PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

uru
14-12-15, 21:51
Wondered how you all are with alcohol?

I like a drink and drank a lot in my youth. I find it harder and harder to drink these days and see a direct link between my drinking and anxiety.

It started in 2010 with acid reflux. Nowadays, in my late 30's it's palpitations and waking up in the middle of the night.

I read a message board with a lot of people reporting similar symptoms so I thought I'd ask here. Do you have symptoms like this?

Fishmanpa
14-12-15, 22:57
There is a lot of affirmation on the boards to your thoughts and experiences. My personal feeling is it's not a good mix. If you're on meds even more so. Every single med listed in the meds section advise to "avoid or limit" your intake sans one which is a beta blocker, in which case it can lower your BP more and cause fainting and one that can increase the risks of liver damage!

I was like you. Now? I'm on meds for my health issues that advise against it. At most I can have "a" beer once in a while with a meal per my GP (averages 2-3x a month). I have a "chill pill" I take occasionally and abstain totally while taking it. It's just not worth the risk to me.

If you can handle it, great. Most that post about it here cannot and/or have negative reactions.

Positive thoughts

Chocolateface
15-12-15, 19:42
Never thought about it that much, I wasn't a big drinker in my youth, and while I did get drunk I never passed out or became hospitalised or anything like that. Alcohol though is a depressive substance so in a way it does make sense

Clare

debs71
15-12-15, 21:57
I'm a total lightweight with booze. Was as a teenager/in my twenties and still am.

I don't really like the taste of alcohol either, as much as a nice coke or at the most a girly cocktail, lol, but that is at far as it goes.

I have a glass of white wine with a meal out, but again, I don't get a big thrill out of it. I also find that some wine gives me terrible heartburn.

Frankly, I would rather have a large cup of tea and an equally large packet of Chocolate Buttons with it! :D

.Poppy.
15-12-15, 23:18
Alcohol itself doesn't bother me too much, unless it's making me physically ill which then causes a panic attack.

However, it messes with my sleep - I don't sleep as well and usually when I drink I'm out later anyway, and that spikes my anxiety.