PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do about myself

manwithnoname
26-12-15, 18:41
Hi, I have been suffering from GAD since I was about 19 years old and I am now 53 and I have still got it - I just wonder if there is any point in going on

cjemc
26-12-15, 21:53
Hi, I have been suffering from GAD since I was about 19 years old and I am now 53 and I have still got it - I just wonder if there is any point in going on

Hi. What was/is the cause of your GAD and why has it got so bad that you wonder if there is any point going on?

Ssmith
27-12-15, 00:08
Yes, there is definitely a point in carrying on. First off, are you having any treatment or had any treatment for your GAD? If so, have you exhausted literally every single possible thing that could potentially help lessen your suffering?

I've felt like you and to be honest, am feeling it now. Going through a very rough patch with anxiety and depression. But I'm not going to give in to it. Why should i? Why should i let something like this dictate my life? You say you've had it since you were 19 and you're now in your 50's. So something has made you carry on and fight this. No matter how little hope you have or even if you don't have any, you will get through this, we both will.

Keep at it with treatment if you're under going any. If you haven't found anything that works, keep going, you will find something. If you're not in treatment, get yourself to the GP's as a first port of call. You deserve to be well as much as anybody else.

manwithnoname
27-12-15, 12:53
so what is the point in carrying on? Death seems so seductive to me, no more misery, no more anxiety, no more carrying around hurt feelings - what's not to like?

cjemc
27-12-15, 13:44
so what is the point in carrying on? Death seems so seductive to me, no more misery, no more anxiety, no more carrying around hurt feelings - what's not to like?

Why do you feel so bad though? Why are you feeling like this? Has something bad happened recently or is it just general stress?

manwithnoname
27-12-15, 13:50
I feel I have nothing left to live for, no job, no meaning, nothingness and void

cjemc
27-12-15, 14:33
I feel I have nothing left to live for, no job, no meaning, nothingness and void

Are you without a job because of your GAD?

Ssmith
27-12-15, 15:25
I'm 25. I've currently had the worst year I've ever had. Lost my long term gf, lost my flat and had to move back in with parents and i lost my job due to me having to quit due to how bad I've gotten. I'm at the lowest I've been in a long time. But I'm not giving up. I know things can get better. Heck, i can't get any worse than i am so the only way is up from here. Same with you, you may things can't get any worse. So the only way is up from here. Keep fighting, get help and you will feel better

manwithnoname
27-12-15, 15:31
I can't hold down a job because of GAD and difficulties with other people, insecurities and paralyzing and crippling fear and anxiety attacks

Ssmith
27-12-15, 15:42
From looking at your other posts, it seems that you say you've tried everything. But have you tried literally EVERYTHING? Every medication? All therapies? Exercising? Diet? Remember it's just babysteps at first

manwithnoname
27-12-15, 16:53
Yes, I have tried literally everything. My GP said there is nothing more she can offer me in medications - none of them work and some of them make me feel worse. I have tried to get CBT but this was denied to me by my local surgery. I have seen numerous psychiatrists and they are just not interested. I have tried exercising but it is seems hopeless when I am overwhelmed with fatigue from chronic sleeplessness. I don't see how changing my diet is going to make any difference, other people eat what I eat and they are fine.

Ssmith
27-12-15, 17:17
Have you ever been referred to the CMHT? And you could always keep going with psychiatrists until you find one that fits you? I'm struggling to get a referral for a psychiatrist as my GP just keeps going through the SSRI's with me, even though they don't work. It's incredibly frustrating. You could always give MIND a ring who can give you support and guide you through things. Have you tried mindfulness?

cjemc
27-12-15, 17:23
I can't hold down a job because of GAD and difficulties with other people, insecurities and paralyzing and crippling fear and anxiety attacks

I can definitely relate to most of what you say here.

emmalami
27-12-15, 23:11
Yes, I have tried literally everything. My GP said there is nothing more she can offer me in medications - none of them work and some of them make me feel worse. I have tried to get CBT but this was denied to me by my local surgery. I have seen numerous psychiatrists and they are just not interested. I have tried exercising but it is seems hopeless when I am overwhelmed with fatigue from chronic sleeplessness. I don't see how changing my diet is going to make any difference, other people eat what I eat and they are fine.

Have you tried every medication for at least 2/3 months?

Pipkin
27-12-15, 23:42
MWNN,

I really don't mean this to sound patronising in any way - just trying to help. It sounds to me that you're suffering from depression and anxiety, and I'd really recommend that you have a truly open and honest discussion with your GP about exactly how you feel. If that's hard, as it is for many of us, show him/her some of your posts on here.

There are things that can help but you've not found yours yet. I've felt like you do in the past and it's been a long and tough road to get to where I am today but I know it's possible, no matter how you feel now or what your personal circumstances are.

As you say, you've got nothing to lose from giving it another go. And remember that we're all here to listen and support you.

Take care

Pip x

manwithnoname
28-12-15, 19:04
Ssmith - yes, trust me. Life is just pain and suffering

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Pipkin - I have already done all that for over 30 years now

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Ssmith - what is CMHT? I have had enough seeing psychiatrists - none of them have experienced what I have been through. It's like taking your car to be fixed by someone who calls themselves a mechanic but in fact they have only read a service manual and have never driven a car or worked on a car.

Ssmith
28-12-15, 20:08
CMHT is Community Mental Health Team. They have all sorts in their team like psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists, etc. It's something i really want to be referred to as GP's are doing absolutely nothing for me. Keep at it and keep reaching out. Do not suffer in silence. I will keep pushing myself to get better because i know it's what i deserve. Nobody deserves to be in the situations we're in. If you're ever feeling really bad, consider A&E. I haven't been myself but I've considered it, just to be heard and something be done

manwithnoname
29-12-15, 15:50
It just feels like nobody cares, nobody's really interested and I may as well just not be around anymore, the medical professionals have just let me down time and time again. I have even been made to feel like its my fault that I am not getting better quickly enough.