PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Intolerance - Can anxiety cause this ?

JonnyUK
15-12-15, 02:01
When I was in my teens I drank booze fine, then after I started to suffer anxiety issues I found my face would go bright red and thump after just a few sips :blush: and I would often feel nauseous, this never happened the year before. I now still can't drink 17 years later. It might just be coincidence, but I just wondered if this happened to anyone here ?

Jherron
15-12-15, 05:22
Do you have high blood pressure?

MyNameIsTerry
15-12-15, 08:04
If it happens quickly then it could be an anxious reaction to sensations in your body i.e. a trigger. Some people have had that.

It's not the usual issue of anxiety and alcohol as the extremely low volume (a sherry trifle would be a problem!) and the speed is not the same as someone suffering the next day. If you think it could be an allergic reaction, it would be a good idea to speak to your GP.

JonnyUK
16-12-15, 04:53
Thanks. I have not tested my blood pressure but I think I do have, I am very overweight. But this did start while I was slim. It is very much like Asian flush which is when an enzyme is missing from the body, but I used to take it fine, just very weird.

LeftyEX
16-12-15, 17:55
Is it beer or just alcohol in general?

If it's beer that causes this then you might want to get checked for celiac. (Nothing serious, you just need to take wheat/barley/rye out of your diet if you have it.)

uru
16-12-15, 18:40
Have you had a liver test? Make sure your liver is functioning OK.