PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea & Anxiety

shelzmike
22-12-15, 06:23
So, I am in a place in my "journey" with my anxiety, panic, and agoraphobia (15+ years) where I feel I am slipping for a lot of reasons and don't want to get to that point again - it is horrible feeling out of control. I am combining some thing that have worked in the past as well as trying to finally add in some other, perhaps more homeopathic, methods as well. I also have IBS, GERD, among some other things. I feel they are probably all related but I want to do some simple things to help myself. Doesn't hurt to try, huh?

I will also say that I have a phobia (slight) of trying new things, especially herbs, substance, etc., including most new foods.

So, I was watching a show the other day and there was a doctor on there raving of the benefits of green tea. After some research and case study reviews, I decided it couldn't hurt. Plus, I drink quite a bit of soda a day. No tea or coffee, but I also do drink a lot of water as well. I want to get off the soda, but know I can't do it cold turkey. My main issue is with the sugar, with a secondary understanding that the caffeine probably doesn't help my anxiety that much :)

So, I bought some and brewed it according to directions and started drinking it. I drank it straight, no sugar, milk, etc. I though it would be pretty gross, but it was actually REALLY good. And, the warmth was soothing a bit. Then, as these things go, my anxious brain started its stupid cycle. Hot coffee makes my anxiety shoot way up (most likely the caffeine) so I haven't drank it in a decade, unfortunately. I kept thinking, what if I have a bad reaction to it (have drank cold green tea in the past with no issues btw).

So, as I shouldn't have, I started casually browsing the net for more info on green tea. I noticed that it said that people who have anxiety shouldnt drink it, but never really said why. I am assuming this means bc of the caffeine (and that it may affect the effectiveness of xanax, which I take a small dose daily of - but I assume this is also due to the caffeine).

If this was the case though, there is about the same amount of caffeine in green tea as in the dr. pepper I drink daily, a little less actually. However, I don't drink an entire can or bottle of dr. pepper in 30 minutes time, like I would the tea. So then I started getting anxious and derealization going on, shaky, etc. Ultimately, I didn't have any panic attacks and enjoyed the drink itself and think that my anxiety was the anxiety itself and not the tea itself.

So on that note, anyone drink green tea or have any thoughts?

Mike

uru
22-12-15, 06:53
I used to drink a lot.

It's fine. You're not supposed to use milk and sugar.

I basically think it's just a drink like any other drink. Unfortunately western woo merchants have attached all these incredible powers and associations to it.

It cites cancer
It stops anxiety
It is natural and healthy
It's calming
Etc etc

It's just a drink. It's like any other tea. Just because they drink it in China doesn't mean anything.

hanshan
22-12-15, 10:07
Hi Shelzmike,

I drink tea - both green tea and red tea (the kind mostly found in Western countries). They both come from the same plant and have the same properties, although taste different due to different treatment after picking.

I find tea quite calming with a cup or two - no problems from the caffeine. I believe all tea contains theanine, which is a natural amino acid thought to help reduce anxiety.

Add up how much caffeine you are already drinking each day via soda - trying to reduce that amount abruptly may itself trigger anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-15, 11:49
Green tea contains less caffeine than black tea, the normal kind. So, if people are saying to avoid green tea, they must mean avoid caffeine completely. This tends to be general guidance withy anxiety anyway but it's an individual issue. I know at my worse even drinking water sent my anxiety and you know thats because of my thougth process and how sensitive I was to any change in bodily sensations. You've already identified this in yourself by understanding the caffeine levels are similiar to things you are used to.

Perhaps repetition is key here? New things mean change & uncertainty. You are very clued up on anxiety & panic so I'm sure you have already considered this.

debs71
26-12-15, 13:15
I have been drinking green tea for many years now, as it is known to be a great antioxidant, and has (apparently) numerous other health benefits.

I drink it with honey as I find it sweetens the sometimes bitter taste of it.

As far as anxiety goes, I tend to avoid GT when my GAD/panic attacks are heightened again, as any caffeine is not a good thing for anxiety, but GT is not the worst caffeine in the world.....I avoid coffee more so, as that is a nightmare for anxiety.

My best recommendation for anxiety is chamomile tea. It is fantastic and very soothing and calming.

almamatters
29-12-15, 16:37
I am going to try this again with honey, I read it has a calming effect and tried it but couldn't stand the taste.

debs71
29-12-15, 18:01
I can certainly recommend it with a spoonful of honey, alma.

I also found it not too tasty, but the honey does soften it a bit, lol. xxx:hugs:

benjanxious
14-01-16, 11:53
I think because you've been off coffee and tea it might be a shock to the system, especially if you're drinking it as well as soda. I'd suggest maybe upping the green tea and lowering the soda. It's really good for you & a lot better than soda.