PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my cat

jadedreams
15-12-15, 17:11
Hey guys, I had a better few days - was working hard on looking at the positives and not letting anxiety get to me.

Today I'm having a bit of a rougher time. My cat didn't want to eat much this morning and now I'm really worried about her. She did drink some milk I gave her and ate a few bites of cheese. She is 15 years old and my anxiety of course makes me go to the worse case scenario.

It just seems like the past few months I have been hit with one stressor after another and then my anxiety magnifies it x 10. I just wish things would stay calmer until *I* am calmer and have a better handle on my anxiety.

Any thoughts for me would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

pulisa
15-12-15, 17:22
I'd say if she doesn't start eating again properly by the morning then it's probably best to get her checked over by the vet. Keep an eye out for any diarrhoea and vomiting. The milk may not be the best thing for her but if that's all she'll take it's better than nothing. At 15 she is at the age when blood tests may be necessary as kidney problems can start-also thyroid but normally cats eat loads and lose weight with an overactive thyroid.

A blood screening may be the best thing and would highlight any potential problems but hopefully she'll pick up really soon and you won't need a vet visit. She could just have eaten something dodgy and is feeling a bit rough?

jadedreams
15-12-15, 22:30
Thanks Pulisa, I will keep an eye on her. I'm hoping she picks up eating again as right now I can't afford the vet - there have been too many financial strains on me lately. Another stressor that has added to my anxiety.

I only tried the milk to see if she would drink and she went to it right away. I will try regular food when I get home from work tonight. She has been acting normal right up to this morning and has not lost weight and seems like her normal self. She just didn't eat much which is unusual for her.

jadedreams
16-12-15, 22:50
Well she ate more normally last night, but this morning didn't eat all of her food again. She is still acting fine, looking to be petted etc. I am so worried, a big part of this is my anxiety but with her age honestly there could be something going on.

It's breaking my heart as I'm imagining the worst and as I mentioned I have had so many things break or happen lately that I have no money to take her to be checked.

Right now I feel so lost, it seems like every time I start to get a leg up on this anxiety/intrusive thoughts and depression something happens. Then I get knocked back down again. I just don't know what to do, feeling overwhelmed and pretty sad at the moment. I know life can always throw us curveballs, but right now I feel like I'm being kicked while I'm already down.

Fishmanpa
16-12-15, 23:12
I have a kitty fur baby so I understand your concern. You do have a point concerning her age. Just keep an eye on her. It really could be as simple as an upset tummy (our boy had the same thing happen along with puking. Turned out to be an upset tummy from hairballs). Check to make sure she's urinating and pooping normally. If she shows any signs of discomfort or acts lethargic, best to have her checked. Most vets will allow you to make payments if you can't afford a visit or meds (mine does) so don't hesitate to call and ask.

Hope she feels better soon.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
17-12-15, 13:00
I don't have a cat, I have a dog, but my GF has 3 cats and her family have always had them.

She has told me many times how her cats go without food some days and then they are fine. She has also told me just how sneaky her moggies are. New neighbours moved in with cats and they were stupidly putting their food outside...so you can guess what happened. :D

Some people feed cats too and then they don't eat what you give them. She has told me this before. We had a well looked after local cat meowing on our back doorstep for about a week when we were making food with the door open in the walm weather. He/she wanted some food.

My dog has days where he doesn't want food. He had one yesterday. Sometimes he will eat some biscuits instead of meat when this happens and some times nothing at all.

With my GF's cats, she only gets worried if they don't seem well. If they seem happy and with energy and as FMP says, the toilet habits are ok, it could just be an off day.

jadedreams
18-12-15, 15:42
Thanks guys. She's not quite actiing right I'm afraid - seems a bit more lethargic than usual. She did eat last night - but this morning just licked at her food. I'm really worried and my anxiety/depression has taken a nosedive with this. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if something happened to her.

Just feeling really scared and discouraged at the moment.

Fishmanpa
18-12-15, 16:30
Just call the vet, tell them about your monetary situation and ask if they can help. I would think they wouldn't refuse you if your kitty is really ill.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
18-12-15, 17:03
As FMP says please contact your vet as soon as possible. There are always ways round paying the bill (maybe in instalments) and you owe it to your cat to get her looked at.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-15, 23:07
Are there no walk in our charity vet services?

