PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else

MikeyT
12-12-15, 17:09
Had a set back last weekend and it always seems to take me a while to get over it, where I find it really difficult to stop thinking about what happens if I have another one and this is feeling is even more at this time of year.

I have worked all week to keep myself busy and tried to do my normal routine, like swimming, breathing and meditating exercises etc. I also have no appetite at all.

But I can't shake this thought. Any advice?

uru
12-12-15, 17:15
Sorry, nothing here. :(

I would be interested in th answers though.

ana
12-12-15, 17:49
The fear of going backwards is what many of us experience, however, it's important to understand that setbacks are a part of recovery. Every recovery is a curvy road with many bumps and stops along the way. What you should focus instead is all the times you felt really good and was able to accomplish a lot. Whenever I have a setback, all I can think about is how bad I'm feeling now as opposed to how good I used to feel before the setback happened.

Saying that, though, I've recently started writing down every accomplishment and noting down the days I felt really good because I want to be reminded, when I have a bad day or a blip, that I did feel good at one point and that I'll feel just as good again. :)

Seffie
19-12-15, 02:06
Ana - that is great advice. I have just had a setback this evening after a great night out and after handling some difficult situations well, but when you have a setback you just feel like that all counts for nothing and like you'll never be free of panic etc. I'm going to start making notes of all the things I handled well so I can have a more balanced view.
Thanks Seffie x

ana
19-12-15, 16:05
Sure, and I think it's a great idea to note down that night out you had as well as how well you handled those difficult situations. I completely relate to what you said about feeling like nothing else matters except for the setback and you can only focus on how badly you're feeling right now as opposed to how great you felt before the setback happened.

I've been feeling well for the past 2 months, and I've made note of every single thing I've accomplished so far! :)