PDA

View Full Version : Please help?? Really fast heart rate with skipped beats

Anxiousgirl23
11-12-15, 14:01
Hi all I'm new here and looking for some reassurance.
I have suffered panic attacks quite severely for over a year now
I'm so scared to do anything which elevates my heart rate, even doing simple
Housework makes my heart rate fast!!
I have had a 5 day holter monitor, echocardiogram, bloods and ecgs all came back normal.
Last night I had a really scary episode where my heart started racing super fast and my heart kept skipping beats, is this palpitations?whats the difference between palpitations and panic attacks?
I'm so scared whenever I've typed this in on Google artrial f keeps coming up.
Suppose I'm just looking for somebody to agree with me and say this is palpitations And they have had this before.
Sorry for long post in such a mess and just want to feel normal x

ana
11-12-15, 15:52
Hello and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find this forum a welcoming, reassuring place. :)

In my opinion, I think you have developed a fear of accelerated heart-rate because you associate it with panic attacks. Very often, panic attacks will manifest through one persistent symptom, such as depersonalisation, shortness of breath, shakiness (or a combination of more than one, of course), and in your case, it's the accelerated heart-rate. Your attention is constantly on your heart and its beating which is why you are noticing all these irregularities (palpitations are quite common and nothing to worry about), and this in turn makes you anxious and panicky.

If all of the heart exams came back normal, then you're fine. :) You are just over-sensitised to your heart-rate

Anxiousgirl23
11-12-15, 16:08
Hi an thanks so much for reply really appreciate that.
I'm always looking for reassurance even though like I've said I've had heart test and they've came back ok.
But I didn't have a full blown panic attack whilst I was wearing the monitor so I question there findings and think we'll they have missed something, I bet that is common amongst us healthy anxiety worries though?
You are right k am
Constantly aware of what my heart is doing and now I'm scared to do anything and it really is ruining my life. I look at other people and think I wish I could be norm like them lol sounds so stupid but I hate all of this worrying.
My heart rate has been above 160bpm before during a panic attack and I've googled heart rates during panic attack and read somewhere that panic attack heart rTes should be around 130bpm and not much more above.
Geez I hate Google sometimes
Thanks for your kind words x

ana
11-12-15, 19:52
No problem, and I know it's hard to resist worrying and overthinking, but you don't need to have a full blown panic attack in order to feel anxious or have anxiety symptoms. I'm sure the doctors didn't miss anything, and that you are completely fine. :)

Also, please try and not take your pulse as that will only reinforce the behaviour that fuels the panic. Remember that it's our thoughts that keep the anxiety alive - it feeds off of our nervous energy. You're perfectly capable of doing 'normal' things, it's just that you don't trust yourself enough to try. It's what I'm guilty of, too! I look at everyone around me and think 'oh I wish I could do that!' and when I mentioned this to my therapist she said 'yes, and why can't you do what they do?' to which I had absolutely no answer because she was right! :shrug:

I hope you feel better, and manage to (gradually and slowly, don't force yourself) break your habit of constantly monitoring and checking in on your heart. x

Anxiousgirl23
12-12-15, 19:38
Thanks Ana, i really do need to stop checking my pulse though, sometimes i dont even realise that im doing it.
People must think im such a wierdo if they have seen me holding me neck to check my pulse.
Have you felt these sensations then before, the very fast heart rate with skipped beats?
You read so much different information online you dont know what to believe.
x

ana
12-12-15, 20:37
Haha, well, we all do things to reassure ourselves and calm down, but the truth of the matter is that the less attention you pay to your symptoms, the more likely they are to go away.
I've had the very fast heart rate sensation, yes. My heart used to skip beats, too, and after having an ECG done (that came back fine), it stopped doing it. The power of the (reassured) mind eh :)

Oh and please try and stay away from Google. That thing is evil as it makes you believe you suffer from every condition known to mankind! :P

Anxiousgirl23
12-12-15, 21:42
Lol Dr Google is actually evil you type one thing in and you think you have a serious condition even though you have been told by health professionals it's nothing to worry about.
Thank you for replying to my post
Take care x

ana
13-12-15, 08:54
Dr Google is the best for making you feel paranoid, hehe.

No problem. I hope you feel better and more at ease :)
xx

ankietyjoe
14-12-15, 18:25
My heart rate used to hit 180bpm at it's peak if I had a really bad panic attack, and often reaches 140-150bpm even now I can manage them.

