PDA

View Full Version : Recurrent chest infections

shakey1961
18-12-15, 22:27
Hi all.

I'm not anxious or panicking about it, but was wondering if people could give me advice.

The night of putting the clocks back (25 Oct) I woke with a sore throat which turned into a flu type illness. I recovered from that.

However, three weeks later I started with another chest infection which I believe turned into Bronchitis. It has taken me approx. 18 days to recover from that, but now I'm still coughing and was a bit breathless as I feel something is now on my lungs.

Doc has given me antibiotics to be taken if it gets worse in the next few days.

What I'm concerned about is, why am I getting chest infection after chest infection? Or is this normal to get a spate of them in a row?

Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-15, 23:05
Sometimes they recede but are still there because a course of antibiotics isn't sufficient or your body hasn't truly beaten the infection on it's own. Sometimes they move location.

It's completely normal and just means more treatment is needed.

You immune system has been fighting infection so it will be reduced leaving you open to things. Get plenty of vitamin C.

shakey1961
18-12-15, 23:34
I've just been fighting them with my own immune system, drinking plenty, and taking Lemsip. So all things considered, my own body has done quite a good job fighting it and getting me well.

GP has given me some antibiotics which I have been told to take if it gets worse. Let's see how things go.

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-15, 04:52
Yes, it sounds like it's been doing well on it's own. I reckon going the natural way is going to mean a bit of up & down with it and since your GP was happy not to recommend you start the antibiotics straight away, they seem to agree. MY dad always uses Lemsip for the same reason amd he rarely ends up on antibiotics which isn't bad for someone mid seventies.

If you can, don't have them dispensed until you need them since you may sort it on your own and it saves them a bit of cash.