PDA

View Full Version : OCD or anxiety?

char123
21-12-15, 12:50
Hi,

Ive been wondering whether I actually have OCD or if its a 'side effect' of the anxiety.I get these sort of like intrusive thoughts- because I don't like them and wish that I could just forget about them- of really random, strange and immoral things which I can dwell on for days. I think that this is the worst part of the the anxiety/ OCD because it makes me think I'm a horrible person or a psycho sometimes. I'll list afew of the ones now that have been bothering me recently

Sweating- I've noticed that I've been sweating more and think that I have an illness

Being gay- I've tried accepting that it's okay to be gay but now it's coming back as a fear ando if I see a woman on TV or somewhere I think if I am attracted to her. It's so annoying and dehibilitating sometimes

Being attracted to my brother/ brother-in-law- I don't know when this started but I wish I could just forget about it because it always springs to my mind when I see then and makes me feel like a horrible person.

Trying new things- this isn't so much a thought but I get so anxious at trying new things because of a fear of the unknown I guess.

Whether I have OCD- I try to analyse my odd thoughts and see what it fits because I feel like the only person who dwells on these types of thoughts.

I'm sorry this became really long but I really want to know what you think. I hide most of these thoughts from my family because I don't feel like I could confide in them because I'm scared they'd judge me. As well I don't know if these are compulsions or not but for example on a weekday when I have school, I'll check that I have bus money in my pocket about 10 times before I go.

Thanks for reading! By the way I'm a 16 year old female and I really want to live a normal life again. I'd be thankful for any reply :)

Fishmanpa
21-12-15, 13:18
At 16, you're quite young and it's not unusual to question some of things you're questioning. As to whether this is OCD or anxiety or some combination, no one here is truly qualified to answer that question. That's for a mental health professional to decide. Perhaps you can speak with a trusted adult or a school counselor and get some help in sorting out these thoughts.

Positive thoughts

Chocolateface
21-12-15, 21:14
Hi

I would say at 16 you are starting to be more aware of people around you, ready to start relationships etc. There is nothing wrong with looking at a woman and finding her attractive, it does not mean you are gay just that you have noticed what you find visually attractive.

With regards to your feelings for your brother you are probably now seeing him as a person not just your brother.

Fear of the unknown is normal try not to dwell on it and look at the positive things that can come from it.

I also check loads of times that I have things and it is one of my quirks.

Try to relax more and go with it.

Clare

uru
21-12-15, 21:37
At 16 your hormones are insane. Jesus I remember that period. I would've humped a tree if it had suggestive enough bumps.

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-15, 23:05
OCD traits are seen in many people workout anxiety disorders and many who with them even when they aren't diagnosed with OCD. Its said that children commonly exhibit them but grow out of them.

OCD is diagnosed not in these traits for this reason but on whether they are significantly affecting your life enough to warrant a diagnosis.

You have shown quite a few Pure O themes in your threads before so I believe it is likely you suffer from OCD as these themes seem to impact on your mental health.

Fishmanpa
22-12-15, 00:04
At 16 your hormones are insane. Jesus I remember that period. I would've humped a tree if it had suggestive enough bumps.

:roflmao: Now that's funny right there!

Positive thoughts