PDA

View Full Version : Fear of cold sores/herpes

songbird717
21-12-15, 22:01
Ok, so I've always had a fear of cold sores/herpes, but due to a potential exposure I've been freaking out and obsessing to a point where over the past day or so it's really been effecting my ability to function and be productive. I feel so hopeless and depressed. Something about the non-curable nature freaks me out and makes me feel like it's all over for me, even though I don't even have one (yet). I know that oral herpes/cold sores are very common and I know that most people are exposed to the virus at a very young age and most never develop symptoms, but lately I've become obsessed with the fact that I may have been exposed. I'm 29 years old and am going through a divorce. I have this horrible fear that I will contract cold sores now and it will make being single really complicated for me. I know that this is not really a huge deal because so many people get them, but it really scares me.

So I am a performing artist and 10 days ago in the last production I was in, there was a scene where my scene partner has a drink of water on stage. I was feeling really dry so I decided to drink from her glass before my number (about 2 minutes after she drank from the glass). I've always been freaked out about cold sores and sharing glasses, so I made a point to turn the glass so I was drinking from the side that did not have her very obvious lipstick marks.

2 days later, she developed a cold sore under her nose and since then, I've been obsessed with the fear that she might have spread it to me. It's like my worst fear came true! (I mean that's why I turned the glass and didn't drink from her side, but maybe some saliva got in the water!) I can't seem to find consistent info online either. Some sources say that the virus dies after 10 second in open air, some says that it can be spread on glasses and can live for up to 4 hours. I've been feeling tingling and itching and burning all around my lips for days, but that could be because I read about that and now I'm manifesting those symptoms. I examine every little spot or discoloration a million times a day. Today I had a spot near the bottom outline of my lip that looked a little redder than the rest (I may have been subconsciously chewing on it but I don't know), so I kept examining it and freaking out. Now it looks fine, but I keep focusing my mind on the spot and I feel like it's tingling and burning. I'm so scared.

I know that in the big scheme of things, this is not a big deal. By 29 years old, I'm sure I've come in contact with the virus before. My grandmother and my cousins get cold sores and if it's as easy to contract while you're young and your immune system isn't as strong, I'm sure this isn't the first time I could have been exposed. I'm so scared though.

Fishmanpa
21-12-15, 22:30
I know that in the big scheme of things, this is not a big deal. By 29 years old, I'm sure I've come in contact with the virus before.

With a conservative estimate that more than half the world population has HSV1, HSV2 or a combination, as you said, you've probably been exposed more times than you may imagine. In fact, there are a significant number of people that have the virus and never exhibit any symptoms at all. How a person reacts to it is totally dependent on the individual.

The scenario you present is highly unlikely as you have to come in contact with an open lesion and shedding of the virus prior to an outbreak makes it even more unlikely. And even if you end up having it or getting it? Pffft... while it's somewhat uncomfortable for a couple of days, as you said, it's no big deal in the big scheme of things.

Positive thoughts

AFin26
22-12-15, 10:32
HSV 1 and 2 is so wide spread its estimated that 1 in 10 people in the street have some type of it. Whether it be Oral or Genital.

Yes its scary 'non curable' but that doesn't really mean anything!

Try not worry, it's no biggie :)

jimsmrs
22-12-15, 14:05
I''ve got one at the moment and hate the hideous things!!!! I'm in my late 50's and have had the occasional breakouts since I was about 12, I've been told, don't know how true it is though, that's it's a sign you're run down a little.

countrygirl
22-03-16, 17:44
Really, I don't know anyone who has ever heard of anyone being cured of herpes virus as it lays dormant in nerve endings like chickenpox does and then gets reactivated into the lesion/rash.

You only catch the virus from a weeping lesion, I know when I first caught it at 17 years old and I kissed a lad with a "sore" on his lip. Two weeks later I had it and the first one is always the worst.

Cold wind, hot sunshine and being ill or run down causes breakouts.

Most people only get very rare outbreaks and although not great to look at they are no big deal.

I have a light therapy device that if used at first tingle stops the sore developing and even if used later heals it up in days rather than the two weeks it normally takes.

I have even had one on my gum when I was super stressed a few years ago - now thats painful!

Fishmanpa
22-03-16, 18:07
You should not worry by the herpes on the lips or genital herpes because a British doctor discovered a cure for herpes that permanently removes the virus from your body in less than 60 days. :)

You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true? If you believe that, I have an ATM card with your name on it and $15 million in funds. I'll just need a $150 processing fee to get it to you ;)

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
22-03-16, 18:57
You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true? If you believe that, I have an ATM card with your name on it and $15 million in funds. I'll just need a $150 processing fee to get it to you ;)

Positive thoughts

:D:D:D:D well said!