PDA

View Full Version : Is recovery possible?

Ssmith
11-12-15, 16:33
I have been relapsing over and over again for the last few years into what i call a 'breakdown'. This is intense anxiety all the time for no reason and it's terrifying. I've done a bit of reading about it and i can't seem to find what time prognosis is like for it. Can you recover from it no matter how long you've had it? (4-5 years)

uru
11-12-15, 16:48
I'd also like to know the answer to this?

apm
11-12-15, 17:07
With medication to take away the physical effects, and a programme of CBT to build resilience and give us tools to deal with things better, it's is absolutely possible to recover. I have relapsed this time because I stopped the meds too quickly, and needed more time for the CBT to bed in. Fingers cross for this time...

cjemc
11-12-15, 17:15
With medication to take away the physical effects, and a programme of CBT to build resilience and give us tools to deal with things better, it's is absolutely possible to recover. I have relapsed this time because I stopped the meds too quickly, and needed more time for the CBT to bed in. Fingers cross for this time...

What meds you on apm?
How long you had anxiety?

Ssmith
11-12-15, 17:40
I'm on the waiting list for CBT. The problem i have though is that i do worry, but only when I'm at my absolute worst which is now. I'm in a 24/7 state of anxiety and panic for no reason. How would CBT manage to help that out?

uru
11-12-15, 18:28
Ssmith - I was like that this time last week. The meds helped me and distracting myself.

Fishmanpa
11-12-15, 19:34
I truly believe this is a question that has no definitive answer. It's totally an individual case by case, person by person situation. If you've managed periods of time anxiety free, then I believe the answer is yes, as you are in recovery.

I've read here of many that run into "blips" now and again on the road to recovery. I also believe that one must maintain a regiment of mental exercise to maintain their recovery. It's not unlike physical exercise. Stop working out and you lose muscle and gain weight. Stop working out your mind and practicing the techniques you learned in therapy or stop taking your meds and you can fall victim to a relapse.

The truth is, just like serious physical illness, recovery is an individual thing. It depends on the severity of the illness/affliction. There are some that are able to take the dragon by the horns, put him back in his cave and bury him forever and there are some that will be plagued with this their entire lives and everything in between. Sadly, even with one's best efforts and treatment, for some, recovery isn't possible. Again, it's not unlike a serious or chronic physical ailment. As an example, I suffer from side effects of cancer treatment. They're extremely unpleasant. I will have these the rest of my life. I have good days and not-so-good days. The only thing I can do is manage them by proper exercise, physical therapy and medications.

My daughter suffers with depression and anxiety. She's on meds and in therapy. She's doing great but she still has moments when things get to her. We discussed it over the Thanksgiving holiday when she visited us. She said what I'm saying. She has to fall back on the techniques she learned (and is learning) in therapy and make sure she keeps up on it. She also has to maintain her physical exercise and nutrition regime as it really helps her to maintain a positive attitude.

Again, if you've managed to remain in recovery for the time you have, then you're doing something right. Perhaps it's a matter of "exercise" and possibly identifying the triggers associated with your "breakdowns" and finding ways to deal with them more effectively.

Positive thoughts

Ssmith
11-12-15, 20:02
Thanks for the reply fishmanpa,

I've battled with this over a 5 odd year duration. I'm 25 so been battling this quite early. I've had times where I've been able to work full time and do all sorts of social things and situations. Unfortunately, i split with my long term gf a month ago and i think it's this that has plunged me into this terrible ordeal.

Over the 5 years, I've tried pretty much every SSRI with little effect, however I've never really been in therapy. I've just been battling on with it. I'm trying to say to myself that with the proper medication and therapy, i can live a stable life. However, when I'm in the midst of it, like i am now, i feel like i'm the one who will struggle for the rest of my life feeling like this, not able to work, not able to have a life. Those thoughts are terrifying and i realise whilst in the midst of one of the worst episodes I've ever gone through is unrealistic. But i can't shake those thoughts from my head

Sam Winter
11-12-15, 20:37
yes it possible i've had for three years and just started getting help and i'm already seeing results it is possible as long as you believe it is x

Fishmanpa
11-12-15, 23:41
Sorry to hear about your breakup. The emotional trauma of the dissolution of a long term relationship most certainly can cause enough stress to put you in a tailspin.

When I was recovering from my heart issues and again with the cancer, I suffered from some depression. I sought therapy and was prescribed meds in both cases. One thing I did this time around with the cancer was CBT. I did a downloadable course that was here free for a while (CBT4PANIC). While all aspects didn't apply to me, there was a lot of valuable information and very practical exercises that helped not only with the depression and "scanxity" but many have been useful in everyday stressful situations (i.e. work) that I still use daily. My therapist was all for it.

Its just my opinion but I believe you would benefit from CBT. It's just so logical and straight forward. From your posts, it appears that you're the type of person that would grasp the logic behind it and be able to apply it to your situation. I see you're on the waiting list for CBT but in the meantime, looking at an online course may be beneficial. Perhaps some members can suggest some free downloadable courses or you can do a search and check out reviews.

Positive thoughts

JessicaAdamson
12-12-15, 06:05
I think you should start taking therapy, therapy will help your doctor to understand your problem deeply and know the cause of your anxiety issues. There is a great chance to recover fast by taking proper medicines and therapy together.