PDA

View Full Version : First Christmas with gad

TomsThoughts
25-12-15, 14:58
So this is my first Christmas with anxiety and I got to admit I'm feeling kinda blue and choked up i don't really know why I have my worries but for some reason it all just seems over whelming and I can't help but think I need to breakdown in tears

Carnation
25-12-15, 15:47
Hi Tom,

Christmas is a very testing time when suffering from Anxiety.
We mostly, just try to get through it.
It also brings out many emotions and it IS ok to cry, it is better than keeping it all bottled up.
I normally try to keep myself occupied with lots of games, films and pacing around the house. :D
Maybe if your watch a weepy film, you can blame the tears on that ; if you have company?
Sometimes I also take time out to lie on my bed and close my eyes and think of the warm sunshine and a place I would rather be. Playing some music helps too.
Hope you get through the day with not too much heartache. :hugs:

Istherehope?
25-12-15, 17:21
Hi...my first Christmas with anxiety too...not easy when everything seems to be saying what a wonderful time we should be having.

You're not alone, and this place seems to have lots of kind understanding people.

Cheering you on through a tough day x

TomsThoughts
25-12-15, 18:06
Thank you so much guys i LOVE the idea of watching a soppy film I'm meeting up with my girlfriend later so I will most definitely watch one.

I'm feeling much better now guys x

Randara
25-12-15, 18:19
Glad you're feeling better! It's the same for me, my first Christmas with anxiety and low mood.

It's been a difficult day and I've felt like crying a fair bit, especially as I'm on the other side of the country to my boyfriend. But, my family have been pretty good at distracting me! My cousin bought me a mandala colouring book so we've been doing those.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day! :)

TomsThoughts
25-12-15, 21:40
Thank you randara.

I love those books my mum got me one not long along ago.

I hope you had a great day/night randara and I hope your boyfriend gets his ass in gear and comes to see you! Haha. Being with your partner really does help.

gregcool
25-12-15, 22:20
Sorry to hear that Tom..i realy hope you feel better soon mate and hope the rest of your christmas gets better soon

TomsThoughts
26-12-15, 11:50
Cheers gregcool I get pretty anxious when off work as well because I don't have much to do and it gets harder to ignore anxiety. I should really find myself a hobby *sigh*

Randara
27-12-15, 01:05
Thanks Tom! I'm going back home on Monday so get to see him then, that's spurring me on at the moment!

Hope you've enjoyed Boxing Day as well. I get the same when I'm off work, try and get out of the house and go on some walks if possible or try reading your favourite book again.

MyNameIsTerry
27-12-15, 03:35
You will find a lot of us are like about work, Tom. Work fills a large amount of our lives and I can tell you from experience that anxiety feels worse for having all the extra time that not working brings so bank holidays, normal holiday time and even weekends can bring on anxiety alone due to being forced to face our anxiety. Certainly in GAD you feel this way about having all that time to experience it with less distraction but another lesson I have learnt is that is you pour yourself into work because of this, it's really a trick because it's actually avoidance - doing something to avoid experiencing the fear. I did that and ended up working up to 7 days a week at some points.

Try to accept this is just how things are now and they do not mean they will always be this way. It's disheartening to lose time to these disorders but fighting with yourself over that just brings more negative thinking.