response :)

Yes, I have spoken with my parents about this. They say I'm fine, but I feel like they don't fully understand my symptoms (of course, nobody can fully understand someone else's feelings). It is a little reassuring when they say I'm fine, but I still fear that I have a heart/lung/whatever dangerous condition. I feel like I can't be fully calm until I get an electro and MRI scan and all that formal testing done, but I don't want to bother them about it because I think they and the doctor find my worries a bit ridiculous.

I hope it is anxiety, that would be the best case scenario. But I never feel sure.

Edit: I do have an appointment with a psychologist/therapist later this month, and my parents are asking if I think I need it. If my problem is anxiety, I think I need it, but there's the chance that it's a physical problem... sigh.

mattriv
09-12-15, 00:17
Thanks!

I always find things like this calming. I just have a hard time believing symptoms this real and persistent can be anxiety.

Is that another symptom of anxiety? :D

JamesM535
09-12-15, 19:01
Hey mattriv just wanted to step in and say similarly to SamuelW52 that I experienced most of the symptoms you described... and in the end it was all just anxiety and my imagination. You are still young and healthy - don't think too much and please don't read too much Internet forums looking for symptoms as this may make stuff worse - good that you looked for help though - but once the doctor's results show that you are 100% healthy don't look anymore into it and just enjoy the fact that you are ok! And please, start exercising - as someone who neglected physical activity for a long time I can tell you that I've found tremendous success with meditation and physical routine to lessen my anxiety! :)

mill6tee7
10-12-15, 08:09
Hi, don't worry its all anxiety you can still have symptoms with out the panic

Movielife
10-12-15, 09:52
From someone who has experienced much the same throughout my life (I'm 24). It's all anxiety. The key is to letting yourself fully believe that it's anxiety, not some hidden illness. Anxiety is the glue that holds it all together. Once you stop finding the symptoms so upsetting, and let the anxiety lessen, you'll be amazed at how the symptoms reduce.

Great post.