PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations all evening :(

blondielady
13-12-15, 05:00
So I've noticed over the past few days I have had palpitations a couple times a day. I've been trying to make sure I'm getting enough rest and eating nutritious foods and stuff to try to stave off any racing heart issues (I get tachycardia sometimes). Well later on this afternoon I got a couple of pretty big thuds while shopping so I decided to head home to try to relax. They kept on coming to the point where they were a couple minutes apart, sometimes a minute apart, sometimes a few in a row. This has been going on all evening. I went to the ER just to get it checked out and they did an EKG (which they only did for like a minute so it didn't catch anything), and then hooked me up to a regular heart monitor. The woman who was supposed to be watching it said she didn't see anything but by husband was able to tell each time I had a couple beats close together with a longer pause. Then as she was about ready to unhook everything she caught the monitor right at the end of a palp. They did all that and even a chest x-ray and said there was really nothing they could do and that I should just go home and relax and see my doctor about it to see if she recommends a cardiologist.

So on the drive home I had lots of palps. Sitting here just using the computer, palps every couple minutes. I've had some issues with heartburn the past few days so I'm wondering if that is irritating a nerve or something? This whole evening I've also been shaky. The blood tests they did at the hospital didn't show anything either. So I can't help but feel anxious and I don't know how I will sleep tonight :(. I sort of want to cry and then a thud distracts me from crying. Has anyone else had them come on so regularly for such a long period of time?

jenni89
13-12-15, 18:13
Hello,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are experiencing these palpitations :/ You went to the E.R. and they didn't speculate anything serious so if they did, they would have admitted you. I would follow up with a Dr. to get a more thorough exam just for more peace of mind but I doubt it is nothing more than anxiety. I have always had the random "thud" palps for as long as I could remember, one would happen far and few in between. Then in August, I was getting runs of them happening like every 7th beat for a period of time off and on. There were other times my heart would race and palpitate and it scared the daylights out of me. And then other times my heart rate was slower than usual and that caused more panic. An EKG finally caught an episode and my dr said it was coming from an area of the heart of no concern. I have been referred to a cardiologist, still waiting on the appointment. I have had heart concerns for months now and I have started Zoloft in September and it seems to finally be helping. The past 2-3 weeks I haven't had many fluttery heart episodes so I truly believe that if you focus on your heart and worry, chances are you will experience more of these things :/ So try to relax in the meantime. I know they are scary and it's hard to believe that anxiety can cause such issues but you have to try and take the focus off the heart.

I would also like to add that sometimes when I am having stomach pain or have eaten a heavy meal, I will experience more palps. I really do believe there is a stomach/heart connection.

Well wishes to you!

kezzal
13-12-15, 18:15
hi hun i get this sometimes my longest bout lasted 3 weeks all day all night =( went hospital several times and they caught all of them they was not concerned at all bloods came back clear this has happened a few times n same every time they say they are just normal palps! i get them worse after a very heavy meal or sometimes if im very hungry its been 3 long years since my palps first started and now i do my very best not to even consider them when i feel them i just carry on coughing helps me i hope you feel better soon hun remember if they thought it was something sinister they wouldnt send you home my doc has seen hundreds of my palps x

blondielady
13-12-15, 18:25
Thank you for the kind words. Last night I went to bed and I felt like there was finally some relief just laying on my right side and watching some TV. However, I think maybe the extra beats were still occurring but I wasn't noticing them that much in that position because every now and then I would feel more awake and look at my Fitbit and see that my pulse was like 95 just while laying in bed (that's when its maybe 65-70 normally). I slept maybe 2 hours and then woke up feeling the thuds again so I got up, had a piece of banana and some water, and then went out to the couch to sleep (just so my husband's snoring wouldn't keep me awake too!). I was able to go back to sleep around 7 and woke up at noon so thankfully I was able to get some sleep. Now, however, I'm up and around and I'm still feeling the episodes :(. The palps come on every few beats sometimes and in succession. Then other times I can go a few minutes with nothing. It all seems super random. I'm trying to just go ahead and do other things and hope that my heart just goes back to normal.

I'm definitely seeing my doctor about this tomorrow. I've been to a cardiologist a couple of years ago for my rare episodes of AVNRT and he recommended ablation. Of course that absolutely terrifies me because, well, they monkey with my heart! Now after dealing with this upleasantness for 18 hours, that surgery isn't sounding too bad.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Ugh... just sitting here using the computer I'm noticing these things coming on every 4-10 beats or so. Because of this I hardly want to eat because eating amplifies the feeling :(.

uru
13-12-15, 19:02
Someone on here suggested bearing down..like going to the loo. I gave it a try and it really helped me. :)

blondielady
13-12-15, 19:04
Yes that actually does help me as well when I'm having runs of tachycardia. It can sometimes stop them dead in their tracks. However this is just like getting the "thud" type beats every 4-10 beats or so at times and I can't seem to do anything to stop them :(