As hard as it is to accept, just let it happen and ride it out. It'll always slow down again :)

All google searches will lead you to suspect your inevitable and imminent demise :D

Anxiousgirl23
14-12-15, 20:22
It's probably not the best idea for us to time the beats when we are having a panic attack but I just can't help it.
I'm so overly obsessed with anything to do with my heart and it's really making my life hell.
It's just the skipped beats whilst I was having a panic attack which has really frightened me.
I have read somewhere there panic attacks should have a steady regular heart beat
Where as mine was beating so fast and kept skipping beats
So in wondering how palpitations feel as I know they can be skipped beats but I wasn't sure if you can have the skipped beats as well as fast heart rate all T the same time

Sorry for rambling on lol x

ankietyjoe
14-12-15, 21:16
My heart rate is all over the place when I have panic attacks, or rather it used to be. It could be anything from 100-180 and it would go up and down in waves as I had waves of panic.

As I got used to them and found a method of dealing with them it's more like a peak then a gradual decrease, but even then it can go up and down for an hour or so if it was a bad one (this usually happens if I wake up with an attack as I'm not 'ready' for it).

Anxiousgirl23
14-12-15, 21:57
They are such awful things I wouldn't wish panic attacks on anybody they are the devil.
My heart rate use to be so fast but regular but the other night when my heart was going so fast and was skipping beats all over the place I thought omg that's it now.
I've not stopped dwelling on what's happened and trying to find somebody else who has had a panic attack with the ectopic skipped beats
Urgh horrible. Thanks for your reply x

Anxiousgirl23
16-12-15, 00:07

Anxiousgirl23
16-12-15, 16:16
Is there anybody else out there that can relate? X

TheChiroDoc12
18-12-15, 21:40
I still associate my heart whenever I sense a panic attack coming on. I used to check it CONSTANTLY. My dad had heart surgery 5 years ago and my mother has atrial fibrillation...so you see, I have paranoia! However, my heart is very healthy. In fact, Premature Ventricular Contraction are not serious, and many healthy people have them. Before my anxiety started up, I used to be a workout horse. Top shape, big muscles, abs, ya know, the whole package. I had PVCs alot because of my intense exercise....its simply your heart taking a break, its not a sign of anything bad. Once I noticed it, I thought I had heart disease, a bad SA node, etc.... Since the anxiety took over for the past two years, I haven't been as active and it started effect me. I'm 22, and I can tell you that I've had my share of heart worry. But, the gist is that its not dangerous. I've had anxiety so bad that I actually triggered a heart arrhythmia! It simply came for a few hours and went away. Haven't had it since because I broke the heart worry, for the most part! Physical symptoms can be a result of anxiety, but you have to understand and apply the fact that anxiety is the root cause and that your symptoms do not relate to physiological malfunctions, but rather psychological, which isn't regarded as "serious." Be healthy in your brain and your body. Trust me, anxiety is your enemy here.

You'll be fine! :D

Anxiousgirl23
18-12-15, 22:59
Thanks so much for your reply.
I myself use to do some hardcore exercise, but now k am too scared to even walk up large flights of stairs it's absolutely ridiculous and ruining my life.
I'm so scared to do anything.
Tonight I had a small glass of alcohol, I could feel panic coming on, and my heart started skipping beats.
It's scared me so much again.
the moment everything I do I think about my heart
I'm constantly checking my pulse
I just can't see me stopping worrying about my heart
I'm too scared to even go to the doctors because my heart rate sky rockets
Argh I hate health anxiety

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Just to add I have had previous tests from the cardiologist and he said everything is fine. But now I have a massive fear or going into the doctors because last tim eu went in there over a year ago she sent me straight to a and e because my heart rate was crazy. All was fine in the end. But I just want to be what I use to be like. I've got two amazing kids and a fiancée my life seems perfect to other people but I am hurting so much mentally help

