PDA

View Full Version : Best meds for GAD??

karenp
20-12-15, 13:25
Hi I have struggled with GAD for 13 year snow since I was having my son. I am taking 15mg of Mirtazapine but feel anxious still and also Propraolol 40mg x 4 a day and an antihistamine my doctor prescribed. I should be super chilled, lol.
I was on Citralopram in the past but the start up effect sput me off it this time around and I also took Lexapro (Escit) for the past two years but came off it in June when it was not helping any more.
Any suggestions guys?

nedmcg
21-12-15, 00:14
N.I.C.E have guidelines on what to prescribe for gad,

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Treatment.aspx

looks like you have tired some SSRI's which are the first line although there are many of them so because one doesn't work doesn't mean another wont.

I tried all sorts and although citalopram helped me for 8 years i have ended up on Pregabalin which worked for me

apm
21-12-15, 13:13
Citalopram does work really well (at least for me), but the first few weeks are pretty hellish. As nedmcg has pointed out, there are numerous SSRIs (Citalopram is one), so maybe another might suit you better?

Fishmanpa
21-12-15, 13:25
Meds for mental health conditions are like shoes IMO. Some fit and some don't. Some can make you feel extremely uncomfortable until they break in and some are comfy from the start. It's totally an individual thing and one that should be discussed with a medical/metal health professional.

Positive thoughts

Beej22
21-12-15, 14:48
I have found magnesium and vitamin b (1,3,6) have helped more than anything else.

Leah1971
22-12-15, 13:05
Hi Karen, have you ever tried Zoloft? I've been on it in the past and it helped a lot.

ray.olsen
24-12-15, 13:21
Hey

How are you? :)

In my experience any medication works on me, it's a matter of choosing which among those shows less harmful side-effects. :) What I do instead of taking many different kinds of anti-depressants, is I simply do more different approaches in dealing with my anxiety. Here are some of the different methods that I consider.

Herbal tea like kava and chamomile has been my drinking buddy ever since I got diagnosed with anxiety issues, great with calming the nerves and great taste. Endoca hemp products has been a great nutritional supplement, it's anxiolytic and anti-depressant properties significantly reduced my anxiety episodes.

I also meditate, exercise constantly, and have a weekly aromatherapy with chiropractic massage sessions. And of course the counselling/CBT has always been of great help especially with the intrusive thoughts that anxiety brings. :scared15:

There are more to this treatment plan but I only mentioned the most significant ones. I urge you to also find a treatment plan that will work for you, and if its advisable, don't depend solely on the meds. The world is filled with anxiety-beating activities and natural remedies. You just need to find it. :winks: