PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about Claire Weekes?

Ryukil
24-12-15, 19:31
Im wondering about how to apply Claire Weekes to GAD

uru
28-12-15, 22:50
I just got her book...not sure yet.

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-15, 23:02
You are going to need a member like JonJones for something like this.

lindadiana
28-12-15, 23:28
I bought self help for your nerves by clarie weeks,way back in the late 80s,i must say I read it over and over and it really did help,ive also listened to her tapes on here.i had never heard her voice before,she basically says as they all do, the cure is in yourself,lose the fear and it will over time ease off,fear is what keeps us afraid,and she reminds us that we are brave not cowards in other words ,and she knows we have been struggling with what is really just adrenaline,brought on by fear,everyone gets adrenaline rushes when needed but when they come from a thought that goes on and on until your worn out and its like you have been running a marathon over and over again its no wonder we feel like we do,as with all books, tapes, therapy,if its panic attacks you really do have to learn to lose the fear,dont run from it but bath in it,ive tried this many times and it has worked for many situations ive been in,n my younger years I remember sitting rocking myself for a whole year fripped with fear,panic attack after panic attack,after reading Claire weeks I did master the art of floating let it pass,and I did recover very well from what I was like at the timebut its never ever worked for me to go out alone,im not that brave,still to this day I apply her pattern of thoughts to keep the panic attacks away,or getting out of hand,but as with having health anxiety it rears its ugly head again,although im very depressed with my lifes situation,(which I know from past experience,if I had a partner it would go away the depression)i can help myself with panic attacks fairly well,about 6 months ago I got really bad sciatica,lookedit up saw a dr who said yes that's what it is,tried really hard to keep going but had to just stop as I could hardly stand up,thats when I got really scared and the panic attacks came back with a vengeance,ive stayed off my feet outside and just pottered around the house to try and get it better,its just starting to be where I can stand uprigt again with a ew nigly pains ive been out 4 times now and it barable again,my panic attacks have started to subside,so clearly the thoughts I was having brought on the anxiety,then the panic attacks followed,but like I said I did what ive done since the 80s Claire weeks words stick in my mind,and in getting ack to where I was,just so very depressed now

jadedreams
29-12-15, 16:04
Hello, yes I've got her book Hope and Help for your Nerves. Really like it and it does explain many symptoms pretty well. Book has been around a while so the language is a bit old fashioned but I think it still applies. I've also listed to her audio series as well. Her main thing is face, accept, float and let time pass. For me the facing/accepting is to recognize I have anxiety and that is what is causing my symptoms. Yes the symptoms suck, but if you can learn not to be afraid of them then you will have a good start in getting better. I am working on this myself, getting a little better at the moment. The main thing to remember is that anxiety itself can't hurt you, that's been my sticking point as I have intrusive thoughts when my anxiety increases. I still have some fear with the intrusive thoughts so I end up fearing the anxiety.

Floating I think of allowing the anxiety to be there but to float through it, you might think of it as riding a wave (surfing) or floating on a cloud. Just acknowledge the anxiety is there, but continue on with what you need/want to do. This has helped me when my anxiety hits when I am going to a store or something. Allowing time to pass is a hard one, but as she explains we are currently over sensitive due to our pattern of anxiety and it will take a bit for our nerves to calm down once we quit struggling against it or fearing it so much.

Hope that helps some. I am still a work in progress myself, but I had a better day yesterday and so far today it is better too. Really trying to apply these principles. And also my therapist has told me to say "bring it, I've got this" when anxiety hits and work on not shrinking in fear from it. I know it's hard to do, but this appeals to my stubborn streak that doesn't want to give in to it anymore.