TheChiroDoc12
18-12-15, 23:12
The physical symptoms accompanied by anxiety never makes it better because it makes you wonder why you're having physical effects. But, again, you must know that your anxiety is what is triggering it. The fact that your panic attacks occur and then your heart starts to do it is confirmation of your condition. About an hour into my one time arrhythmia, I eventually just decided to stop worrying about it. I paid no attention to it and relaxed. It still did for some time, but it started getting better as I quit worrying. Eventually, it went away, and has never returned. Trust me, PVCs are scary, I've had sooooo many in my life already. But I'm telling you, this is all caused by your mentality. My panic attacks occur whenever I am driving or if I am far away from home. If I am by myself driving(especially at night) I have them. My heart starts racing and going extremely fast. But, once I calm down, accept my experience, it goes away. I want you to read this bold part carefully: Whenever I am about to go into a panic attack driving, I ask myself this question, "Out of all of my panic attacks, when has the fear ever been the desired result? For example, when I am driving and I fear that I could pass out, my heart stop working, die, etc. I ask myself, "when has that ever occurred?" The answer is never. Anxiety wont kill you. It'll make you feel like you are dying, and even produce irritating symptoms, but it will not kill you. Try using that philosophy! It is really helping me. It should help you too because it is the truth!!!

Lasersit
19-12-15, 07:08
They are such awful things I wouldn't wish panic attacks on anybody they are the devil.
My heart rate use to be so fast but regular but the other night when my heart was going so fast and was skipping beats all over the place I thought omg that's it now.
I've not stopped dwelling on what's happened and trying to find somebody else who has had a panic attack with the ectopic skipped beats
Urgh horrible. Thanks for your reply x

Try 250-300 Mg's of Magnesium for skipped beats. It works wonders.

Anxiousgirl23
19-12-15, 10:56
Oh does it I've never heard of thT before. Will give anything a try
Thank you

TheChiroDoc12
19-12-15, 21:20
Don't be discouraged if the magnesium doesn't help the PVCs...in general, magnesium is a required heart mineral and it does relax you. But, the PVCs are occurring in your case because your heart rate is increasing rapidly due to anxiety...just don't want you worried. cya later.

Anxiousgirl23
23-12-15, 09:19
Thanks again x

Anxiousgirl23
12-01-16, 16:11
Bumping this post up to see if anybody else has this x

S14
14-01-16, 14:03
Hi all I'm new here and looking for some reassurance.
I have suffered panic attacks quite severely for over a year now
I'm so scared to do anything which elevates my heart rate, even doing simple
Housework makes my heart rate fast!!
I have had a 5 day holter monitor, echocardiogram, bloods and ecgs all came back normal.
Last night I had a really scary episode where my heart started racing super fast and my heart kept skipping beats, is this palpitations?whats the difference between palpitations and panic attacks?
I'm so scared whenever I've typed this in on Google artrial f keeps coming up.
Suppose I'm just looking for somebody to agree with me and say this is palpitations And they have had this before.
Sorry for long post in such a mess and just want to feel normal x

I didn't plan on signing up to these forums but I'm in the exact same boat as you!

I was exercising one day when my heart started pumping unusually fast, then I started to panic which probably made it worse. Since then it's been on my mind, just like you - I am terrified of making my heart pump. I've been to the hospital twice and the local GP.

First trip to the hospital was about a week after it happened, because that night I had my first proper panic attack, the stomach feeling squeezed, a pins and needles feeling in my arms, tongue, back of my head, my thumbs both clamped to my hand. It was horrible. Thought I was dying. Second trip to the hospital was because I was vomiting, think I had a bit of gastro due to the anxiety weakening my immune system.

But I've been checked out by 3 doctors, they listened to my heart, breathing, felt my stomach, ECG, urine test, all is perfectly fine, but I'm still scarred and living life in constant fear, worried about being cardiac for a whole month. I'm tired, all my muscles are hurting, it's terrible! I even keep telling myself that if there were something really wrong, I wouldn't be here right now. But still...

I've had anxiety all my life, I was born with it, but never in my 22 years on this Earth have I had anything like this happen. What scares me most is that I have no idea how much longer I have to go through this hell.

My mum has helped by changing my diet, I stopped eating junk foods and sugary treats. Mostly everything now is natural, started taking magnesium vitamins. Started having foods and drinks with the vitamins which are suppsed to help or cure anxiety according to the internet. We'll find out in a few days of it worked. I find that the blueberries thing kind of helps of you eat a whole packet, but now I have a stomach ache. Probably not the best approach.

I guess we just have to do what the Nike slogan says and "just do it", that's what my childhood shrink used to say, but it's easier said than done... What do shrinks know anyway, waste of time.

