PDA

View Full Version : Not coping

ysuz14
27-12-15, 17:31
Hi, I'm new to this forum but am desperately in need of help. I suffer from periodic panic attacks, usually caused by a trigger e.g. new job, relationship issues etc, but this Christmas I've been absolutely swamped by them. I'm staying with my family, who are being sympathetic (although they are clearly mystified by it all) and I just feel awful about the impact I'm having on everyone's Christmas and new year. In particular my toddler aged nephew is staying and expecting me to play with him, but I just can't focus enough to do anything with him. I have palpitations, the shakes, nausea and vomiting, crying hysterically and just can't think straight. I have some old (and out of date) valium which I've been taking sporadically but it's making me feel more dizzy than back in control. The doctors aren't open until Tuesday. Part of the problem is I feel so ashamed and at a complete loss as to why I feel so bad, in the last few months (since my last attack) I've been eating healthily, not drinking, I've done a mindfulness course and exercised regularly but I haven't managed to prevent this. Does anyone have any advice?

rbm
27-12-15, 17:47
i feel the same way, i am afraid of dementia, can't seem to shake it off, doc says i'm fine, i can't wrap my mind around it...panic attacks, crying, everything turns around the fear of losing my mind.i wake up, think i'm fine and then something happends to make me feel out of it...this is no way to live ! you feel like no matter what you do, you come back to where you started.you probably wake up thinking this and go to sleep exactly the same...always worrying.you must feel trapped over the holidays, with a lot of sympathetic people when all you want is some help! i get you, i've never felt this lost, just hang in there, don't make new year resolutions and take it one day at a time.if the valium is expired, don't take it, it'll do more harm than good ! best of luck

ana
28-12-15, 16:04
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly at the moment, may I ask how long have you suffered with panic attacks, and have you ever sought any professional counselling?
Christmas holidays are stressful for a lot of people. I reckon you're simply overwhelmed with everything that's going on, perhaps the family/Christmas atmosphere and would like to escape somewhere. Your panic attacks are your mind's way of telling you something is not right.

If I were you, I would try and remind myself of all the times I had panic attacks and coped well regardless. These are only feelings, as uncomfortable as they are, they aren't harmful, and will pass.

Hope you feel better :)