PDA

View Full Version : I've done it at last

Humly
09-12-15, 15:36
Hi.

I have just self referred for cbt. I have been messing around for literally years and have finally taken the plunge. I dont want to take medication so I must at least try this.

I am having a telephone assessment tomorrow to see if I am suitable so I expect to be asked quite a lot of questions so I am going to jot down a few things so I dont go blank in the call.

I'm scared but also quite proud of myself for having done it. I need to change my attitude and need help to do it. Fingers crossed they think I'm a suitable candidate :)

sandie
09-12-15, 15:50
Good for you - well done ! Keep up with the positive attitude !

uru
09-12-15, 16:05
Well done!

Humly
09-12-15, 23:17
Thank you.

Carnation
10-12-15, 01:03
Humly, Well Done. :yesyes: I found it really effective.

pulisa
10-12-15, 09:03
Well done Humly! I've just had a telephone assessment and for me it was quite basic with set questions and a set time limit. It's not taxing and nothing to worry about.

Humly
10-12-15, 17:16
Thanks. I've just had the assessment and I'm being put forward for telephone guided sessions to start with and we will take it from there. One to one counselling is not offered until you go through this first stage. I'm happy with this for now and will see where it takes me. There is a waiting list of about 6 weeks but that's OK. At least I am in the system now.

MissyMischief
10-12-15, 20:32
Yay!! Good job! :yesyes::yesyes: I was hesitant to do counseling for years. I think I was embarrassed and just afraid to open up. But, I must say, it is wonderful. And the counselor you get makes a world of difference, so if for some reason the first person you talk to isn't working, definitely try someone else.

Good luck!!:D

Humly
10-12-15, 22:09
Thanks. I've been reluctant to do it for so many years but I'm glad I've taken this step. I need help and I realise there is no shame in my problems and I have to at least try this. Onwards and upwards I say x

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-15, 07:14
That sounds like the NICE Level 2 which includes things like Guided Self Help, which is what I had in 5 20 minute telephone sessions. They told me I needed CBT but had to go through this level first but I have seen others on here who go straight into Level 3 for CBT which suggests some governance issues inside IAPT to me.

The way I looked at it was some help is better than none so I went with it. It's good to see you are willing to keep pushing and work on things and I think you are doing the right thing taking what you can get.

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 ----------

Well done Humly! I've just had a telephone assessment and for me it was quite basic with set questions and a set time limit. It's not taxing and nothing to worry about.

There's nothing in one of those assessments you couldn't handle a million times over & more, pulisa.

Good luck with whatever they are offering. :hugs:

pulisa
11-12-15, 09:06
Well I've been offered 1 to 1 CBT but there is a waiting list (6-8 weeks apparently) I'll take that with a large pinch of salt:D I think the poor girl was very much out of her depth with me:D

Considering my scores on the PHQ9 and GAD7 the IAPT is a bit lightweight but I'm not sure how accurate/effective telephone scores can be anyway? I did get offered an "eating distress" group as well but I can't think of anything worse personally.

I really hate these forms-such a cop-out but I suppose they are cheap, easy and quick to assess (providing you can add up) One psychiatrist my daughter saw spent half the session totting up her scores:mad:

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-15, 10:09
Wow maths not a strong point for that psychiatrist then. I'm a bit worried if they can't do simple addition with single figure sums :winks:

My therapist took a load of notes. The scores were a mechanism to track graphically but the notes were very important too and she said they were used in talking to her supervisor.

To be honest, my scores barely moved throughout. I found them a bit inflexible because I feel anxious every single day but some days are much worse as you will well know and the majority of days it will ease throughout. I found these forms don't allow for that so basically you look severe all the time.

Thats a good waiting time. Mine was 3 months and they said that was pretty standard.

"Eating distress" course, lets hope they don't schedule that in the room next to the IBS group then, eh? It could confuse some people :D

pulisa
11-12-15, 13:05
Yes, a bit hard to digest, that one!:D

My anxiety remains at the same peak all day at my worst. I'd love to be able to shift it with exercise or with distraction but I can't do it. It's a question of reasoning it out and fighting through the day. The exhaustion hit me 2 weeks ago which prompted me to ask for help. Agitation fighting exhaustion is something which terrifies me but I've done the right thing in seeking therapy I think.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-15, 06:00
Yes, I know that one all too well. I still have plenty of bad days but a few years back it was like that, all day everyday. It went on for ages like that. It's hard just keeping going when it's riding you all day long and waking up to it the next day can be crushing.

Time for some tired old cliches off the self help sites :winks: "it can't harm you", "it's only anxiety", blah blah. True, but when you have 24/7 GAD it can make every moment very difficult and just the basics people take for granted are something you have to fight through. I sometimes think people who say things like that have forgotten how hard it is.

It's the right move to try, if something helps it's worth it.