But yeah... You're not alone in this. :( I used to get my heart beating reguarly, but now I'm scared to even walk at a normal pace.

faithfulone
18-01-16, 02:47
Hi Anxiousgirl23, like S14 your post prompted me to sign on to this forum, and also that I've experienced some of the same symptoms you've described. I started with what I would now call mild panic attacks about 14 years ago.......heart racing, tingling in hands, weakness, dizziness. I did take anti-anxiety medication for a couple of months and then did well for quite awhile. About 5 years later while working a highly stressful job and taking care of a sick child I started having many pvc's and heart palpitations. This came on all of a sudden while I was at work. There were so many pvc's I was short of breath and just knew it was a heart attack I was having. I went immediately in to see a local family doctor that ordered an EKG and haltor monitor which confirmed pvc's and tachycardia, but he didn't seem concerned about a MI. I made an appt. with a cardiologist and did a stress test which I passed. He too told me that the pvc's were benign and many people walk around daily with pvc's and don't even know they have them. Of course, not my case......I can feel each one. He put me back on an anti-anxiety medication and anti-depressant which helped. Again, I took the meds for a short time and weaned myself off after I felt much better. I notice the arrythmias more when I'm anxious or tired, but they do not come on regularly now as at that time.

I did really great for several years until now my mom recently passed away and panic has set back in. This time I was googling panic attacks and hypoglycemia since I was sick for the past 2 months and lost a lot of weight I felt like my blood sugar was dropping. That's how I came to this forum. Guess I can only keep the panic away for a short time, but notice it seems to return each time with new symptoms....ugh!

Just wanted you to know though you're not the only one obsessed with your heart rate / rhythm. Sorry, but had to giggle a little about your comment of others thinking your crazy (always checking your pulse). I've mastered that pose......guess they think it's my thinking pose (my fingers on my carotid). :D

n3r0x1k
26-01-16, 10:22

Okay, here we go!

If I can say one thing, it's that skipped beats / fluttering / ectopic runs, all those PVC and PAC type arrythmias, are what have caused me to be OBSESSED with my heart for the past 20 years (I'm 33). I often have sinus tachycardia (racing heart beat) and sometimes the skipped beats happen while my heart is racing. Sometimes those skipped beats happen even without panic, but they tend to be harder & more frequent when I'm in a high anxiety situation or phase, or panicking.

I've had a huge panic attack this very weekend (which is why I'm here on this forum right now). What I have a hard time dealing with, if you can somehow relate, is the residual phase after a huge panic attack. The phase where it can last from a couple hours to a day to even a week or more, depending on how you cope with it, if you avoid exposure, etc, and how much you rethink and worry about your last episode. It can be crippling at times. I've been unable to work for the past ~16 months because these panic attacks are too frequent, if that can help you relate to the "disabling" part of it. I become overly obsessed with "my heart will simply stop beating" or "go into fibrillation" or all other frightening scenarios. Yet, here I am, still alive.

Of course, I haven't lived this on a daily routine for the past 20 years, otherwise I would've never gone to work, done things, but I have these phases that can last months, and 2 phases where it's last a year or a bit more, like now.

Also, one thing my cardiologist told me, and that's especially true if your heart structure is normal which can be seen on an echo (which you passed), etc, is that PVC's / PAC's can be very uncomfortable, but they are NOT dangerous. He actually took 5 minutes to explain that to me. He also suggested magnesium supplements, as you've also tried, saying they help in a lot of cases. The keyword here is "a lot" and not "all cases", for you've mentioned having them still. I still take magnesium and I still get them too. I'm still sometimes horrified by them, but I must always remind myself that they are uncomfortable, but not dangerous. It's a bit like headaches: uncomfortable but not dangerous.

If this can also help, I had asked my cardiologist: how is it then that I can be months without feeling any, or very rarely, and other phases I can almost have them every minute or every few seconds. He told me that it just happens and that often, it may be that you're living through something emotionally challenging, like a breakup, moving out, whatever, and I can confirm myself that these often trigger more frequent skipped beats. You can also be emotionally perfectly fine but the very fact you're worrying about them makes you vulnerable to them. I find the more I obsess about them, the more I get them.

Also, getting more fit often helps. From experience, though, I know it's sometimes harder to get more physically fit when you're INSIDE a phase because sometimes just walking faster triggers them. What I do is just build up gradually: normal but steady walks, for a good half hour, and if you can do this daily, then add some when you feel ready, intensity-wise, go right at it.

