PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos panic attacks

Cbear83
19-12-15, 22:41
Hi all, I suffer from very bad health anxiety and always go to the worst end result- I am going to die. From cancer, heart problems, autoimmune things- you name it - I have convinced myself over the years I have had it and spent a small fortune on private tests to reassure myself I do not.

My recent worry is our asbestos garage we have. I go in and out the thing daily to use tumble dryer. Our survey said it is in tact and ok 4 years ago.
Recently we emptied the garage contents into a skip and I could feel dust in my mouth and am worried I was exposed to the asbestos.

My husband also drilled 5 small holes into it to afix a post to wall and I am
Terrified I breathed in the fibres there.
I am terrified that if the fibres still in the air after 2 years?!! Is this classed as long term exposure if I go the there daily?!!
Also recently I noticed a crack in the board about 4 inches long that we have not seen before. I think it may have been the door slamming shut in the high winds- would have been when the Tumble is on.
I am terrified when I went out to get washing in I breathed in some of the fibres from the crack!

I have now convinced myself I am
Going to die in 10 - 40 years leaving my
Daughter and I cannot function at all.
My rational head knows you need to have long exposure the asbestos fibres to cause a problem and the little fibres (if I did inhale any) should not cause me a problem but I cannot accept that!

Am worried about how long fibres stay in the air. The garage door is open daily and I wondered if the high winds would have blown them away. Or if still in the garage and I going in there daily - is this classed as long term exposure?!!!!

The internet is so confusing and I am
Getting in a right state :(

Anyone with knowledge please please help
Me!

uru
19-12-15, 23:00
I wouldn't worry

Are you at risk?

If you live in a home built before 1980, there's probably some asbestos in it. The stuff was used in a lot of different building materials. But here's the good news for homeowners. The people who get asbestosis, mesothelioma, and asbestos-related lung cancer are almost always people who fall into one of these groups:

Asbestos mine, mill, or transportation workers
Asbestos product workers (e.g., shipbuilders, construction workers, pipefitters, auto mechanics)
Families of asbestos workers (because of fibers brought home on clothes and in hair)
People who live near asbestos mines or mills

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/77014/How-Much-Should-You-Worry-About-Asbestos-in-the-Home

Fishmanpa
20-12-15, 01:09
Unfortunately, there's no amount of expertise nor reassurance that will quell the irrationality of your thoughts.

It's up to you to rationalize the impossibility of your perceived scenario. I do sympathize that you have this fear but truly, it's absolutely implausible and irrational. Please don't allow it ruin your holidays.

Positive thoughts

Cbear83
20-12-15, 08:00
So do you think I am not at much risk?

uru
20-12-15, 10:07
You are at a risk which is so close to 0 it's impossible to calculate. You're far more at risk of damaging your health doing the things you probably do daily.

Drink alcohol? That's pretty harmful
Eat meat? A known carcinogen!
Drive? Probably the most likely way for someone to die accidentally.
Smoke? Oh lord!

shelzmike
22-12-15, 06:04
Unfortunately, there's no amount of expertise nor reassurance that will quell the irrationality of your thoughts.

It's up to you to rationalize the impossibility of your perceived scenario. I do sympathize that you have this fear but truly, it's absolutely implausible and irrational. Please don't allow it ruin your holidays.

Positive thoughts

What a fantastic response! This is so true of all of us. Sure re-assurance helps us feel better at times, but ultimately it is our own thoughts that have to change for real relief.

On that note, I have gone through bouts of asbestos worries myself. Our house was built during the prime time this stuff was being use, though I think we have none. Never had it tested.

I have done the whole internet research thing and generally feel OK that I am not in any danger zone in terms of exposure. I have also realized that yes asbestos is a concern, but I think the level of concerned has grossly been misrepresented - you know why? Money - once it was determined that it was bad and people were getting sick and that there was a big upside for lawsuits, it got publicized out the wazoo which makes it seem worse than it really is.

All things considered, I wouldn't worry one bit in your situation. Even IF you inhaled it during the times you go in there, I don't think this is in any way considered long term exposure. THose that get sick, swam in it all day long for years and years.

Mike

Cbear83
23-12-15, 20:40
Thank you,
We live in an old cottage and have had work done recently and I realised the builder took out part of a wall covered with artex that probably had asbestos in it.
I hoovered up the dust as was present with my daughter.

Am panicking now about that exposure 7 months ago! Although rationally I know it people with long term heavy exposure who get ill I am worried about my exposure. My GP was lovely yesterday and have me a chest x ray which she said that if inhaled it I would have pleural plaque but now googled that at do not think it would show that quickly!
So worried it ruining my life