Fishmanpa
19-12-15, 18:52
Just checking in to see how your kitty is doing. Did you contact the vet? Maybe there's an animal clinic that would help for free or a very nominal cost?

Positive thoughts

jadedreams
20-12-15, 20:48
Hey thanks for checking in guys, she has been eating on and off. still very worried about her, I did sell something yesterday and am going to take her to vet tomorrow. None of the ones around here will take payments, I made some calls to check. I'm very worried about what the vet will say and am not sure how I will handle it if I lose her.

jadedreams
21-12-15, 15:41
Guys my appointment with the vet is later on today, I am in total freak out mode and trying not to be. I'm so afraid I'm going to hear the worst. I feel so fragile right now and like I'm falling apart. My intrusive thoughts have really kicked up with this.

Carolin
21-12-15, 16:28
I hope it goes well at the vets.

My cat is 16, and on lots of meds. I hope the vet can reassure you and there is treatment if necessary. I love my cat so much. I know how you will be feeling.
Do you have someone to go with you for support ?

Good luck xx

swgrl09
21-12-15, 16:42
Been there with my pets and it's so hard!! I found it worse when my pets were sick because at least people can tell you what's wrong. They can't.

But the vet appointment is smart. Cats get upper respiratory and urinary infections a lot that are easily treated. It might be something simple.

jadedreams
21-12-15, 18:42
Thanks guys for the support - I'm afraid I don't have anyone to go with me, the closer it gets to appointment time the worse my anxiety is getting. I am sitting here at work shaking, trying not to cry. How do I do this? I just keep feeling they are going to say it's terminal when I take my cat in. I am so scared and my thoughts are all over the place.

Fishmanpa
21-12-15, 19:12
I know it's hard. I wish there were some magic words to reassure you. You have to do this. It would be worse if something happened and it was preventable. You'll find the inner strength.

Let us know how you get on.

Positive thoughts

jadedreams
21-12-15, 23:57
Ok back home with good news, I am so relieved. My cat has hyperthyroidism and can take meds, all other bloodwork was good and her heart sounded good. My vet said that was great for a cat her age, she's actually 16, I was off a year. The vet even gave me free meds for 3 months, she was wonderful. Thank you everyone so much for your support, it really meant a lot to me.

Fishmanpa
22-12-15, 00:02
:yesyes: Great news! Here's to many more years of purrs and head butt's :D

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-15, 11:43
:yahoo: Now go out and buy your moggie a nice treat for Xmas.

You see, the need to care for your pet overcame your crippling anxiety about it. It does. The thought of doing nothing and watch them suffer is far worse to us than suffering increased anxiety.

swgrl09
22-12-15, 12:13
Oh what a relief! I am so happy to hear that. Sounds like you have a great vet too.

Carolin
22-12-15, 12:54
That's great news :)

My cat has thyroid problems too ( she is 16 ) .She has one small pink tablet per day, and it is controlled.

I'm so relieved for you xx

jadedreams
22-12-15, 19:55
Thanks again everyone, yeah I was amazed at the vet giving me free meds. I told her I'd sold stuff to bring my cat in and she said to let her know if I was ever having difficulties money wise and she would do her best to help with meds,etc. When I had called the front desk they said they didn't take payments, but talking to the vet in person was completely different. I can tell she really cares about the animals under her care and she has earned a customer for life with me.

It was just so nice in this sea of anxiety to find such caring people. And I can say the same for all of you on here. While I do have family and friends who would support however I ask, none of them has had anxiety and they don't understand like you all do. I will do my best to support any of you as well!

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-15, 04:52
Thats a vet worth sticking to like glue. She obviously cares so much that she wouldn't see an animal suffer due to money. Thats someone who will pull out all the stops for you in the future and I bet she has got some very pleased customers (and patients!)

I've always found vets & their nurses to be first rate and often wished we had the same in the human medical profession!

pulisa
24-12-15, 08:54
I'm very pleased that the vet has diagnosed a manageable condition although from experience it can be tricky getting the right dose of meds to keep thyroid levels healthy and your cat will need regular blood tests to check this. Your vet is well aware of your situation though and it's great to hear of someone who is so caring and willing to put the animal first as opposed to the lucrative earnings of the practice.

Please keep us posted as to how your cat is responding to the meds and have a lovely Christmas!