Anxiousgirl23
27-01-16, 19:09
Hi thanks so much for your great reply it's very reassuring to read and helps me calm down slightly even if just for an hour or so lol.
I wish I could stop with these heart worries. I think to myself right I'm not gonna worry now. Ive wasted enough time and try to ignore but then I get a tight squeezing chest pain with fast heart and wired head sensations and think oh my gawd this deffinatlry isn't a panic attack help I just want to feel like I use to. I never use to worry about my heart. I have always been a worry wart though think it runs in my genes as all my family are worriers. I can't bare to do any exercise. I use to do some hardcore exercise even ran 10k 3 years ago. But now even waking up the road makes my heart go rapid do I can't imagine if I tried to run or even walk up any sort of incline eeeek

n3r0x1k
29-01-16, 02:39
Hi thanks so much for your great reply it's very reassuring to read and helps me calm down slightly even if just for an hour or so lol.
I wish I could stop with these heart worries. I think to myself right I'm not gonna worry now. Ive wasted enough time and try to ignore but then I get a tight squeezing chest pain with fast heart and wired head sensations and think oh my gawd this deffinatlry isn't a panic attack help I just want to feel like I use to. I never use to worry about my heart. I have always been a worry wart though think it runs in my genes as all my family are worriers. I can't bare to do any exercise. I use to do some hardcore exercise even ran 10k 3 years ago. But now even waking up the road makes my heart go rapid do I can't imagine if I tried to run or even walk up any sort of incline eeeek

I totally feel you. Believe me or not, I just came back from the ER, and that's after trying to convince YOU that everything's going to be all right. I still haven't taken off all the electrodes off my chest, arms & legs from the ECG as I'm writing.

I haven't jogged/walked since it started snowing (living in Canada) for a few months and it feels like I have to start all over again. Walking down the road is a great challenge for me too right now. My pulse goes way up and I feel like it's going to explode in my chest. I figure it's just a mixture of anxiety and lack of shape. That and being hypervigilant about one's own heart. Ever notice how you ask some people "Yah, but doesn't your heart do 'that' when you do 'that'?" and they say something like "I dunno, I never really payed attention". A lot of people notice more their breathlessness or sore legs; us, we focus on our hearts, so every small change makes us freak out.

I'm trying to combat this myself so I have no magic answer (yet!, haha) except: do not give a f**k. I know it's easier said than done, the whole nature of obsessions & phobias is the irrational part which is hard to tame, but I often try to tell myself, "Okay, this today, I will NOT give in to these thoughts. I will not check my pulse. If I feel it anyway, I will not give importance to it, I'll be okay, because the doctors and the online documentation told me I'd be okay given the circumstances", etc, and the more you don't cycle in that neural pathway of obsession, the less you'll have them. It's like, try obsessing over anything, a game for example, or the quality of your nails, and review/think about it constantly. You'll find that within a few days, even if you don't want to think about it, it'll come naturally. I think the same applies to heart worries. You initially worry because you don't have answers to symptoms that frighten you, and it's hard not to think about it and not worry when those symptoms are always present (it's not like arachnaphobia where all you have to do is avoid spiders, it's pretty hard to avoid one's heartbeat), so then even when your screening tests come out great, you still have the formed habit of worrying about them. You've come to associate those symptoms to even more events (triggers) and you do a lot of avoidance. The trick (as in CBT) is exposure, even if you go gradually, and to know that obsessions are just like bad habits, you can kick them away by avoiding to give in to them. Again, I know, easier said than done, or else I wouldn't have gone to the ER myself today. But hang in there!

Anxiousgirl23
29-01-16, 17:58
I hope you are ok now? Did you go to The E R because of elevated heart rate or something else? I can't even bring myself to go the doctors or hospital because I am terrified! Last time k went to the doctors for routine bloods she took my blood pressure and pulse and they must have been sky high because she transferred me straight to hospital and j had my little one with me. I was so scared, now I'm so frightened to even step foot in there. I had to take my little one for an appointment and my heart was racing and skipping all over the place. I feel so dizzy when this Happens. I'm deffiantley going to try and ignore everything but like you say it's easy said than done, sometimes if we could listen to our own advice we give we would all be fine lol it's a nightmare isn't it.
At the moment in constantly focused on my breathing as if I can't get a full breath. I'm sure if I don't take that full breath my chest is going to cave in or something.
Thanks for your reply and take care x

n3r0x1k
01-02-16, 14:05
I hope you are ok now? Did you go to The E R because of elevated heart rate or something else?
I went for something else. Of course, that "something else" did cause me to panic and consequently my heart rate to go much faster and blood pressure to shoot up, but that's normal. My BP was at 150/100 when the paramedics took it but that was under panic, and it might have been a little higher before they arrived. Normally I range between 115 & 135 for my systolic (the top number), so don't worry too much if your blood pressure was higher when you were at the doctor's, you were probably under a lot of stress or panicky. Do you recall your numbers?

Those numbers don't really mean anything on your general blood pressure if it can reassure you. When I used to worry about it, my doc had told me that some patients have their blood pressure shoot up at 200/? under panic.

Actually the reason I went to the ER last week was because I had some chest pains, but I believe it was probably psychosaumatic because the ECG and other tests showed no sign of a problem. What got me calling the ambulance was I was alone at home and that symptom created a cycle of panic until I was scared to be left unattended, feeling on the verge of passing out (because of the panic, not because of the chest pains).

now I'm so frightened to even step foot in there.
I know exactly the feeling. Some phases of my life I'd come to associate any medical related place with "something wrong" and/or death, I could barely step foot in a hospital like you, a clinic or even a pharmacy at one point. If it can reassure you, your thought process and reactions can change over time. All you need is to avoid avoidance. Sometimes I was unable to do that so I just went gradually, even if it meant going in for a few seconds just to teach my subconscious mind that there was no danger. I call that positive reinforcements, where you expose yourself to something and when everything goes fine or at least "okay-ish", you're teaching your brain that the place is not a source of danger, the same way we can inadvertently cause negative reinforcements by living panic over & over again when we're exposed to something and then want to avoid it.

sometimes if we could listen to our own advice we give we would all be fine lol it's a nightmare isn't it.
Yeah, exactly!

S14
02-02-16, 17:23
Anxiousgirl, how old are you? if you don't mind me asking. Do you live with anybody, family? Because I wouldn't have made it through this without my mum! So I'm just wondering if you have anybody looking out for you.

It will pass though, I believe it will. So try not to worry so much. The tight chest could be from hyperventalating, I know mine feels tight at times, even bruised. It seems you've had whatever this is longer than me, I really feel for you. It is horrible, but the storm always passes, bringing sunshine.

What helps me when I start to notice myself hyperventalating is grab a pillow and lie flat on the floor (carpet preferably), then breathe out through your mouth, when you feel tight and can't breath usually it's because you're already full of air, then breath with your stomach and relax. I found this helpful when I was at my worst, maybe you should try it if you haven't yet.

But I feel like I'm getting over it slowly, as was posted above sometimes it can take weeks or months to get over a panic attack, I imagine being the first time as it was in my case would scar me a bit. But I've actualły started to get back into my old routine and walk at a normal pace (not in running territory yet), be it 8 weeks later. Still scared of doing anything I know will make my heart race though... Maybe once my chest muscle bruises go away that'll help. My panic attacks have decreased quite a bit, used to happen every night but now maybe once in a week and a half. I still have this nasty cough though, a barking cough I think they call it.

Do you play video games? Get a new game, something you've never played - Video games are the best distractions! Though I did get my first full blown panic attack while playing GTA. But I was online so there are frustrations there. Play something which isn't frustrating.

Maybe console isn't your thing, almost everybody has a smart phone or smart device. So get a mind game, a puzzle game, try Flow. Flow helped me get my mind off things when I couldn't sleep.

Think of something that will get your mind off it and make you happy, eventually (if your brain works like mine), you'll get bored of living in constant fear and move on. All thoughts and worries fade away over time, for some it's more time than others.

Sorry about the long and possibly pointless post, it's 4:30am here... :doh:

Anxiousgirl23
02-02-16, 20:13
I went for something else. Of course, that "something else" did cause me to panic and consequently my heart rate to go much faster and blood pressure to shoot up, but that's normal. My BP was at 150/100 when the paramedics took it but that was under panic, and it might have been a little higher before they arrived. Normally I range between 115 & 135 for my systolic (the top number), so don't worry too much if your blood pressure was higher when you were at the doctor's, you were probably under a lot of stress or panicky. Do you recall your numbers?

Those numbers don't really mean anything on your general blood pressure if it can reassure you. When I used to worry about it, my doc had told me that some patients have their blood pressure shoot up at 200/? under panic.

Actually the reason I went to the ER last week was because I had some chest pains, but I believe it was probably psychosaumatic because the ECG and other tests showed no sign of a problem. What got me calling the ambulance was I was alone at home and that symptom created a cycle of panic until I was scared to be left unattended, feeling on the verge of passing out (because of the panic, not because of the chest pains).

