PDA

View Full Version : Is GAD always caused by worry?

Ssmith
24-12-15, 18:27
Hi guys,

I'm currently going through a very severe acute phase of anxiety that I've had for a few months now. Whilst I'm in this acute phase, I've tried to read more on the subject of GAD which says to work on the worry. The only problem is, i don't have any worry at the moment that contributes to this. To put it simply, i have severe anxiety all day for absolutely no reason.

I was wondering is this normal or am i some kind of one off case? Is this only treatable by medication until the acute phase is over?

uru
26-12-15, 04:28
What does 'work on the worry' mean?

So you worry but you don't know what you're worried about?

Ssmith
26-12-15, 09:16
I was reading a book about GAD that said in order to get better, you need you work on all the irrational worrying you do in order to feel better.

The only thing I seem to worry about is not getting better, feeling pretty bad, not getting the appropriate help, etc.

The definition of GAD seems to be excessive worry about everything. Yet i don't seem to worry about everything and am in a 24/7 constant anxiety state

angels22165
26-12-15, 09:28
This is what GAD is I'm the same have nothing to worry about just feel anxious all of the time - if there was something to worry about then could actually work on it, but to have nothing to worry about is hard to break x

Ssmith
26-12-15, 10:06
How are you able to treat it? Currently been having an acute episode for 4 months now which is still very severe and is making me pretty much housebound. Seen doctors a lot but all they've done is refer me to IAPT and given me diazepam. Tried all the SSRI's over the years to no avail.

If it's not reacting to SSRI's, and i have nothing to worry about but I'm still always anxious, how am i ever going to get rid of this?

angels22165
26-12-15, 10:30
I'm not sure on that one too, I'm just the same - I've also tried many different anti d's over the years, been okay for a while then had a blip. GP started me on Amitriptyline now and seeing the mental health team in two weeks time so hopefully will get some answers then to this.

I Am quite a strong willed person and always try and see the best side of things and think positively but this does prove hard when like you say what is there to feel anxious about when you have no worries.

pulisa
26-12-15, 11:46
I think this is an anxiety state and there doesn't have to be anything to worry about, your brain is just set on a fight or flight mode. It is very hard to deal with especially when it doesn't make sense which adds to the frustration.

I think talking about it helps though? Especially to people who know what it's like and haven't just read up on it. Which is the problem with a lot of mental health professionals-they might know all the right things to say but in real life it's very different.

Ssmith
26-12-15, 13:30
It's just really starting to annoy me how i can't do anything at the moment apart from the simplest of tasks. I've read the older style meds are usually better for this and that GAD is also very treatable, but getting the treatment seems like a battle in itself. In 4 months of this acute episode, i feel like I've got absolutely nowhere with the NHS. Feeling very stuck in getting better and not quite sure what to do. Can IAPT refer me to a psychiatrist?

MyNameIsTerry
27-12-15, 04:01
GAD is often perceiving as a general state of worry i.e. you worry about many different things. If you actually read the WHO diagnostic manual it's slightly different to what you often read on the internet and one of the symptoms is constant unease/nervousness and this is really what I perceive GAD to be about - 24/7 non stop lower level (than panic) with escalations and there doesn't have to be any trigger.

Like pulisa says, an anxious state that just stays on. I've seen it compared to a thermostat that becomes set to a higher level so that it still increases due to triggers but only ever returns to the new preset which is higher than your pre-anxiety one. That makes sense to me although this can be reduced, epigenetics alones explains this and so too do the people that tend to use this preset metaphor.

---------- Post added at 04:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

I was reading a book about GAD that said in order to get better, you need you work on all the irrational worrying you do in order to feel better.

That's true of ALL anxiety disorder without exception. But it's not the only thing needed and you can challenge & rationalise all you want but a big part of GAD recovery is about learning to relax again and being able to apply it when confronted with stress.

Do you worry about how you feel with your GAD? Are you symptom focussed? So, if you wake up and feel the anxiety, you focus on it? That's part of GAD and working on those thoughts is part of moving forward, it's not necessarily worry but focussing on symptoms.

pulisa
27-12-15, 08:56
For me the way I react to these symptoms has been counterproductive so I know that I need to work on this area to keep my anxiety at a tolerable level.

hanshan
27-12-15, 09:54
My take on GAD is that the anxiety actually comes from nowhere, but then the brain searches around for a suitable 'cause'. But if you are feeling anxiety for no specific reason, I would think that's still a form of GAD.

My meds are pregabalin and mirtazapine, and they've been very helpful for me.

Ssmith
27-12-15, 11:44
At the moment, I'm just waiting and waiting to see doctors and I'm not on any effective medications. Is there anything i can do myself to try and feel better. Finding it so hard at the moment and the depression seems to be getting worse as well. Made it through Christmas though thank God!

hanshan
28-12-15, 10:39
I have to say that reading about anxiety may have the reverse effect and make you more anxious. I think good meds will be a start when you can get to see a decent doctor. Apart from that, relaxation and meditation are worth a try in a calming environment. I find music relaxing - I almost always have some playing, and a good book can help take you into an anxiety-free place.

uru
28-12-15, 12:23
My take on GAD is that the anxiety actually comes from nowhere, but then the brain searches around for a suitable 'cause'. But if you are feeling anxiety for no specific reason, I would think that's still a form of GAD.

My meds are pregabalin and mirtazapine, and they've been very helpful for me.

This is what I think too.:noangel:

Ssmith
28-12-15, 20:18
Is it possible to fully recover from GAD if it happens for no reason?

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-15, 20:22
I have to say that reading about anxiety may have the reverse effect and make you more anxious.

I think it depends on the disorder but some level of education is needed in all. In OCD this is key because the themes can seem so unlike anxiety and assumed to be a more serious personality issue.

It's still all balance though and excessive research can become a problem.