PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive ear popping

H_E
12-12-15, 19:55
I am diagnosed with anxiety and i have been suffering with compulsive ear popping for about 6 months. My ears constantly feel full so I have to pop them, this is worse when i am anxious. The popping seems to increase the pressure in my ears sometimes causing them to hurt which makes me worry that i am doing damage to my ear drums and will suddenly find myself in agony. I also worry that the increase in pressure in my head is going to lead to a brain tumor or aneurism or something. The popping also seems to make me feel constantly nauseous and occasionally vomit.

The issue is starting to affect my relationship as my boyfriend is getting 'fed up' of the same thing.

Any advice??
Thank you

Chocolateface
12-12-15, 20:35
Hi

Have you seen your gp about this, I would go just to rule out infections, inbalances in the ear can cause dizziness.
My husband and son both have ear issues, and always complain of feeling dizzy and sick when things flare up

Clare

uru
12-12-15, 20:58
Stress deafness or menieres?

H_E
12-12-15, 21:25
Hi

Have you seen your gp about this, I would go just to rule out infections, inbalances in the ear can cause dizziness.
My husband and son both have ear issues, and always complain of feeling dizzy and sick when things flare up

Clare

Yeah the GP said everything looked fine in my ear

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Hi

Clare

Stress deafness or menieres?

No deafness just feels full..

uru
12-12-15, 21:34
I had something like that. Does it feel like water in the ear?

H_E
12-12-15, 22:31
I had something like that. Does it feel like water in the ear?

Yeah kinda it's weird. Even when they don't feel full I can't stop popping them when I swallow

debs71
13-12-15, 01:46
It sounds like a problem with your eustachian tube.

I have the same issues. Both my ears are 'noisy' - sort of crunchy and popping when I chew/eat, and my left ear is the worst....I wake up in the morning and have to pop that ear as it feels totally full and blocked up - nightmare.

Your doctor may well see no issue when looking in your ear, if there is no inflammation, fluid or bulging eardrum, but you can still have a eustachian tube problem, because the blockage is beyond the middle ear - they can't see a that with their 'scope.

I find a few things help - steaming over a bowl of hot water, antihistamines and decongestant nasal sprays, but they do say it can just get better with time - though as yet that hasn't happened for me. I also saw my GP about it and he said my ears were fine, sigh.

Hope things improve for you soon. :)

LilGsMama
26-01-16, 10:35
I've had this since mid-Dec... also getting a lot of catarrh with it. Has anyone found any relief? :ohmy:

MrsCav
27-01-16, 09:59
Steam steam and more steam. I've had it since December, two lots of anti b's and it's still going on in both my ears. But I have found those little steam inhalation pots with methol crystals have worked. But I can tell when I haven't done it for a day or so as the pressure builds back up again.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-16, 06:41
Steam steam and more steam. I've had it since December, two lots of anti b's and it's still going on in both my ears. But I have found those little steam inhalation pots with methol crystals have worked. But I can tell when I haven't done it for a day or so as the pressure builds back up again.

If it's a sinus issue (I'm assuming you are not inhaling steam through your ears :D) swgrl has mentioned how "netipots" are very good with a saline solution. They look like little teapots you pour in your nose...how very English!!! :yesyes:

Or maybe a salt pipe? They seem good for things at the back of the throat.