I know exactly the feeling. Some phases of my life I'd come to associate any medical related place with "something wrong" and/or death, I could barely step foot in a hospital like you, a clinic or even a pharmacy at one point. If it can reassure you, your thought process and reactions can change over time. All you need is to avoid avoidance. Sometimes I was unable to do that so I just went gradually, even if it meant going in for a few seconds just to teach my subconscious mind that there was no danger. I call that positive reinforcements, where you expose yourself to something and when everything goes fine or at least "okay-ish", you're teaching your brain that the place is not a source of danger, the same way we can inadvertently cause negative reinforcements by living panic over & over again when we're exposed to something and then want to avoid it.

Yeah, exactly!

I can't wait to feel normal again, I've read Claire weekes book and she says to stop watching time pass and trying to rush things as this will not work. It's so hard though I've been like this for 2 years nearly and gradually got worse as time has gone on.
I have to force myself to do things like go to work and try to live a normal life by putting on a brave face it's awful.
I can't remember my blood pressure readings I just remember my pulse in the doctors surgery was 135bom.
But it's been much higher than that, whilst I was having a panic attack at home it was 160bom it frightens me so much.
I can't even take a bath any more, I literally use to get in the bath every night and look forward to a nice hot bath. There is no way I can get in there now, even having a shower is hard I try and get it done quickly as possible.
Hope your feeling better after your recent hospital visit x

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Anxiousgirl, how old are you? if you don't mind me asking. Do you live with anybody, family? Because I wouldn't have made it through this without my mum! So I'm just wondering if you have anybody looking out for you.

It will pass though, I believe it will. So try not to worry so much. The tight chest could be from hyperventalating, I know mine feels tight at times, even bruised. It seems you've had whatever this is longer than me, I really feel for you. It is horrible, but the storm always passes, bringing sunshine.

What helps me when I start to notice myself hyperventalating is grab a pillow and lie flat on the floor (carpet preferably), then breathe out through your mouth, when you feel tight and can't breath usually it's because you're already full of air, then breath with your stomach and relax. I found this helpful when I was at my worst, maybe you should try it if you haven't yet.

But I feel like I'm getting over it slowly, as was posted above sometimes it can take weeks or months to get over a panic attack, I imagine being the first time as it was in my case would scar me a bit. But I've actualły started to get back into my old routine and walk at a normal pace (not in running territory yet), be it 8 weeks later. Still scared of doing anything I know will make my heart race though... Maybe once my chest muscle bruises go away that'll help. My panic attacks have decreased quite a bit, used to happen every night but now maybe once in a week and a half. I still have this nasty cough though, a barking cough I think they call it.

Do you play video games? Get a new game, something you've never played - Video games are the best distractions! Though I did get my first full blown panic attack while playing GTA. But I was online so there are frustrations there. Play something which isn't frustrating.

Maybe console isn't your thing, almost everybody has a smart phone or smart device. So get a mind game, a puzzle game, try Flow. Flow helped me get my mind off things when I couldn't sleep.

Think of something that will get your mind off it and make you happy, eventually (if your brain works like mine), you'll get bored of living in constant fear and move on. All thoughts and worries fade away over time, for some it's more time than others.

Sorry about the long and possibly pointless post, it's 4:30am here... :doh:

Hi I'm only 26 but I feel like an old lady with serious heart condition it's really getting me down. I've had this awful panic and heart worries for nearly 2 years now, my panic attacks would only occur if I was in a anxious situation then inwouldngrt a panic attack but now I have them pretty much most days with rapid heart daily too. Along with heart squeezing pain and head squeezing pain oh the list is endless.
Sorry but you made me giggle wheat you said about video games. I actually love playing GTA online, by fiancée has this game and I always play on it online and have my own girl character it's so good. I know what you mean about being frustrating I had a panic attack nearly when somebody was shooting me haha sounds ridiculous doesn't it.
Yes I have a really great family around me.
I'm glad your mum has been a big help to you.take care x

dfoxworth
04-07-16, 21:46
How are you getting along now, Anxiousgirl?

Louloulou
15-07-16, 11:33
Hi, I get a fast heart rate and skipped beats at the same time. I also have skipped beats when my heart is not racing. My doc said not to worry unless it goes on for hours. For me the skipped beats cause me to have a panic attack and then I get more skips, it's a vicious circle.