PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea/Anxiety/Asthma?

AnxiousLife
22-12-15, 18:52
Hello!

I have a question for those of you who deal with asthma and/or sleep apnea. I am questioning whether or not I should have a sleep study. For about a year, I have occasionally awoken either gasping for a breath, or consciously knowing I was holding my breath. I was diagnosed with asthma, but because steroids do not agree with me, we have just started trying an older medication called cromolyn through a nebulizer. It's only been a couple days, so I haven't noticed a difference.

Anyway, I find that my breathing gets very shallow when I am tired and my oxygen level drops a bit (noticed this when I was in the hospital one evening, but no one said anything)- and the breath holding is very bad if I'm trying to take a nap. I am wondering if this is an asthma symptom, related to anxiety, or sleep apnea?? I'm almost 30, not overweight, nor do I snore...so if it is apnea, I'm a bit worried as I hear central apnea usually comes from another underlying condition.

Thanks for your input!

LouiseHannah
21-03-16, 12:46
From the little I know about sleep apnea don't you wake up suddenly choking? When I'm unwell my asthma wakes me up a lot in the night. I'm not a doctor so if this is a worry go to the doctor and I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you further