PDA

View Full Version : Feel incredibly lucky - physical anxiety appears to be calming!

Movielife
10-12-15, 12:13
Afternoon all

Just a post to say following what I can only assume to be extreme/acute anxiety in late August 2015, from a build-up lasting perhaps a year or more when I started have panic attacks during the night, I am finally feeling a little more normal.

The journey:
GP in August 2015 as extremely extremely anxious and feel ill – been having physical signs of anxiety which I’ve never experienced before.

Signed off work with high dosage of beta blockers, then quit my job, waited for outcome of new job application, worked part time in a more fun job, then I was offered the new job and had to leave the fun part time job. Didn’t start until later down the line so could still have some time in the fun job.

Visited ENT for dizziness (basically comes and goes), get more anxious, down and ill as they suggest MRI as routine but no concerns. They think it is pain free migraines.

Go to Florida for family holiday, love the holiday but tearful on some days and very anxious, physical signs of anxiety are present. Family worry about me but my partner gets me through it.

Come home, have MRI, need to stop beta blockers as the side effects are not great, start temporary low dosage diazepam, start new job.

I become super upset and my anxiety is really bad. Very worried about MRI results. My physical symptoms aren’t as terrible as diazepam is helping.

I hold on to my new job. MRI results are fine. GP thinks I will be fine. We initially agree to stop meds, but he was concerned I have underlying anxiety and kept mentioning tearful moments. Told to keep in touch.

I have a wonderful week of feeling ok. Not perfect but my head is clearer. I then suddenly start major health anxiety, and general anxiety really kicks in as no meds. I’m coming off diazepam and I feel weird all the time.

The weeks progress. I have an awful weekend 2 weeks back of being generally upset, dreading my time at work, thinking my partner was going to leave because I’m so anxious (acute paranoia) and I then start feeling like I’m having a meltdown. No meds.

Call the GP – referral for anxiety for CBT – great news. I need it. They want me on citalopram. I get the prescription, but I don’t take it, (and still haven’t).

Call the GP again, a week later, saying I don’t want to depend on meds. I have a weekend with the family. A few drinks and I calm RIGHT down. I then have more paranoia and anxiety/panic. Barely getting decent sleep so this builds. GP suggests I take meds.

Suddenly, this Tuesday AM, I feel better. Unexplained. Not perfect, but work is fine, I slept and relaxed fine.

Weds, even better. ZERO physical anxiety and my mind is calm. This hasn’t happened naturally in months. I have stopped my stressful car journey to work and use the public transport now, so I am always missing the traffic. My partner is keen on relaxation after work. Getting small things done but not over doing it. Basically, making sure I have a few hours to switch off before sleep.

Today – no problems. Get a lift to public transport and the traffic makes me annoyed, and I panic a little…not much. I feel it come on, so I basically tell myself to calm down. I wasn’t even slightly late. But, I could feel anxiety trying to creep up. It calms down after 20 mins.

I’ve gone from serious anxiety/down moods to almost normal in a few weeks. I don’t know if it is because I am more relaxed, taking no meds, the meds are finally out of my system, all of this or none of this. I have not felt like this since around June 2015.The odd day was ok but physically I feel alive again. This in turn is making my mood much better, joking around, more positive, being thankful for feeling better and having a decent job/house and family. I am excited about my holiday next year and feeling, hopefully, normal over Xmas.

It may turn around again, but CBT is being booked.

This feels weird! I am not used to having zero physical anxiety. Occasionally I think ‘oh I have a floater in my eye….why?!’ but I calm down quickly.

Should I keep off the meds unless it gets really bad again?

I hope others start to feel better soon. It is so relieving!!!

jimsmrs
10-12-15, 12:35
Just keep what you're doing it seems to be working!!!!

can understand the driving anxiety, going through something similar myself.

HaroldMorse
10-12-15, 13:47
That's great you have zero physical anxiety, you are doing right things.. Just keep going and take proper medicines and do exercise as well...