PDA

View Full Version : Normal padable lymph nodes

Beauch22
23-12-15, 01:39
What size can normal lymph nodes be and can they be padable and normal. Some many sites say different, have about ten all under 1 cm minus one that I can feel

Fishmanpa
23-12-15, 01:56
Nodes are your "fear du jour" Beauch22

Nodes can be up to 2cm in size and be normal. Being a Head and Neck Cancer survivor, what I say comes from some of the most prominent oncologists in the US! I had two nodes removed from my neck over 5cm in size! It looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck prior to surgery!

There's no way you can accurately mesure size unless you're a medical professional. That being said, based on self examination and what I surmise is your measuring stick, including your post history.... You've poked and prodded yourself to obsessive levels, made many normal nodes swell and even become shotty and have a self perceived analysis that you have something seriously wrong when in fact you're fine.

For what it's worth. Stop the self examination and consulting Dr Google and get help with the real illness... Anxiety.

Hope you have a great Christmas holiday and a happy and already healthy New Year.

Positive thoughts

almamatters
23-12-15, 18:58
I have 6 swollen nodes ranging from 1cm to 2.5cm behind my ear and side of neck. Three were found on an MRI scan and although they were called 'reactive nodes' they are still classed as not sinister.

Njoy704
23-12-15, 21:38
Nodes are your "fear du jour" Beauch22

Nodes can be up to 2cm in size and be normal. Being a Head and Neck Cancer survivor, what I say comes from some of the most prominent oncologists in the US! I had two nodes removed from my neck over 5cm in size! It looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck prior to surgery!

There's no way you can accurately mesure size unless you're a medical professional. That being said, based on self examination and what I surmise is your measuring stick, including your post history.... You've poked and prodded yourself to obsessive levels, made many normal nodes swell and even become shotty and have a self perceived analysis that you have something seriously wrong when in fact you're fine.

For what it's worth. Stop the self examination and consulting Dr Google and get help with the real illness... Anxiety.

Hope you have a great Christmas holiday and a happy and already healthy New Year.

Positive thoughts

Can poking and prodding your lymph nodes really make them swell?? Why is that? I thought only an infection can cause them to swell.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

I have 6 swollen nodes ranging from 1cm to 2.5cm behind my ear and side of neck. Three were found on an MRI scan and although they were called 'reactive nodes' they are still classed as not sinister.

Cannibal what kind of mri you had? I had a cervical spine mri and I asked about if they saw any swollen lymph nodes and they told me they can't see that with a cervical spine mri and I'd have to get a soft tissue mri of the neck... just wondering if you had a cervical spine mri done that saw your lymph nodes.

Fishmanpa
23-12-15, 21:47
Can poking and prodding your lymph nodes really make them swell?? Why is that? I thought only an infection can cause them to swell.

Absolutely! Why? Simple really. Think about this. If I were to poke your arm in the same spot over and over and over, eventually you would develop a bruise or a sore spot, maybe even swelling. That's what poking and prodding your nodes can do. They are reacting to a continuous action and being under constant attack is not unlike an infection or virus. They can even become "shotty" (permanently swollen) if you poke and prod enough.

Positive thoughts

Njoy704
25-12-15, 01:49
Absolutely! Why? Simple really. Think about this. If I were to poke your arm in the same spot over and over and over, eventually you would develop a bruise or a sore spot, maybe even swelling. That's what poking and prodding your nodes can do. They are reacting to a continuous action and being under constant attack is not unlike an infection or virus. They can even become "shotty" (permanently swollen) if you poke and prod enough. Positive thoughts

Well that makes a lot of sense. I have to try to stop touching my lymph nodes in my neck. I keep thinking g they're swollen , but no one else thinks they are. And I guess the more I fiddle around with them the more they get irritated and swell. Thanks for the information.

almamatters
25-12-15, 14:32

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Cannibal what kind of mri you had? I had a cervical spine mri and I asked about if they saw any swollen lymph nodes and they told me they can't see that with a cervical spine mri and I'd have to get a soft tissue mri of the neck... just wondering if you had a cervical spine mri done that saw your lymph nodes.

I had a head neck and upper chest MRI and they definitely saw my nodes. They were classed as bilateral and reactive. I'm not sure about a soft tissue MRI as I was told that the MRI I was having would see them.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

I made mine sore and enlarged from constantly pressing and prodding them, they have gone down a bit now I leave them alone.