PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol good for anxiety???

cjemc
15-12-15, 21:35
Okay. The politically correct answer is no. Alcohol is not supposed to be good for you or effective in treating anxiety. However, what most people don't realize is that the same tranquilizers often prescribed by psychiatrists (Xanax, Ativan, etc.) are actually in the same drug category as alcohol (i.e., central nervous system depressants). That's just a fact. The political part of this is the stigma associated with alcohol abuse. However, there's just as much potential to abuse tranquilizers that are ACCEPTED as part of pharmacotherapy to treat anxiety disorders and are prescribed as "psychiatric treatments." And that usage over long periods comes with the same exact withdrawal and addiction that is associated with alcoholism. It's exactly the same withdrawal symptoms, and though the liver may not be the most vulnerable in some cases other neurological or organ damage can occur, as is typical with abusing many types of drugs.

uru
15-12-15, 22:50
But doesn't alcohol contain more 'stuff' than those medicines?

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Also booze doesn't usually have a dose.:roflmao:

DEREKG
15-12-15, 23:11
Having recently had to spend time in a rehab from using alcohol to self-medicate my anxiety, I really don't recommend it as a long term solution. I take your point about it seeming effective but it's a dangerous method. I'm still trying to find a solution to my anxiety but alcohol is not it.....

MyNameIsTerry
15-12-15, 23:22
But doesn't alcohol contain more 'stuff' than those medicines?

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Also booze doesn't usually have a dose.:roflmao:

"Nurse, 2 drams of Kraken" :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Calum,

Yes, Benzo tolerance is well known and very quick. Concern about this class of drugs was so high that the UN created legislation to ensure it's members create local policies to prevent it's movement. Only a few parties are not signed onto this.

Doctors issue far more addictive and damaging drugs than Benzodiazapenes. Just look at their use of things like morphine & ketamine. But the point is a doctor is licenced and held legally responsible to a body and the Court. They are trained (in theory :whistles:). They only issue them long term when medically doing so its preferable to the alternative.

Fishmanpa
16-12-15, 00:21
Calum,

Your use of alcohol, in copious amounts, as a means to self medicate is well documented on this forum. Suggesting this, IMO, is just an attempt to justify your self destructive behavior.

Best wishes, good luck to you and as always...

Positive thoughts

MissyMischief
16-12-15, 02:45
What's sad is that it's hard to get doctors to prescribe benzos long term, so I think a lot of people just turn to alcohol because it's so readily available. What's unfortunate, is that benzos can allow you to still work your job, drive a car etc...(unless you have drowsiness/dizziness, but I never experienced these symptoms), but with alcohol you can't do those things.

I believe their use should be monitored closely, and a slow withdrawal process should be utilized, but honestly, I feel that prescribed, monitored doses of benzos are just fine. Especially while beginning a new antidepressant and in conjunction with therapy.

wubu
19-12-15, 23:55
Having recently had to spend time in a rehab from using alcohol to self-medicate my anxiety, I really don't recommend it as a long term solution. I take your point about it seeming effective but it's a dangerous method. I'm still trying to find a solution to my anxiety but alcohol is not it.....

If there was a like button I would press it, well said.