PDA

View Full Version : Some blood in stool (not hemmie) and chronic diarrhea. Any thoughts?

Solidsimpson
25-12-15, 16:36
Hello!

This is an amazing forum. This is my first post though.

I am a 26 year old male. Basically, for the past 6 months I've had diarrhea like bowel movements a majority of the time. Going on average 2 times a day. Doctors assumed it was Mild IBS.

Over the past month there has been some blood involved. Not that much but enough to warrant concern. Doctor checked and found occult blood so it's coming from somewhere.

I am getting a colonoscopy next week but I'm very concerned still. There hasn't been any mucus and I haven't had any other symptom except for a dull ache on my lower left side sometimes.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

rbm
25-12-15, 21:56
I would say it's just the effect of ibs, it has been working overtime la5ely, the colonoscopy will tell you everything.if it were serious, there would be other symptoms involved, like headaches, loosing weight, temp spiking.i say don't worry.

Solidsimpson
25-12-15, 22:23
Thanks! Everyone tells me that IBS doesn't cause bleeding though. No IBS medicine worked on me either so I'm wondering if it's ulcerative colitis.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-15, 10:55
IBS certainly can cause bleeding - because of the frequency and potentially even straining. As a hemorrhoid sufferer of nearly 20 years I can tell you even this causes blood.

So, your GP may just want to rule things out but he/she is doing the right thing. I even had a sigmoidoscopy early on "just in case" (years before my anxiety started) and that was just to confirm the suspicion it was nothing more.

Solidsimpson
26-12-15, 14:45
Thanks! But what actually caused your bleeding? A hemmoroid?

I know mine is not hemmoroid related.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-15, 17:09
It would have been straining, wiping and frequency.

I just wanted to let you know that IBS can cause blood in some way because I don't have IBS but have an issue that many people with IBS can develop which can lead to it later.

There are other things like fissures that cause bleeding according to others in here who have had them.

So, the point Is to not jump to any conclusions as people with anxiety often focus on the worst things they could get and tune out all the minor ones that are now likely.

Solidsimpson
26-12-15, 17:19
Thanks again for the reply!

The blood seems mixed into the stool. There is no pain or else I would think it could be a fissure.

Would be amazing if it's somehow just IBS related but I'm just not sure and my colon Doctor doesn't think so either. Idk what could bleed from straining besides a hemmoroid.

I am really hoping he just tells me to add a lot of fiber to my diet after the colonoscopy but I really am thinking it's an IBD. Ugh.

Reeno911
29-12-15, 16:07
Update us after your colonoscopy to see how it went

Solidsimpson
29-12-15, 16:16
Will do!

I talked to the GI yesterday and they made it seem like there's lots of things this could be that are not serious. I'm expecting a mile UC just in case though. Stress and anxiety has been far worse than the actual symptoms.

My scope is early next week!

Solidsimpson
04-01-16, 18:24
Colonoscopy done!

NO ulcerative colitis or Crohns. Looks like it may have been food poisoning months ago that hasn't gone away. Prescribed a lot of fiber !

Reeno911
08-01-16, 01:52
Wow so it was nothing at all

Was the blood explained after all?

Solidsimpson
08-01-16, 03:15
Wow so it was nothing at all

Was the blood explained after all?

So it's a little confusing now. Colonoscopy showed a very mild irritation which causes the blood. Doctor told me it was probably from an infection and will go away at some point. Biopsy revealed that there were some granulomas which is common in Crohn's disease but could also just be reflective of the infection.

Doctor wanted me to do an upper endoscopy so he can look more at my small intestine which I did today. Small intestine looked good. He is confident I don't have Crohns. Hopefully this will go away fairly soon. Antibiotics could make all this worse so that's why we are waiting.