PDA

View Full Version : What are panic attacks? Really?

Masonn
18-12-15, 00:57
Okay, so I've had really bad health anxiety on and off since I was 13 (17 now) and I'm going through another phase of it now (obviously, why I'm here) but I go through posts and people have really bad experiences and symptoms of panic attacks. What I considered my panic attack (now I'm even questioning if they are panic attacks) is I randomly just get mentally attacked and convinced that I'm going to die and that this or that feeling I get every now and then is just cancer inside my spreading and this or that little thing is the symptom and sign blah blah. This causes me to just pace around the house with these thoughts finding enjoyment in nothing else and in a really terrible state of mind.

However, during these episodes, I don't necessarily shake, feel nauseous or dizzy or other somewhat intense physical symptoms that I read up on that 'panic attacks' really are. I do have long term symptoms though, that are always here when I am in my anxious state of mind, such as difficulty breathing regularly (not just during those intense panic moments) and very aware of every ache and feeling in my body.

NOW (this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous) I'm paranoid I don't really have that bad anxiety and all my 'anxiety' symptoms all the doctors have been blaming it on are real and related to other things.

nivekc251
18-12-15, 04:39
It is the fight or flight mechanism in your brain. When your mind feels that you are in danger your brain makes your body do certain things. Rapid breathing, increased blood preasure, halts digestion, dilates your pupils. It goes back to primitive days of hunting and what not. When you are truly not in danger and you are hyper aware of your senses this natural response feels freaky as he'll to you, and that makes you feel even more in danger so the feeling intensifies even more. When this happens try breathing exercises they help me. 2 seconds in 4 seconds out. Just try and calm down and realize that you are okay and not in danger.

spacebunnyx
18-12-15, 16:49
I think everyone's experience is different. I had exceptionally weird symptoms that the gp thought were panic attacks, but actually were neurological and from medication in origin.

Xxx