PDA

View Full Version : Severe Panic Attack

MayaH
22-12-15, 21:57
I have panic attacks quite regularly sand just wanted to get some advice. I had a panic attack today and was wondering if anyone had any advice/experience. These are the symptoms that I had:

-No racing heart
-Loads of disassociation (derealisation)
-Hyperventilating severely
-Feeling sick (the attack started with feeling sick which very rarely happens)
-My chest felt very tight as though I couldn't breathe air in
-Feeling hot all over (I had to take my hoodie off)
-Feeling weak and very unsteady
-Feeling dizzy, as though I could potentially have fainted
-Flashes of light in front of my eyes with the hyperventilation and disassociation getting worse and worse during the attack.
-The most severe symptoms of the attack were the disassociation and the hyperventilation. The disassociation is what distresses me the most and then this in turn creates more hyperventilation.

During other attacks I've had various symptoms such as:
-Crying uncontrollably - this then makes my breathing worse and the attack intensifies.
-Shaking or trembling uncontrollably (this happens less often, the crying or nearly crying during a lot of them)
-Feeling sick (as though I could be physically sick although this feeling has only happened once or twice).
-Feeling as though I am very close to fainting - I've felt like I could have come close on a few occasions.

The only thing that seems to help is having a friend hold me tightly during the attack - either cuddling me or holding my hand - and talking to me softly and clearly and helping me to breathe. I've had one where a friend was so concerned that they got a paramedic to come and be with us because I was shaking so violently and disassociating so badly I couldn't respond (the disassociation and not being able to respond always happens during evry single attack though).
Has anyone else had experiences like this at all?

M

ankietyjoe
22-12-15, 22:45

Yup, all of it.

It's quite 'normal' for panic attacks to have these symptoms.

The best thing to do is just let it happen until it passes and not dwell on the symptoms or what they mean. They always go in the end :)

Linda 10
23-12-15, 16:27
I also struggle with panic attacks and I find that I constantly shallow breath and that makes my panic stronger wish I could just breath normally.
Linda10 merry xmas

angels22165
23-12-15, 18:16
Hi yes I suffer all of the same symptoms too - like previous poster said just try and let the symptoms run there course - they always do, it is hard but distraction I think is the best key - play a game on your phone and you will feel the symptoms ease, you will feel worn out after the effects of anxiety have run their course. Just remember that you are strong and you will not let the anxiety control you..

What is normal breathing, I'm not sure linda - in the midst of a panic attack I try and control my breathing but this seems to make it worse - my key is distraction until I feel okay again to carry on... They say in 4 through your nose then out 6 through lips - what do you do? Xx

RFDC
23-12-15, 21:24
I have panic attacks quite regularly sand just wanted to get some advice. I had a panic attack today and was wondering if anyone had any advice/experience. These are the symptoms that I had:

-No racing heart
-Loads of disassociation (derealisation)
-Hyperventilating severely
-Feeling sick (the attack started with feeling sick which very rarely happens)
-My chest felt very tight as though I couldn't breathe air in
-Feeling hot all over (I had to take my hoodie off)
-Feeling weak and very unsteady
-Feeling dizzy, as though I could potentially have fainted
-Flashes of light in front of my eyes with the hyperventilation and disassociation getting worse and worse during the attack.
-The most severe symptoms of the attack were the disassociation and the hyperventilation. The disassociation is what distresses me the most and then this in turn creates more hyperventilation.

During other attacks I've had various symptoms such as:
-Crying uncontrollably - this then makes my breathing worse and the attack intensifies.
-Shaking or trembling uncontrollably (this happens less often, the crying or nearly crying during a lot of them)
-Feeling sick (as though I could be physically sick although this feeling has only happened once or twice).
-Feeling as though I am very close to fainting - I've felt like I could have come close on a few occasions.

The only thing that seems to help is having a friend hold me tightly during the attack - either cuddling me or holding my hand - and talking to me softly and clearly and helping me to breathe. I've had one where a friend was so concerned that they got a paramedic to come and be with us because I was shaking so violently and disassociating so badly I couldn't respond (the disassociation and not being able to respond always happens during evry single attack though).

M

My daughter who has had panic disorder for 2 years has experienced many of these exact symptoms.

Her attacks usually start with her shaking and hyperventilating, then she starts crying uncontrollably, at times she has also screamed and fought people as they try to console her. She is pretty much out of it in these attacks and usually remembers nothing after they start up until she starts coming out of it.

We have had paramedics come up during these or have people ask if they can call 911 because they are so intense. Usually if I can get a hold of her and embrace her and talk to her she will start to calm down rather quickly.

Sambam8917
01-01-16, 19:47
I have had this also before derealistaion where everything doesn't feel real it didn't help that my medication had that as a side affect I now only get it now and again as part of my panic attacks