PDA

View Full Version : Spreading some love to people in need

lior
10-12-15, 23:07
I'm Jewish - not religious, not a believer, but I do like thinking about where the concepts came from and why they survived. Standard prayers stand the test of time for a reason. It's currently Chanuka (the festival of lights) and one of the prayers today got me.

One of the Chanuka blessings is: 'Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.'

From http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/103874/jewish/Blessings.htm

(Leaving the God bit out of the discussion.) When the threat of not existing any more seems tangible, it's easier to be consciously grateful for being alive, having survived this long, and reaching this moment, against the odds.

Others in the world are under threat today. I'm currently privileged to not be under direct threat.

Today I am grateful to be alive. I'm going to turn this positive energy into something to help others whose existence is being threatened.

If you feel even a tiny bit suicidal tonight (10 December 2015), please PM me and I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours. I have been on and off suicidal a lot of my adult life, so I know what it's like. I want to help others get through a tough patch in life - to get to the other side, to be grateful to be alive again.

uru
11-12-15, 12:47
Thanks for this :)

benjanxious
14-01-16, 12:18
Thank you and thanks for making me grateful for the little things in life, like being alive.